Coronavirus

Yes I am all for knocking this virus on the head, yes I am supportive of the guidelines, yes we need to keep the R down etc etc, but I ruddy hope this isn't the new normal they were referring to.
Isolation everytime you go outside the house.
Well, I'm very much afraid I think it will be, for a while at least. I can't see how the virus will just go away on its own, I think the only way things can change are if enough of us catch it (which is why I think they're relaxed the lockdown rules) and we achieve the mystical 'herd immunity' or we get a vaccine, which may never happen. Unless when we get the antibody test pushed out to everyone we miraculously discover that most of us have already had the virus of course. Otherwise how can you change things? Maybe if everyone had properly isolated right at the beginning the virus would have died a death because it wouldn't have been able to spread, but that didn't happen either.

Maybe the 'track and trace', or whatever it's called, will do the trick? I haven't really paid too much attention to how it's going to work or when it's being launched to be honest.

I'm looking forward to the bank holiday weekend. I've been working as normal (only from home) throughout, as has OH and I'll enjoy a day off. I won't be going to the seaside or anything though, I think I'll be in helping OH erect his polytunnel!

Reactions: Trewsers
Well, I'm very much afraid I think it will be, for a while at least. I can't see how the virus will just go away on its own, I think the only way things can change are if enough of us catch it (which is why I think they're relaxed the lockdown rules) and we achieve the mystical 'herd immunity' or we get a vaccine, which may never happen. Unless when we get the antibody test pushed out to everyone we miraculously discover that most of us have already had the virus of course. Otherwise how can you change things? Maybe if everyone had properly isolated right at the beginning the virus would have died a death because it wouldn't have been able to spread, but that didn't happen either.

Maybe the 'track and trace', or whatever it's called, will do the trick? I haven't really paid too much attention to how it's going to work or when it's being launched to be honest.

I'm looking forward to the bank holiday weekend. I've been working as normal (only from home) throughout, as has OH and I'll enjoy a day off. I won't be going to the seaside or anything though, I think I'll be in helping OH erect his polytunnel!

Yes I'm with you on that right at the start if everyone had properly isolated it could have been contained. I reckon though the delay in scaring / shocking / telling / informing - whatever you want to call it, the general public caused it to sneakily spread. Most sensible people have done the right thing and would have done so from the beginning, had the beginning happened earlier. I had this on my radar the moment it hit the headlines in China but nobody here seemed to be paying much attention (of course they were behind the scenes). Ah well. Looks like we will all just have to learn to live with it now.
I agree too - I think the mystical herd immunity will be the only option. If indeed that exists!
The trials on the rhesus monkeys failed - I read somewhere, but that was in the us I think.

Reactions: Bodshi
Science could still prove that you can only get it a certain way and then they could make the rules just avoid that. Might be wishful thinking though!

Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers
How can we suddenly get herd immunity if we have all stayed away from each other?
What its looking like is when we went to bed one night it was England, and we when we woke up we were in Russia!
What we see our children being sent to school with, is what we will see in the shops and towns. I won't be standing outside in the street, for every shop I might need to go to. I don't think I have the brain capacity for that to be honest.

Reactions: Trewsers
How can we suddenly get herd immunity if we have all stayed away from each other?1

But you see I think that's the point of relaxing lockdown rules a little. Not because people are safer, but because the NHS is coping. The trick is to let as many people as possible catch the virus, whilst keeping the infection rate low enough for the NHS not to be overwhelmed, meanwhile protecting those that are most vulnerable until ultimately herd immunity is achieved by the rest of the population.

I know the virus has caused a lot of disruption to people, but I think a lot of good things have happened too. Amongst other things the world and his wife (me included) seem to have been building wildlife ponds. Sadly some things, like the huge reduction in road and air traffic, will probably go straight back to how it was pre-C19. And it remains to be seen whether the kindness shown by all those volunteers and folks looking out for their neighbours will continue once we're all back to being engulfed in our busy working and social lives. It would be nice to think there will be some long term lessons learned from what we have experienced these last few months, but I'm a cynic I'm afraid.

