Cooper’s 12th Week – make a pot of tea or open a bottle of wine before reading!

I'm awake...I made it!! ;)

What a lovely week you had. Isn't he coming on a treat and I'm so glad that you're not letting anyone rush you into anything. You bring him on at a pace to suit you both and you know for a fact that he'll come out the other end as a better horse than one which is simply rushed through it's training and forced to do things.

A few people on our yard have commented on the pace that we are bringing Pepper on but I'm paying no attention...slow and steady works for me. I wonder why she comes over to be caught for me and didn't for other people, perhaps because she enjoys my version of ridden work and wasn't too keen on their methods. Sorry...went off on a tangent there!

I had to laugh at the trotting poles videos...I like his way of tackling them at first :D I think he's got the hang of it now though.

Lovely, lovely update

That was really interesting to read!! Pictures & Videos were excellent as per usual. Sounds like you're coming on a treat, by the sound/look of it you, OH and Cooper are very well suited for eachother. :) You have a soothing effect on him, and more than likely he has a soothing effect on you (maybe not all the time :p) Keep all the updates coming!
Thanks, Sam.

Fabulous - I can't believe its 12 weeks since you got him. You are both coming on leaps and bounds, and glad you are not hung up on how slow progress is compared to Harry. Cobs do tend to mature later, so anything you do with him now, slowly and calmly is so much more beneficial to his long term progress.

You should be very proud of yourself (and Cooper of course):D :D

Yeay Dee! Lovely to see and read! I was absolutely enthralled to the very end. In fact, I will probably go right back to the top and read it all again soon! Well done for managing the balloon and umbrella AND the camera! Laughed at his face with the balloon.... standing rock solid, completely unsure of what to make of it round his nether regions and then when you let the air come out..... :D :D :D

He is SUCH a lovely boy with his enormously bouncy trot, bless. You take his education at your own speed.... he is only 4 and you have many many years ahead of you... what's the rush?

Hope you managed to reach a compromise regarding the recurrent lameness of May. If you can get the weight off her you may find that she eases up a bit anyway.... that's a lot of weight on her joints and feet :rolleyes:

You mentioned being "proud as a peacock" and that reminded me..... Cherry and I had to ride past a peacock today. It was on the wall of a railway bridge, facing away from us so all it's plumage (sp??)... well, his tail feathers, were all sticking out across half of our path ahead. I'm always nervous with peacocks as I fear they will suddenly fan out and scare the pants off Chez!!! She tip-toed bravely up to it and when she was one step past it she trotted off up the bridge!!! :D Settled her down and feeling relieved, I relaxed and she took off again at a trot, caught me unawares - I turned round and the blasted thing had jumped down into the road so she was now convinced this scary monster was after her!!! :D :D :D It was hilarious!!! Coming home it was back on the bridge wall and then hopped off out of sight. Chez did an "ET" neck to see where it had gone but we passed by uneventfully.... phew!

Anyway, back to your activities.... I think you are both doing soooo well. He gets a lovely variety of education and he seems to be responding so well. You've only had him 12 weeks so I think you are working wonders. And as for riding in contact and outline.... I agree... it's bloomin hard work. Chez is very sensitive to the leg and I find it very difficult juggling enough leg to push her forward without her trotting. Still I shall be very proud of my achievements in the end. I am at the opposite end of the scale from you.... years of not having to ride on the bit so we have a BIG habit to break!!!

Looking forward to next week....

Lotsaluv Jane xxxx

Last edited:
I'm having a bit 'o trubble with the piccies ( could be that bottle of wine you told me to drink), but *** a wonderful post - you are helping to set goals for Pi and me!

Whats the news with the share and the lameness? do look out for yourself!

J
XX

Edited to ask why the word spelled w.. o..t always appears as ***? Is it a swear word I dont know about??!!

Last edited:
What a good boy. :D You are both doing so well with him. I am very pleased for your both, you have a fantastic support group and that is priceless. But the most priceless thing is your relationship with Cooper. I am so happy that you and your OH are living the dream with your big lad. It is an amazing feeling isnt it??:D

One day Dee, when I drive up from Wiltshire to visit my mum in Twickenham, I am DEFINITELY going to have to detour round to incorporate a visit to meet Cooper!!!

One day..... :D

Thanks for another great post, he really is a star, how did you keep a straight face with the balloon I would have been on the floor, having said that I have a very infantile sense of humour:D , well done all of you!

Whatanejit said:
Hey NN - a bit early for you isn't it? You usually respond about 1 in the morning - a bit of a night owl:D :D
I am hoping our bubble won't burst!

xx
Dee

You know me too well Dee!! Me thinks I am going to start logging in on in an alias and pretend I am from Australia. :p

I had an early night tonight and then got up and told OH I was off again as what is the point of sitting in bed wide awake and wondering what I have missed on NR. :D

Lol, I got through it but I didn't stretch to reading the replies :p

Love the spook - what a wuss :p
Love the head-turning when you stuck the balloon between his legs :D

That picture from below is fabulous and what a good boy he was all week. I have many good things to say about the pessoa, but it would be hard work for a young unbalanced horse - and quite repetitive. I would definately favour it over sidereins/etc and also another step for desensitising :)
Don't take that other riders views to harshly, Coopers coming on so well and you've all the time in the world, it takes so much more effort and time to re-do things than it does to teach them in the first place.

Lovely update Dee, as always.:D Amazing how far you've both come.

I'm doing some work with Sennie with England flags too. I carry one with me when I turn him out or bring him in, and there's one attached to his stable door. We've progressed to being able to wiggleit about, and he is so used to the one on his door he'll push his nose through it. It only took about an hour to get him that far, so well worth doing I thought. Only problem is other yard people think I'm some crazy football fan.:eek: I've had a couple of comments on the "taking it a bit far" lines.:rolleyes: ;)

newrider.com