Compulsory Microchips

Why do I have the, who is going to check, does it matter attitude?
Are people fussing over nothing.

People have had 11 years to put the chip in. So you do that when the comes out for something else.

Because no one wants to work for the government on a big brother horse situation that will not be policed and is worth nothing. basically.

What were pasposrts for? This exact situation. They don’t work.

What were microchips for originally? This. Totally this. But there are many types of chips and readers and this system does not work.

So next system please..... and who pays? The horse owner for sweet FA!

Ok so I’m a bit buggered then, I never got Belles passport changed to my name as it involved sending to Belgium and if I wanted her to have a UK passport I needed to have her graded or something ridiculous, as far as I know she isn’t on the CED but to be honest I don’t even know what that is?

You might have to have her graded if you chose to register her with her breed society, but there are lots of places you can register bit her without a big fee.

From the government website -
The Central Equine Database will mean local authorities and the police can track down owners who abandon their horses, donkeys and ponies, helping to improve animal welfare standards, while also helping prevent horse theft.

"eh no, because those sorts won't chip or register with a vet in the beginning.
It just means they can't be sold through the markets who will check"

In 2019, the RSPCA received more than 21,000 reports to its cruelty hotline and took 875 horses into care. Around 70% of these were not microchipped, making it difficult for the organisation to trace owners and to hold anyone responsible for the cruelty the animals had faced.

"That's one year ago, twelve months - so it's already NOT working then!

I'm clearly lucky to have very organised vets who think about their clients! Little Un had his chip done with his tet jab last year which meant no additional call out fee and was, I think, about £20/25 and they sent of all the paperwork too.
lucky you, i am a bit pissed off that we had jabs done earlier this year and this was never mentioned

Ok so I’m a bit buggered then, I never got Belles passport changed to my name as it involved sending to Belgium and if I wanted her to have a UK passport I needed to have her graded or something ridiculous, as far as I know she isn’t on the CED but to be honest I don’t even know what that is?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's in a muddle. Hogans registered in Ireland, has a UK passport from when he came over, and I have no idea when, or by whom he was microchipped. I'm just winging it really - just seems such a faff.

After a further round of discussions today: Horse Passport Agency with whom i have 2 passports, will not do anything for the two French ones. BHS will i think do Suze as her passport is complete, and is in my name. Tintin's is not complete as the vet lost the original which may or may not have been complete before it was lost. I have to apply for a duplicate passport for him, which means i have to have the silhouette re-done, and they will re-use his chip and unique identity number, so basically the entire process bar the chip. I have the page with his french silhouette signed by the vet in France but they won't accept that, it has to be on their paper...... Suze's passport can be sent in and re-registered on the UK database by BHS hopefully just by paying a fee.. Aimee i have to chip and again pay another fee for it to be registered. So the total fannying around will be £120 plus.

For Kite Rider, you might be able to get BHS to provide a duplicate passport but the change of name may be an issue. But as long as you have proof of purchase that may work. If you get it changed in Belgium to your name, and French authorities wanted Euros 70 just for that, then you will also have to pay a second fee to have the belgian one stamped by BHS in UK so it appears on the UK register. So probably cheaper to see if they can do a duplicate in your name in one stage.

Suggest you contact passport@bhs.org.uk I have been dealing with Sue Dawson.

Last edited:
I sent Suze's passport back to BHS for endorsement and they have rejected it. Even if it is bound, even if it has a silhouette, slaughter page etc, IF the silhouette is not signed by a vet it will be rejected by BHS for endorsement.

When passports first came out you didn't have to have the silhouette signed by a vet if i remember correctly but i am now being told that her passport is non compliant and will need to get a reissued one which means vet has to come out and start from scratch.

Given we are still in the EU, this passport should be compliant.

Removal of the diagram of the horse – the ‘silhouette’ From 1 st August 2009, the diagram of the horse (silhouette) won‟t be compulsory in newly issued passports because the horse will be microchipped to confirm its identity instead. However, if your horse is registered with a breed society, their individual rules may state that you still need a silhouette or record other identification marks, which will not otherwise replace the requirement for a microchip.

TBH even though I have sorted mine out I think its a huge waste of time anyway. Those who dump horses aren't going to register chips to themselves and the majority of people who have non UK passports either won't know that they have to do anything, or won't bother anyway.

Same with dogs - I see dozens of posts a week about found dogs with either no microchip or out of date details.

Reactions: carthorse
TBH even though I have sorted mine out I think its a huge waste of time anyway. Those who dump horses aren't going to register chips to themselves and the majority of people who have non UK passports either won't know that they have to do anything, or won't bother anyway.

Same with dogs - I see dozens of posts a week about found dogs with either no microchip or out of date details.
What annoys me Gary is that all of mine have passports but are having to be redone to comply, they are all chipped except Aimee who is 33

Reactions: GaryB
We cant get one of our dogs changed, we tried. It was my nans dog which we inherited but the rehoming kennels have closed and my nan passed away so nothing can be confirmed. Ridiculous system.

BHS have rejected Suze's french passport despite her having a UELN number, a chip, a silhouette (unsigned) and vaccinations record in the passport. They may be rejecting it as it is not bound, only stapled, and that her food chain status is open but they don't say why they are rejecting it. So have gone back to them again as don't want to get the bloody vet out twice. I think they are contravening EU laws, in rejecting reciprocity i.e. we are still part of the EU and should be accepting passports from other EU countries.

• Angry
The whole thing is a farce. The deadline in Scotland is March 2021. I got the Scottish government information through just before I had baby 5 weeks ago. They actually ask you on the information to send it back if you no longer have a horse (to send to someone else knowing the SG, great in this time of covid!). No horse is exempt. I've already argued about Toby who is 27 and freeze marked. Chips weren't available when I bought him, and I've no intention of putting him through unnecessary procedures.

The whole thing is a farce. The deadline in Scotland is March 2021. I got the Scottish government information through just before I had baby 5 weeks ago. They actually ask you on the information to send it back if you no longer have a horse (to send to someone else knowing the SG, great in this time of covid!). No horse is exempt. I've already argued about Toby who is 27 and freeze marked. Chips weren't available when I bought him, and I've no intention of putting him through unnecessary procedures.
i have not received my info pack from the as yet and i have a 33 year old donkey in the same boat as Toby

newrider.com