Reactions: Jessey
I didn't have a busy social life before, so that won't change.
I have discovered Jaws otherwise known as Carp, and yes I plan to continue and get involved with volunteering. I just need to know where and how.

We won't be "going back to" if social distancing is here for the foreseeable.
But I am a little cynical now, so it will just either go away or most of us have had it.
To be fair Sars did just go away, they never got a vaccine for it. It went away through distancing and track and trace. A bit like a fire will burn itself out without oxygen and something to ignite.

I think this is really interesting. I know equine influenza for example can travel miles once airborn. So are they infact saying yes do all go to the beach, but stand 2m apart so that when you get the virus it will be less severe. Im not sure about herd immunity, have they proved you are immune once catching this yet? There is another article on BBC news today saying your risk of dying from Corona matches your risk of dying from anything else given your age and so those young and healthy should really not be worried.

When the term "herd immunity" first started being used I had to read up on it because I actually didn't know what it meant.
In short, herd immunity occurs within a population when between 60 and 90% of the population are immune to the virus. The percentage depends on the type and nature of the virus but does tend to be towards the higher end. Basically, once you've reached that number the virus dies out in that population because there aren't enough non-immune people left to move it around.
This means herd immunity can only be possible if people become immune after they've had it once. The problem with Covid19 is that, at the moment, it actually hasn't been proven that infection leads to immunity - in fact some research has shown that, for some people, the antibodies they develop after infection only last for a limited amount of time, and are not permanently immune. And there have been cases where people who have had the virus and officially fully recovered have then actually been diagnosed again. So until it's been proven that you can only contract it once, relying on herd immunity is pointless.

I think this is really interesting. I know equine influenza for example can travel miles once airborn. So are they infact saying yes do all go to the beach, but stand 2m apart so that when you get the virus it will be less severe. Im not sure about herd immunity, have they proved you are immune once catching this yet? There is another article on BBC news today saying your risk of dying from Corona matches your risk of dying from anything else given your age and so those young and healthy should really not be worried.

View attachment 102536
Except the sheer volume of people who went to the beach and stood in a queue for forty minutes for the only available loo, were not distancing. (I hope they had enough loo roll)
Think thousands not hundreds.

I hope they have a handle on this because society thinks the lockdown is finished, go where you like, stay out exercising for as long as you like, send kids back to school, shops open tada it's over.
The truth is people are not staying alert and listening to the news. They are not staying alert and glancing at the government guidelines.
It's really simple for me, if you don't care, I don't care to spend time with you. I havent just spent three months in isolation to put myself at risk.
But then those who are working and have been on the frontline since the start would think the same? They are living apart from their family.

Actually to be honest looking at the town we are better off at home. Its a military operation just getting bread!

But you see I think that's the point of relaxing lockdown rules a little. Not because people are safer, but because the NHS is coping. The trick is to let as many people as possible catch the virus, whilst keeping the infection rate low enough for the NHS not to be overwhelmed, meanwhile protecting those that are most vulnerable until ultimately herd immunity is achieved by the rest of the population.

I know the virus has caused a lot of disruption to people, but I think a lot of good things have happened too. Amongst other things the world and his wife (me included) seem to have been building wildlife ponds. Sadly some things, like the huge reduction in road and air traffic, will probably go straight back to how it was pre-C19. And it remains to be seen whether the kindness shown by all those volunteers and folks looking out for their neighbours will continue once we're all back to being engulfed in our busy working and social lives. It would be nice to think there will be some long term lessons learned from what we have experienced these last few months, but I'm a cynic I'm afraid.

