Competition dilemma - WWYD?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Wotcha! Hope you're all well and having fun with your neddies! Not been on NR much recently due to extreme busy-ness, but I have a dilemma and thought I'd ask for your opinions and advice.

So me and Roxy are generally going pretty well, jumping courses of 70cm-80cm and doing some low level XC, and we're pretty good in a non-stressful environment, but when it comes to competitions, it all seems to go out the window. Did an ODE a couple of weeks ago but got eliminated during the SJ as the damn horse refused to jump! I forced her over a few but she was having none of it and so we retired. She can be mare-ish, and I get very nervous in competition environments, so I think we were just having an off-day really. My friend who is a very experienced and good rider wants to compete her in a 70cm ODE in a couple of weeks and see how she goes for her. I am dragging my heels though because if she does badly, it's not going to help my confidence, but paradoxically, if she does well, I don't think I'll feel that great about it either! I've put in a lot of work on Roxy and yes we do need a bit of a push to get past the hurdle of the competition environment, but I'm not convinced letting a super-good rider do it for me is the answer.

Thoughts on a postcard please! Or alternatively just post them here. Thank you!

For Jess's first show many moons ago I had a young whipper-snapper take her in for me, she had no nerves and I did frankly so I decided it was best my nerves didn't influence her first show, she won, I was ecstatic and did the next one myself brimming with confidence :D

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
Does your friend ride Roxy regularly, does she know her well?
No! She's hacked her once when I was on holiday. She's ridden lots of difficult horses though. Not that Roxy is difficult - well, she is to be fair, but not dangerous!

For Jess's first show many moons ago I had a young whipper-snapper take her in for me, she had no nerves and I did frankly so I decided it was best my nerves didn't influence her first show, she won, I was ecstatic and did the next one myself brimming with confidence :D
I'm not sure I'd be ecstatic! It may sound mean-spirited, but I've worked hard on her and kind of want to keep any glory for myself!

If you feel your nerves are the reason (which I completely understand) for her to not be going so well at a competition then a confident rider may give Roxy a confidence boost aswell which will help next time you have a go. It's different for them to compared to a session. I just know from experience with nerves that it can have a negative effect on the horse especially if they are a type to need support from the rider.

Reactions: Keren@serendipity
I have had several people offer to take Ben out competing in various disciplines. I struggle with hacking nerves and many people have said that they should take him out on sponsored rides etc. I don't enjoy jumping over 70cm and I have had offers to take him round 80 courses for me so I find the 70 easier.

I have declined all offers and it is very rare that I let anyone else ride him. He is my horse and we are a team together. Having someone else compete him and ride him better than me would just make me feel terrible. I am well aware that a better rider would make him look more flashy and win rosettes, but I don't own him for someone else to ride. If we ever win a red rosette, I want it to be due to our partnership and as a result of our journey together. Not because someone else got him there for me. Where is the satisfaction in that?

Do you think having her ride Roxy would make it easier for you and Roxy to do better next time? If so, then give it a go. If not - because, for example, if she does well it will make you feel even less confident - then don't.

I realise that sounds a bit cut and dried and it won't be that simple!

Do you think having her ride Roxy would make it easier for you and Roxy to do better next time? If so, then give it a go. If not - because, for example, if she does well it will make you feel even less confident - then don't.

I realise that sounds a bit cut and dried and it won't be that simple!
That's pretty much what I am trying to work out. I actually DON'T think it would make me feel more confident. Also - she's my horse and I don't mind if we don't win, or even complete it, it's a work in progress and doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself. So I guess I've answered my own question there! I wouldn't mind if she just wanted to do a round of SJ on her, but as ODEs are my main ambition, I don't want to share that with anyone. Also - I know Roxy can be tricky. It's not just me. Others have ridden her, and some have struggled. Sure, a really experienced rider could almost certainly do better than me, but I'm not sure what I'll actually learn from that, other than that in 10 years time I'll also probably be able to ride her really well! (She'll be 25 by then so it could be a bit easier anyway!)

Well, if a round of showjumping wouldn't bother you, why not let her do that? You might learn a lot from how Roxy goes for her.
I would! But she wants to do this ODE on her, although I've said I don't have any issues taking Roxy XC myself so don't need anyone else doing it for me.

Last edited:
I've love someone else to enter Cally in an ODE. I'd love to watch her jump and fly round the XC. I'd also love to see someone else doing the dressage test on her because I am a bit rubbish at dressage. I would not feel that her going well would detract from my work with her. I have backed her and brought her on. Whatever she knows how to do, she knows because I have taught her. Seeing her going really well with a better rider would be wonderful and would give me something to aspire to. As I have now gone wrong in my last 2 competitions in the SJ I'd like to see how well she could do with a) a better rider and b) someone who knows where they are going!!. I am so proud of her that I want her to shine. It does not have to be with me.

I've love someone else to enter Cally in an ODE. I'd love to watch her jump and fly round the XC. I'd also love to see someone else doing the dressage test on her because I am a bit rubbish at dressage. I would not feel that her going well would detract from my work with her. I have backed her and brought her on. Whatever she knows how to do, she knows because I have taught her. Seeing her going really well with a better rider would be wonderful and would give me something to aspire to. As I have now gone wrong in my last 2 competitions in the SJ I'd like to see how well she could do with a) a better rider and b) someone who knows where they are going!!. I am so proud of her that I want her to shine. It does not have to be with me.

I'll ask my friend if she wants to ride Cally in the ODE then. ;) I've decided that isn't the path I want to take myself. My gut says to keep persevering myself, so that's what I'll do.

Reactions: Jessey and KP nut
We discussed this the other night and I think you have made the choice. She can be a monster but I don't think it is your nerves at all.
I have seen you fying round the XC course and she is amazing. She just shut down that day but then in that class only 4 completed the event in total. The SJ was tricky and the fillers were nasty.

You know I would not let anyone compete Albi at an ODE. Like you and @Mary Poppins he is my boy I have dne he hard work to get him to this point and its not about winning for us its that feeling that we went and did something we never thought we would do and enjoyed it together as a team.

Reactions: squidsin
newrider.com