Coronavirus

It’s scare and panic mongering by the new and media, I am not worrying I have illnesses but it won’t stop me living my life.
Nor me.

But personally I wouldn't be traveling abroad just now - in case you end up with someone who shows symptoms and that country decides to lock down and quarantine.
In four out of five cases symptoms are mild. I would hate to be trapped overseas.

Am I right in that it's been passed from animals to us?
I was told by someone that the virus was found on the scales of some lizard that was used in Chinese medicine. However that person also told me that people in China were deliberately coughing into their hands and then rubbing them on door handles etc to spread the disease. Why people believe everything they read is beyond me. Maybe it is true, but I wouldn't bank on anything I read on FB being gospel!

I was told by someone that the virus was found on the scales of some lizard that was used in Chinese medicine. However that person also told me that people in China were deliberately coughing into their hands and then rubbing them on door handles etc to spread the disease. Why people believe everything they read is beyond me. Maybe it is true, but I wouldn't bank on anything I read on FB being gospel!

it was pangolins that are illegally trafficked despite being a protected species, they suspected they were a source of the virus,

• Angry
Reactions: Bodshi
I'm worried yes but I'm not reading any papers or facebook stories. Current science is showing that's it's similar to flu with possibility that the death rate is slightly higher. Until they know more we won't know more but I know people who have been tested and who are self isolating and it's all very close to home

I have hardly given it a thought, I don't watch or read the news really, just heard chatter about it. But perhaps I should be concerned as I'm off to Vegas and LA in 2 weeks, multiple flights, none desperately short, and bus rides. Is antibac hand stuff even effective for it? I might have to get some.

Yes I think the anti bac gel is good if you haven't got soap and water.

Reactions: Jessey
I cant tell you what to do now - but, looking back, we went to the USA Mid West at the height of a previous scare. My OH thinks it was swine flu. We took lots of hand clean gel with us and also found handwash gel at the entrance to public buildings like libraries where we went to use computers for email in those days.

Employers are currently at their South African house. There are no known cases in SA yet. Mrs was insistent that they wore masks on the flight out but Mr didn't want to because no-one else was, so they didn't. They are due home in a fortnight and in the 4 weeks that they've already been away things have really ramped up with outbreaks and news coverage so she tells me they will definitely be wearing masks to come home. She's 77 and has a dicky heart and obvs on the dialysis, so she needs to be careful.

According to statistics flu kills up-to 60,000 a year, weird that more isn't done to prevent the spread of that, but I suppose it's because scientists know how that virus works. If coronavirus mutates (if that's a thing) then I guess we are in serious trouble

Reactions: carthorse
According to statistics flu kills up-to 60,000 a year, weird that more isn't done to prevent the spread of that, but I suppose it's because scientists know how that virus works. If coronavirus mutates (if that's a thing) then I guess we are in serious trouble
Yes and that's why they offer a vaccine to the those most at risk.
There isn't yet a vaccine for this.

I have to decide whether to go to centre of Edinburgh on sunday, to a very busy restaurant, just after half term so lots of families been abroad, large Chinese student population and very crowded. I have athsma and OH is on lots of meds for a heart condition

Ale, if you were in an older age group, you would know that masses is done both with vaccine and government advertising to make sure vulnerable people and health care professinals all have flu jabs every autumn. Some age groups get an anti pneumonia jab too. And to provide the extra NHS capacity needed.
It doesnt always prevent the flu but when we do get it it may be milder.

Ale, if you were in an older age group, you would know that masses is done both with vaccine and government advertising to make sure vulnerable people and health care professinals all have flu jabs every autumn. Some age groups get an anti pneumonia jab too. And to provide the extra NHS capacity needed.
It doesnt always prevent the flu but when we do get it it may be milder.
Sorry I should have been clearer, if you have the flu they don't tell you to self isolate etc. Unless I've missed that too? So despite all the vaccines that many people still die as that's quite scary!

Sorry I should have been clearer, if you have the flu they don't tell you to self isolate etc. Unless I've missed that too? So despite all the vaccines that many people still die as that's quite scary!
Two points here - if one has flu one is indeed asked not to go to one's GP. I am a great user of the NHS choices website. It lists under flu the more severe symtoms that might cause one to ring for advice. Otherwise self treat at home.
People do die of flu, often older p[eople with other health problems but younger people can have complications with flu and die or be left damaged. I dont now how the flu death rates copare with the number of deaths on our roads - we tend to ignore the risks of normal life. When one starts to ride or play rugby football (the riskiest sports), it is not as if one's previous life was risk free.

Last edited:
I have to decide whether to go to centre of Edinburgh on sunday, to a very busy restaurant, just after half term so lots of families been abroad, large Chinese student population and very crowded. I have athsma and OH is on lots of meds for a heart condition
It's saying we don't need to change our lives unless blah blah.
That's fine, but as we know people won't be self isolating, or if they are "will just pop out" or as happened here walk into the doctors and that locks down.

A cold messes my health up, so I would be declining a social thing right at this moment.
Look at it from a horse point of view. You can choose to go showjumping without a body protector or use one. The risk is the same but you can minimise things.

I agree Ale. Flu causes a lot of illness and deaths every year despite vaccines, the cynic in me thinks the reason we aren't given advice to self isolate etc is that it would cause havoc to the economy every year and that's a bigger issue. Also we're familiar with flu and there is an element of familiarity breeds contempt. We don't know this strain of the corona virus and there's been a lot of scaremongering in the media so people are panicking.

@diplomaticandtactful if it was me and the trip to Edinburgh isn't necessary then I wouldn't go. The risks probably are low given I understand the virus doesn't live for long outside the body (or that's what scientists currently think, it may change), but you're clearly worrying about it so what's the point in going? If you or OH did get it you'd always wonder if not going would have prevented it and blame yourselves.

I agree Ale. Flu causes a lot of illness and deaths every year despite vaccines, the cynic in me thinks the reason we aren't given advice to self isolate etc is that it would cause havoc to the economy every year and that's a bigger issue. Also we're familiar with flu and there is an element of familiarity breeds contempt. We don't know this strain of the corona virus and there's been a lot of scaremongering in the media so people are panicking.

@diplomaticandtactful if it was me and the trip to Edinburgh isn't necessary then I wouldn't go. The risks probably are low given I understand the virus doesn't live for long outside the body (or that's what scientists currently think, it may change), but you're clearly worrying about it so what's the point in going? If you or OH did get it you'd always wonder if not going would have prevented it and blame yourselves.

Very sensible advice @carthorse this is exactly what I wanted to say but you said it all!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com