Coronavirus

What's wrong with that?
Its probably a longtime overdue that the work that's expected to be crammed in is looked at.

I never understood homework, it just teaches you that you take your work home and you can't switch off. So many adults still do that and it screws up any family life.

I was lucky and never got much home work at secondary school.
I would have loved it at primary - my home life was so boring at the weekends! I used to relish anything that would occupy me. I remember once we were given a workbook to do, I romped through that and loved it. Wishing that it would be every weekend. I suspect it was just something that they were trialling as it never happened again.
But I do see your point about not switching off - and that home is home and all of that. I work from home now so that's different again. But in my early twenties I could rarely switch off from work - OH was the same and we were old before our time lol

NZ has a more relaxed and flexible education system than the UK and I can't imagine shifting to a 4-day school week would be much of a big deal. Plus homeschooling and correspondence learning are already really popular here, so there's already a good support system in place for kids when they're not physically in school.
I don't know enough about economics to know if going to a 4-day work week would be (a) viable or (b) a good idea. But Jacinda is thinking about creating a brand new Public Holiday weekend to encourage domestic tourism as currently our next one isn't til October. That I would definitely be on board with!

I think ours is this weekend or next. Though the behaviour of people heading to my area that makes the national news suggests some our having one big holiday already!
I think the problem with this country now is people are not listening to the news anyway, they think lockdown is over because they can go where they like. And they will be back at work in August, kids in September.

As @Trewsers said can we clone her.

Reactions: Trewsers
To me the bottom line is, the longer the social distancing goes on, the more it will slowly erode our mental health.
Sending a child to school, taping off the books, games, climbing frames, removing the toys and telling them to keep away from other children isn't a place to learn.
Schools here are saying no they won't be opening, along with parents saying they won't be sending. I don't have kids and I wouldn't send into that, not because of the virus risk, but because it looks like a prison camp.

Reactions: carthorse
I saw my old school was contemplating sending year 10s and 12s back in june. Whilst on the one hand im not sure any schools should go back till September. I actually was talking to mum the other day and said. The ones that are important are the ones that will be studying for there exams next year. I believe they are more important than sending primary school kids back to school just now. Parents probably have enough skills to home school there young kids, where as they would probably struggle to assist with teaching maths and science stuff that the kids need for exams next year. Therefore sending the year 10s and 12s back would be more important as long as they are able to be taught by the appropriate staff for there subject. Not a supply or stand in teacher just because they are at school.
Sending them back to a supply teacher is just pointless in my view. I remember when i was at school studying french. A subject i really loved but after various staff came and went and we ended up with supply teachers who couldnt speak a word of french and we were told to work from a book the whole class struggled. Needless to say it turned into a disaster of a subject.

To me the bottom line is, the longer the social distancing goes on, the more it will slowly erode our mental health.
Sending a child to school, taping off the books, games, climbing frames, removing the toys and telling them to keep away from other children isn't a place to learn.
Schools here are saying no they won't be opening, along with parents saying they won't be sending. I don't have kids and I wouldn't send into that, not because of the virus risk, but because it looks like a prison camp.

Yes it is eroding our mental health - but, if we can stamp out the virus now - then the social distancing will end at some point.............least that's what I keep telling myself. I wouldn't send my kids if I had any, I'd be enjoying home schooling them too much (I think!)

The problem is, there's so many variables in family structure. My daughter wants to work while off uni. So, I'd have the two boys. Lovely - I love having them, they're a joy. But - one's 6, one's 2, they're fab little boys, good as gold, but as lively as a box of frogs. Home schooling the 6 year old is fine (I'm a qualified junior school teacher), but with a 2 year old bodger on the loose? My daughter's done a good job up to this point, but both she and my son (with 6 year old daughter - very eager to learn, and very bright) are finding the kids are struggling now - they're missing school, and missing their friends. If they have to go back, I'd have half classes - half morning, half afternoon, spaced out desks, no playtime needed for that short spell, and teachers would be on normal hours. I'm not saying I categorically think they have to go back, just that it's incredibly complicated, either way.

I think ours is this weekend or next. Though the behaviour of people heading to my area that makes the national news suggests some our having one big holiday already!
I think the problem with this country now is people are not listening to the news anyway, they think lockdown is over because they can go where they like. And they will be back at work in August, kids in September.

As @Trewsers said can we clone her.

I actually couldn't believe my ears this morning, Mr KR had got an article on his lap top from the BBC covering an old quarry pit in our area that is used for swimming and diving, they were open yesterday (by appointment) and were interviewing a lady who had just got out following a swim, her words 'we couldn't resist coming for a swim now that lock down is over' so if thats what the majority of people think were all buggered.

