Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

I keep finding things to put on ebay! But it has picked up and I am using the money to get cob things.

The bird seed arrived today, got 20kg. I can't recall when I got a bag of feed for the cob but the birds have one. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I'm tired, and I'm bored of the heat coming back. Doesn't help that I got woken at 4.30 am by the fog horn the other day. We've had men on the moon, can talk face to face with someone 3,000 miles away, but they still have to blow a bloody horn when it's foggy. I suppose shifting 30 bales of hay, and 30 more tomorrow had something to do with it too. Moan moan moan.

Reactions: Trewsers
I'm tired, and I'm bored of the heat coming back. Doesn't help that I got woken at 4.30 am by the fog horn the other day. We've had men on the moon, can talk face to face with someone 3,000 miles away, but they still have to blow a bloody horn when it's foggy. I suppose shifting 30 bales of hay, and 30 more tomorrow had something to do with it too. Moan moan moan.
You gave me a good laugh and have a very good point!

Reactions: Huggy

This was explained to me as being man's responsibility to look after the animals rather than being superior to them - it's all open to interpretation isn't it, and how the original text was translated and retranslated over the years.

Along the same kind of lines, I saw online, a sign in the US that reads "God loves a kind atheist more than a hateful Christian" I rather liked that.

I'm not a devout Christian, although I envy others who do have such faith, but it always rather shocks me when people decide for themselves what God does and doesn't like. I did a Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses years ago and understand that if you're going to adopt the Bible as your instruction book then you have to follow it and not make up rules to suit yourself as you go along.

Which leads to the issue of how do you know which book of religion to follow, which is the right one? I find religion both fascinating and frightening. One recently learned fascinating fact - the Muslim and Jewish religions are very similar. I never knew that!

the Muslim and Jewish religions are very similar. I never knew that!
Yes in that the Orthodox in both religions are bound by interpretations of a traditional law which is written in and interpreted using a religious language.
However, Christianity is also derived from Judaism, and Christianity came before Islam. Moreover, Christianity uses the Jewish bible which Islam does not. Islam is based on the teachings of the Prophet.

Reactions: Bodshi
Got our hay this morning - the latter is full - nice feeling.
I haven't thought about hay. I might buy one bale.
I also thought about the munch block as I have one of those nets. Just to occupy her really. I don't need a cake but it's something to nibble isn't it.

I haven't thought about hay. I might buy one bale.
I also thought about the munch block as I have one of those nets. Just to occupy her really. I don't need a cake but it's something to nibble isn't it.

Ours love the munch blocks, they are definitely keep them happy for a while in winter. I often hang them around the yard - and watch them trying to get into them lol I have the nets that they are meant to be used with. They don't last that long though, I have a net-destroyer :oops:
I actually think they are quite good for them too, they have different vitamins in. I have had the Heavenly Hedgerow one and the other (can't remember it's name). I like all the Equilibrium products - think these are theirs too.

I tried the fodder bricks the Gold Label ones, but they don't seem as keen on those.

I will see what she thinks. She's enjoying the salt lick, she's using it everyday just a few licks.

The birds are on a different brand of seed, tough if they are not as keen. I will get what's on offer in a 20kg bag.
They appear to have eaten two fat balls in one day, but it's not squirrel proof and I don't mind feeding them. Keeps them off the seed.

The guy we got our hay from saud they normally have 5,000 bales, but only managed 3,000 this year. Lovely hay, but expensive.

This was explained to me as being man's responsibility to look after the animals rather than being superior to them - it's all open to interpretation isn't it, and how the original text was translated and retranslated over the years.

I'm not a devout Christian, although I envy others who do have such faith, but it always rather shocks me when people decide for themselves what God does and doesn't like. I did a Bible study with Jehovah's Witnesses years ago and understand that if you're going to adopt the Bible as your instruction book then you have to follow it and not make up rules to suit yourself as you go along.

