Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

I did the feathers with that mite powder today, as a preventative because I was brushing anyway. She's not so messy in season.

So much for my ride and drive today. I spent the afternoon going and fetching the flat 8, driving to a field with brother. Only to get there to find the big baler had beaten us to baling it. So we get on the phone to the person combining who tells us hes up combining another field we could bale from, so on route i go pick up the hay trailer that someone borrowed. We get to the field brother starts baling. We were only baling 50 bales. 30 for a friend of mine for his sheep and 20 to top me up. We finish baling and the guy comes over to tell us weve baled from the wrong field. It was some elses. Filds were next to one another. We were supposed to be baling from the one they were actually currently in combining. Whoops. So the guy we arranged with said hed reimburse with some hestons. Then we get the owner of the field comes over to ask what we were doing. So we explain we misunderstood which field to bale from. He was ok when we said the combine driver would deposit him some hestons. Farmer goes off and brother turns round looks at the baler and says the balers got a puncture. A massive screw gone in the tyre. Honestly couldnt the day get any worse. So i spent the evening delivering and putting away straw.

Just treated myself to some of those large handheld hedge shear things. Probably topped/ cut down 1/4 acre of nettles and docks. Glad didn't go for the cordless as these are probably sharp enough to take your foot off!
So question is, do you have an area that your horse simply won't graze? There is grass there so if she won't touch it, I need to think of what to use that space for.

She's looking so she may nibble behind where I have cut. Saved a patch because come winter she usually likes those dried.

Reactions: Jessey
Storm must not get stung off nettles lol She's fine eating around them, sometimes I cringe seeing them near her face...............................J used to like dried nettles when he was on box rest.

The grass is different here. I don't think I had the variety of flowers before, certainly not that weird cricket thing.

If Jess does it you know because she gets hives all over her face, Hank doesn’t get anything obvious but he will then itch his face until the corners of his mouth/cheeks are raw and scabby.

She's got cuts on her nose so it's been somewhere it shouldn't. I checked all the fencing the other day, but she might have done it on a tree. Anything that hits me on the head has gone though.

We get bad nettles which nothing touches, in our top paddock and the top field. Its where we had our original muck heap for the goats some 40 years ago for a good 10 years. We spray them but they come back. They have also spread. The problem is we only hit them once a year with spray. My brother wont do them again in a year. Ive told him to hit them several times in the year and see if it weakens them but it falls on death ears. I usually strim them off once a year late summer to feed to the calves in there hayracks when then get weaned. They grow back and then the sheep eat the tops in November when they loose some of there bite. Then the cows eat the rest of the stems during December when then get put on them.

I have one paddock that you could put a divide line down as its green on one half the field and brown/green on the other half. Its the type of grass on it and the sheep are not so keen to eat. Although ive noticed since ive had the horses home and been grazing with them its actually lost some of the divide line, so i think maybe the horses have helped improve the pasture overall.

Hogan came in one day in summer with hives all over one side, and making a real fuss over it. Had either rolled in them, or more likely, forced his way through them to try and get through the fence. Twit.

Just settling my coffee with beans on toast. It’s dull here and windy but not too cold. I’m tired even though I had (for me) a good nights sleep. I actually slept for four hours without waking! Go me!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I've had one of those days where I can't wake up properly! I just had some Thornton's chocolate - that helped lol
Back to work tomorrow - boo hiss! Only joking, I know I'm lucky really.

Lunged her after she'd had her fill of lick.
Expect it will fall in the floor as the whole isn't in the middle, it's 3kg as decided it would last her better._20200908_170238.JPG

Reactions: Trewsers
I used to have a lamp made from that stuff. It dissolved in the end. It was quite novel at the time. It was before I had a horse and knew that they made licks out of them!

Im always tired no matter how much sleep i have.

Im exhausted today but its one of my busy days and yesterday i restarted one of my jobs too so that took a bit of remembering where things go when you havent been there for 6 months. Very difficult again this morning but i managed better than last week. Tomorrow will be another long day. Argh

newrider.com