The problem is, there's so many variables in family structure. My daughter wants to work while off uni. So, I'd have the two boys. Lovely - I love having them, they're a joy. But - one's 6, one's 2, they're fab little boys, good as gold, but as lively as a box of frogs. Home schooling the 6 year old is fine (I'm a qualified junior school teacher), but with a 2 year old bodger on the loose? My daughter's done a good job up to this point, but both she and my son (with 6 year old daughter - very eager to learn, and very bright) are finding the kids are struggling now - they're missing school, and missing their friends. If they have to go back, I'd have half classes - half morning, half afternoon, spaced out desks, no playtime needed for that short spell, and teachers would be on normal hours. I'm not saying I categorically think they have to go back, just that it's incredibly complicated, either way.
My son's primary school sent round a 5 page document detailing how school will be when they return. It sounds like a prison. 2m apart at all times. Sitting in rows, not sharing anything. No PE, no mixing with people outside their 'bubble', no playing at break. It really did sound dreadful. Kids are supposed to enjoy school and have fun, returning to school with rules such as these is going to be a miserable experience and will increase anxiety as there will be ones who will always try and push the boundaries. Under normal circumstances a child swapping a pencil with another child is no big deal. Now, children may fear that this small act will make them contract COVID 19 and they will bring it home and kill their loved ones. As hard as homeschooling is, and after 9 weeks of homeschooling a 10 year old and 13 year old, I something feel like sticking my head in my oven, I won't be sending them back until the 2m apart rule is lifted. Even if that means keeping up this routine until 2021.

I actually couldn't believe my ears this morning, Mr KR had got an article on his lap top from the BBC covering an old quarry pit in our area that is used for swimming and diving, they were open yesterday (by appointment) and were interviewing a lady who had just got out following a swim, her words 'we couldn't resist coming for a swim now that lock down is over' so if thats what the majority of people think were all buggered.
And she should have been corrected on air for saying it.
It's not, we have four stages to move into level 3. It may not be fully lifted for months and months of we can't control it.
The trouble is the PM took too long to tell people about the phases, most have now simply switched off the TV.

My son's primary school sent round a 5 page document detailing how school will be when they return. It sounds like a prison. 2m apart at all times. Sitting in rows, not sharing anything. No PE, no mixing with people outside their 'bubble', no playing at break. It really did sound dreadful. Kids are supposed to enjoy school and have fun, returning to school with rules such as these is going to be a miserable experience and will increase anxiety as there will be ones who will always try and push the boundaries. Under normal circumstances a child swapping a pencil with another child is no big deal. Now, children may fear that this small act will make them contract COVID 19 and they will bring it home and kill their loved ones. As hard as homeschooling is, and after 9 weeks of homeschooling a 10 year old and 13 year old, I something feel like sticking my head in my oven, I won't be sending them back until the 2m apart rule is lifted. Even if that means keeping up this routine until 2021.
This ^^ with knobs on.

I saw the video footage and prison was the first thing I thought of.
The chain gang was the second with everyone in a line, there will be no talking either because that far away from your friends at best you can wave, I know I do it if I see anyone who looks familiar!
The playing in a bubble was the only positive I picked up that there is some home for adults to meet up with more than one other person, at some point.

The distancing is here to stay until at least Christmas. Maybe even into 2121.
The pubs and cafes are reorganising furniture and some are thinking of re developing the snug. Once you put that sort of money into a business to completely redesign it, it will stay like that.
The hospitals are putting in screens between patients, not for the short term, but they are thinking of a few years - in case we get a second wave.

We are almost being put into little boxes, the only thing missing is the lid!

• Wow
My daughter's just had an email from the school. They're going back for half days. Even with the limitations, I think my grandson will benefit, and not be too bothered by 3 hours of stricter distancing. Each to his own I think, it's good that we have a choice. Most of Europe seems to be following this route.

My daughter's just had an email from the school. They're going back for half days. Even with the limitations, I think my grandson will benefit, and not be too bothered by 3 hours of stricter distancing. Each to his own I think, it's good that we have a choice. Most of Europe seems to be following this route.

Yes I suppose it won't bother some kids. I hope it works out okay for your grandson.

Reactions: Huggy
Yes I suppose it won't bother some kids. I hope it works out okay for your grandson.
It's not so much that I am bothered by the distancing, it's how mentally draining it is after two hours.
Having to remember not to do something you have always done is tiring. That maybe just me because I only go out for a max of two hours a day.

It's not so much that I am bothered by the distancing, it's how mentally draining it is after two hours.
Having to remember not to do something you have always done is tiring. That maybe just me because I only go out for a max of two hours a day.

Oh no, I'm with you on the remembering to do not do something - it's what we've been brought up with and now everything has turned on it's head and we're being told to follow a different way of life.

newrider.com