Yes I agree, the whole point of all the lockdown was so that the nhs didn't become overwhelmed. Glad it didn't happen. It's funny now because I keep seeing on both our local nhs website and the local paper things like "don't put off seeing a doctor" and "if it's urgent it's urgent". Lol not so long ago they made a video telling everyone to stay away.............stay away........................well, that was the message we got. Basically do not come near a gp surgery or the hospital. Not that I would - or many folk in their right mind would - nobody wants to actually invite catching it do they?!
I'd like to think that folk would carry on being kinder but not sure that will happen. We soon forget. Even good humans forget - as an example, I remember the year we thought mr t had to brace himself for receiving the worst news of a health kind. In the end it wasn't - and we both said we'd try and be nicer after that and prioritise what's important - ie, being kind, helping others and keeping in touch with friends and family. Sorry to say we both soon became engulfed in work and the petty mundane things pretty fast.........................?

I don't quite understand how people can "think" lockdown is over, if it isn't. Do you not have public service announcements and government TV spots and stuff?
Ever since the lockdown was announced on 23 March we've been bombarded with special Covid19 announcements on TV and radio, literally every program interval and ad break, reminding you of the current alert level and its rules and requirements and what you can and cannot do, and advice about handwashing and social distancing and all that. You would have to be blond and deaf not to know what was going on!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
They think it because it's what suits them. This morning a group of 5, all from different households, hacked out together and when I went by them they weren't even single file. This included the yo who has allocated us all 2 hour slots on the basis of social distancing . . .

@joosie
Yes we have a daily briefing
We have adverts
it's on the news, telling us we are level four moving to level three in four stages and when
it's on the radio
Notices in every single shop that's open
It's on the government website
Notices in the park
If you have kids you are home schooling, even if they go back, it's only certain kids and for certain hours
If you work, you are working from home or your place off work is less hours, less staff, retail has a 33 page Covid-19 safety document before you can open June 1.
You could be furloughed or made redundant.

People do not know because they have switched off the TV and radio. Or they don't care.
I admit you cannot be expected to know all the changes, but if we are taking to each other, this thread is one example, then someone will say something perhaps?

Reactions: Kite_Rider

"We also know that in the new world, pedestrians will need more space"
The government are planning a green restart.
It's not sounding like a temporary new normal, but a whole new world.

For some reason this thread wasnt popping up alerts.

Things SO FAR are not spiking here
With partial opening of much more
Retail and
Very minimal sit down outside dining allowed
But w masks being required everywhere
that may be helping.

With a further opening of child care ...
Salon's. Reduced inside dining ..
Reduced church services.. more close
Contact stuff June 1. Will that
Change sigh who knows

Ths is a big big holiday weekend
Being memorial day.
Yesterday was a weird crummy day
Temps dropoef 30 degrees in a couple hravs rain
We took a ride to the ocean thankfully it was eerie dead deserted even roads
All over empty thru the whole ride

We were only person at a clam shack at the time
After ordering they brought out to the car and we parked and ate in the car overlooking the angry sea
It was petty.

Where was everyone hmmm beaches are closed but news said Massachusetts was. PACKED hmmm

2 RI beaches
and all rhe rest of state parks opening
Tomorrow so the news may show something very different if the weather is good.

Im not watching as much tv, as it was getting a bit repetitive and i was getting wound up by some of the reports on people ignoring the advice. That doesnt mean i dont care though. Ive just said dont listen to it. Im fed up of this stay alert wording and protect the nhs. Dont get me wrong i fully understand the wording and so does the nation, but some chose to ignore it.
Ive chosen to carry on staying isolated as best i can. Ive got plenty to occupy myself with at home.
I can chose to be stressed by all this and make my mental health worse or i can fight it and get on with living.

Even here ugh
One hand ohhhhh Don't leave the house..
Then Ohhhhhh go out go shopping
Stores are opening ..
When restaurants reopen for dining
Go out to eat REALLY NFW...

I may never do more than take out.

Im still only shopping what i need to.

The little ride out to the ocean was staying in the car getting take out and enjoying seeing the ocean from in the car.
Ohhhh lol and druling over some of the
Multi million dollar waterfront properties
Along the way.
One omg was medevil looking
W a gigantic arch gate bridge entrance
And big iron gates

newrider.com