Cost of shoes?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I’ve been out of the shoes thing for so long, but I feel like my friend who is secondly my farrier is under charging me and I don’t like taking advantage.
For fronts only, special shoes £40. Today refit said special shoes with pads, £40.

It does depend on where you are but I'd say that was reasonable. I pay the same for refits as I do for new shoes, the skill and work is in the trim and fitting.

It does depend on where you are but I'd say that was reasonable. I pay the same for refits as I do for new shoes, the skill and work is in the trim and fitting.
Yes I expected to pay the same plus the cost of pads and piddling around putting the filler under them but he just charged me the same again 🤷🏻‍♀️

It does sound quite cheep. Mine is £78 for refits and £84 for new, standard shoes, all round. However as said above I would be smiling, thanking and providing biscuits also.

Hmm perhaps it is just on the cheaper end of fair, he doesn’t trim the hinds at all as I do my trimming myself, so it is literally just fronts.
I might take him a bar of his favourite chocolate when I drop cash in to him later tho 😁

Erm I'm in the no shoes group . So £25 for a trim :D
Well i am for Billy. So far he has not cost me a single penny for foot trimming in 5 years. Think he quoted me £25 for the trim all round if and when he needs it, obviously based on a second horse if hes out doing chunky anyway.

Just thinking back my old farrier use to charge me £30 or was it £40, (definitely no more than that) for doing chunkys fronts, very rare he even trimmed his backs. He was very local to the yard though. Only a mile away so no travel costs.

Reactions: Jessey
Do you have problems getting a farrier @Frances144 ? Unless you have one living on the island I should think they'd want a few to make it worth their while.

Ben’s feet haven’t cost me a single penny in the last 3 years. I used to pay £40 for fronts and a trim behind, but the farrier never touched the hinds. Since the fronts came off they haven’t been touched either. The vet reviews them every 6 months and says he has the best frogs he has ever seen.

Reactions: Jessey and Huggy
We have two visiting farriers now. They make a mint and can work for a week solid.

Our farrier is good, very good, so I don't grudge a penny. And when I was skint, he understood and did nothing unless it couldn't wait until his next visit (basically talking himself out of over £200!). He also checked the Minions (all 8 plus 2 fake ones) for free over the lightning strike. He is the farrier that the Dick Vet ask for.

I pay £50 for a trim so mine is on the expensive side...

I pay £55 every 6 weeks if that helps you feel better :D I still feel it's great value for money though, so dont begrudge it.

Used to pay £150 for a trim but most of that was travel cost/danger money :D

Reactions: carthorse
We have two visiting farriers now. They make a mint and can work for a week solid.

Our farrier is good, very good, so I don't grudge a penny. And when I was skint, he understood and did nothing unless it couldn't wait until his next visit (basically talking himself out of over £200!). He also checked the Minions (all 8 plus 2 fake ones) for free over the lightning strike. He is the farrier that the Dick Vet ask for.

My farrier goes to Shetland and Orkney regularly and even sometimes abroad. We have to schedule our yard round his trips.

I’m £20 For a trim for the wee guy I think my friend is £50 for a set of fronts.

newrider.com