Congratulations Esther.D and Ollopy Backwards!

Hullo folks! I'm the bertie from the IHDG, but as Bertie was taken on here I've had to use Bert's proper name of Klebert!

Right... where to start.

Oh.. I know.... OMG!!! What on earth was the Judge thinking in letter such appallingly fitting harness into their ring? Judging is what I am aiming for once passing my BDS exams and I am not sorry to say but those competitors would have been having a quiet word in their ear!!

Correctly fitting harness is a necessity, whether it be a breast or full collar and wether you are using light horses or heavy horse - period!!

Unfortunately photo bucket is down (again), so I will need to post again when it's back online.

Colonel - may I ask where abouts are you in the Country?

Hello Bertie, Klebert.....whoever :D :D

Thanks for coming to hlep out, plough gear and stuff is beyond me!

And wern't they great shots of how not to harness up? I tell you, I am still upset, my nerves, my nerves! Just found out the judge is not qualified to judge harness or driven turnouts!!!! So where in the show's risk assesment does that fit then??

I know, let's have a lumberjack contest, you know, where they chop trees into interesting shapes with chains saws! I know nothing about chainsaws, but hey, let's give them to the kids to play with too! (I am fairly certain too that one turnout was manned by two kids, and the accepted norm is that no child under 16 is allowed to drive in the ring unless accompanied by a competent adult)

Hello Kleburt

I am in South Wales, Cwmbran to be exact.

I have never worked a plough, harrow or roller with a harnessed horse before.

My mare is 14.2/14.3hh Section D (Dam Section C, Sire Section D) shall post a piccie of her but she is a lot fatter now!

Gabbyterriflickahorsesjul07003.jpg

Gabbyterriflickahorsesjul07014.jpg

Last edited:
The pics above were taken in june when we thought she was pregnant. She is in fact a bit thinner and is starting to be worked more often now.

I have noticed that the breeching strap support over the horses quarters all vary in their position. Is there a correct position for it to be in or just an optimum position?

Hiya! Call me Tara... it'll be much easier! ;)

Photobucket is still down... but will keep trying (as I have lots of pics to share with you all!) :D

She's a cracking little mare and I'm sure will be very apt at a life 'in the collar'. The reason I asked where about you were is that I hoped you would be close enough to a chap that I would 100% recommend that you visit before trying to work your mare.

His name is Jonathan Waterer and he is in North Devon.

http://www.heavy-horses.net/

Jonathan still works his horses on his farm - logging, harrowing, ploughing, rolling, planting crops, spreading dung etc etc and he also does weddings, funerals and rides too (this man has perfected the 28 hour day)!

I sent my Breton, Podge there in January to be trained up and have already pre-booked my youngster in for two years time! Seriously... he is that good!
He is also a very very good teacher for humans wanting to learn the art of using horses in harness. :)

The correct position for the seat of breeching is half way between the hock and the dock.

The easiest way to think about it is that it needs to sit on the area of the rump where there is least movement when the horse walks... however! Too high and it could slip under the horses tail and cause it to buck (plus be useless) and too low could cause the horses legs to be swept out from underneath it when going down hill!

Unfortuately there is a shire driver in my local club that thinks the latter is actually correct and when I tried to be helpful and actually adjusted it to the correct position, the wife came along and adjusted it straight back to being low enough that it bangs on the horses hocks! AGGHHHHH!! :mad:

Photobucket is back up, so apologies for lots of photos! :p

This is cart harness, with a cart pad (large square pad on Podges back) and full breeching. If you remember that if the implement that you use has shafts (as this logger does and as a roller will have) then you will need to use a cart pad and breeching.

This is Jonathan training Podge for logging...
CA2RSTUV.jpg

CA2RABUD.jpg

When you are doing something like harrowing or ploughing, then you do not need breeching, however in the below pictures of my pair ploughing last October you will see breeching! This is simply because the type of harness they are wearing is an Armish made harness (from Canada) and they use the breeching to also hold the collars in place.