Which leads to the issue of how do you know which book of religion to follow, which is the right one? I find religion both fascinating and frightening. One recently learned fascinating fact - the Muslim and Jewish religions are very similar. I never knew that!
I take a very simplistic approach to religion. If I get barred at the pearly gates for the odd blasphemous expletive, and some murderer gets in because he said sorry, I'll be fine in purgatory, or better still, wherever all my animals went.

The guy we got our hay from saud they normally have 5,000 bales, but only managed 3,000 this year. Lovely hay, but expensive.
I’ve spoken to about 4 suppliers now and all have been down 40-60% of their normal yields, thankfully my main supplier over produces generally so he’s assured me I won’t go short even with my increased useage

Got to keep busy this morning. Supposed to be having a lesson later. Im terrified, but at the same time excited.

Stinks outside again this morning. Those new neighbours (the party ones), well still dont know for sure as not seen anyone, but theyve had a bonfire going for the last three days in the garden. Previous neighbours never had bonfires. Theres also different lights on in the house and garden at night when ive walked past. So change in pattern is saying new people.

Can you tell i already dislike them. With there party and bonfire. I dont need to meet them to form an opinion. Actions speak loader than words.

Got to keep busy this morning. Supposed to be having a lesson later. Im terrified, but at the same time excited.

Stinks outside again this morning. Those new neighbours (the party ones), well still dont know for sure as not seen anyone, but theyve had a bonfire going for the last three days in the garden. Previous neighbours never had bonfires. Theres also different lights on in the house and garden at night when ive walked past. So change in pattern is saying new people.

Can you tell i already dislike them. With there party and bonfire. I dont need to meet them to form an opinion. Actions speak loader than words.
Enjoy your lesson!

theyve had a bonfire going for the last three days in the garden. Previous neighbours never had bonfires. Theres also different lights on in the house and garden at night when ive walked past.
In London there are laws both on bonfires and on lights in the garden.
I suggest you google to find whether there are bonfire restrictions in your local authority area.

The rules on lights in one's garden probably apply everywhere. I know about them as our new neighbours in London (not British) put in garden lights hung from his trees and I thought how nice they were and that I might get some too. Then I discovered that that type of light was not legal.

Property rights take precedence and any lights in one's garden must not spill over into the neighbouring property. Your right to light in your own garden seems to apply a right to darkness too. Which is why in England most garden lights are at ground level or less than one metre high.
In our case we get on well with these neighbours. We told them we would not complain but would like them to switch the lights off when we go to bed (as they shine in my window) and to remove them when they sell the house.

If you may want to make a complaint (as we did with previous horrid neighbours) the advice from our middle aged daughter was to keep a diary of the nuisance you wanted to complain about. Then to send an informal note to the neighbours asking them not to continue and warning them that you may make a complaint if it continues. In our case that provoked a quite violent outbreak and the neighbour stormed into our house. Luckily one of his kids was a law student, calmed him down and the behaviour stopped.

The laws apply to behaviour that affects your own property. I am not sure one can complain if you only notice as you walk past in the street.

Covid has changed things a bit. People are under stress and in our road I am told there is reporting of people supposed to be breaking quarantine etc. Our nice neighbour drove his sick son to have a Covid test and was reported for breaking quarantine. The Gestapo had a man watching every block of flats and every street of houses. The Gestapo Police were quite few in number and relied on neighbours reporting people.

But your neighbours could also be of help perhaps? Here in London we have neighbourhood watch so unsocial behaviour can be reported to the street group rather than to the Police.

Im fine with there lights, they dont effect me. I just meant they have the outside lights on but the old neighbours very rarely did. Thats what makes me sure its new people. The original neighbours that built the house installed them and used them.

There are no rules for bonfires, we have them ourselves and occasionally have stinky ones. But this has be 3 days in a row of acrid smoke. We are lucky being end of the road our bonfires burn for several days but only effect people using the hill. Generally they dont effect our neighbours. But we are coping smoke blowing in our direction. I feel sorry for my next door neighbours as they sit out in there garden loads.

Most of our neighbours up our road in there million pound houses have installed electric gates. They dont see a darn thing of the antisocial goings on up this road.

newrider.com