condition without hyperness

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
Any ideas on what I could feed my new TB to get him in better condition but without making him hyper? I have sugarbeet but I suppose that can't be fed on it's own.. or just plenty of hay?

Hi IrishDQ, not sure if it is actually possible to feed without *some* hyperness, because of the extra calories/energy and all that!

Just wondering why you don't think you should feed sugarbeet on its own though?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently he can't be ridden anyway so I suppose I'll just focus on getting him healthy, I was just under the impression that feeding sugar beet on it's own wouldn't be giving him a balanced diet? I'm going to get him some grain and mix that with sugarbeet anyway, hopefully will build him up. I feed my cob cool n easy with no oats, would he be better with 12% competition mix for gaining weight? :confused:

Last edited:
I don't know if you can get Top Spec products in Ireland? If you can then I'd really recommend their Comprehensive balancer plus Cool Condition cubes. Both are cereal free so less likely to hot him up (I've had no problems with my horse on them & he can get very sharp on most feeds), the cubes are great for weight gain & the balancer will give him a full vit & min dose plus help him use the other feed more efficiently.

Otherwise I'd add a good vit & min supplement & add alfalfa & maybe linseed to the sugar beet then feed as much good grass & hay as possible. Personally I'd avoid cereals if I could.

hi

i had a tb and i gave him a supplement called sumo it has everything in it and with in a few weeks he was looking grt a good shine on his coat and he put on weight and its non heating works wonders

he won't eat sugar beet :eek: he must eat grain though, surely nothing can resist grain... :eek:

He might not resist it, but as with junk food for people, it might be yummy, but generally bad for the horse.

If you're wanting to put weight on him, haven't got him in hard work and you don't want him 'hyper', I'd definitely stay well away from grain. It can cause a myriad of health issues, of which being 'hyper' can be a symptom of - not nec just from extra energy.

thanks, might just try him on some cool n easy which is supposed to be non-heating with sunflower oil, see if he'll eat that. it's what I give my cob and it doesn't make him hyper anyway.

newrider.com