Gib_Bertplow2.jpg

GibBertplow3.jpg

I use Armish adjustable collars for working my horses, as they are inexpensive and you are able to adjust them by three inches depending on the season (and how fat or lean your horse is).

Jonathan also uses the same harness makers in Canada as I do, but the style of harness that he uses is slightly different in so far as it is a belly-backer style as opposed to a New England D style that I prefer (horses for courses really).

DSCF0012.jpg

How exciting!

Where would I be able to get a collar from? Obviously don't want to spend too much at this stage but it must also be useable and safe.

Don't think my husband would let me send her away to somewhere else as first the cost and then he would miss 'his girl'! (I think they are having a bit of a relationship actually!)

I am going to continue the basic stuff with the breast harness - would that be okay for pulling the harrows? I do believe I have to get two going to be able to pull the harrows as well so will use my daughters gelding - will try and find a piccie.

Gabbyterriflickahorsesjul07011.jpg

This is the best recent one I am afraid. He has a very straight back and seems to move like a trotter, except that he moves with a very short stride in the hind.

Last edited:
If we do manage to buy our croft house (there is a possibility in the air for the house, not the land, the the house and kale yard...everything crossed) then something like that would be ideal for cultivating our kale yard! I'd love to have a play with something like that, one day (if it happens) we'll have to see if we can get one made.

What I would recommend is going to Jonathan for a few lessons yourselves first, before trying to get your mare to pull anything... especially harrows.

I've had a nasty accident when a large pony I was using to pull a single harrow was stung and then bolted and falling on a moving harrow is not an experience I would wish on anyone!

Why not give him a call and see what he has to say - the cost isn't as bad as you may think it could be! ;) And this is the reason why I recommend him so much...

The the above picture of Podge (who I travelled from Jersey in the Channel Islands to Devon in January this year for Jonathan to train to drive) with one of Jonathan's shires was taken after his first drive ever!

And the below pictures are what we have achieved in the few months since.

Driving as a pair with my horse Gibus - April 2007
DSCF0007.jpg

Horse Driving Trials - Dressage section - May 2007
012_25.jpg

Horse Driving Trials - marathon section - May 2007
024_13.jpg

026_11.jpg

Showing in exercise vehicle - May 2007
PodgeShow2May07.jpg

Showing in my Ralli Car - June 2007
010_15.jpg

What I'm trying to say (and not doing too well at it) is that I have been driving since I was 12 years old (and I'm 33 now) and I have trained a number of ponies and horses up to drive in that time. I would consider myself a fairly experience competitor, having shown,, competed at driving trails and having competed in plouging matches too. However, I feel that I have learnt a lot from Jonathan, not only with working with him with Podge, but with working with him in general... especially around farm machinery.

Does that make sense... or should I go and have another gin and tonic and try again later?? ;):p:D

Feel that I have somewhat hi-jacked this thread - ever so sorry Esther.D:eek:

I am going to start a new post perhaps we can carry on there?

Think thats a great idea Esther.D.

i have already sent an email to the Heavy Horse Trainer - fingers crossed he comes back with good news!:)

My uncle used to work horses, on his farm and his father's farm.

He has given me a few pointers, but there's nothing like hands on experience.

I might just ahve to go along, and visit your chap in the south next time I am down that way.

That boy of yours is mighty light on his feet for a heavy.......

I was watching the Clydesdales (sadly my least fave heavy breed) and they are a bit lumbering.

Thanks Jo!

He really does 'daisy cut' at a trot, which is just so unusual and which really makes him stand out. I had to have front put on him for his training and his action changed so much... he went from being my floaty 'show pony' (yes... I am slightly mad and do call him this :p) to having quite a knee action. :eek: As soon as he was home, the shoes came straight off and within a week I had my floaty boy back! :D

How about a NR intro weekend? See how many would like to have a go and perhaps see about a more educational stay after trialling it?

I would be up for it!:)

newrider.com