Coughing/vetting/buying saga continues Aargh!

miggy

May 23, 2004
west sussex
Visit site
Decided to have the horse vetted. Vendor was very picky about it being tomorrow (basically couldnt do any other day till next thursday and she didnt want to wait that long)
Spent morning phoning round local vets to find one that could do it then.
Texted her to say could she bring a reciept for the deposit (which I was giving her tomorrow) plus vacc cert and passport. When I tried the horse she didnt have the passport there and was going to fax me or email me a photocopy. She texted me yesterday to say that she couldnt do it and her mother was taking it to london to do it at work on Friday (post would have been quicker!)
Just texted me now to say that passport is in london with her mother so she cant bring it tomorrow. Getting very complicated.
Am just paranoid as once got ripped of by buying horse from "private seller" that turned out to have bought it from auction a few weeks before. Just wanted some proof that she has had the horse 2 yrs as she says.
Help?

Perhaps you could ask the vendor if she would be happy for you to speak to the vet or farrier just to confirm that she has had the pony for the last couple of years.When I was selling my horse, I gave the prospective buyer their numbers (and checked with them that it was ok ), just to reassure her that everything was as I said it was.

Perhaps you could ask the vendor if she would be happy for you to speak to the vet or farrier just to confirm that she has had the pony for the last couple of years.When I was selling my horse, I gave the prospective buyer their numbers (and checked with them that it was ok ), just to reassure her that everything was as I said it was.

That's a fab idea, I'll remember that for when I find something I like.

Worth giving it a shot miggy ? If she has nothing to hide she should be willing to give you the vets details at least :)

The seller does sound a bit dodgy but that doesn't mean the horse isn't perfect. Not the poor horses fault that the seller is an idiot;)

Before changing you mind and giving up on the horse (which it does sound like you might) forgot the seller and think about the horse. Is she perfect? Is there ANYTHING that worries you about HER? (not the seller) Did you do absoultly everything you could want to with her - ride her in a field, gallop her, jump her, hack her alone and in company, bath/groom/pretend to be the farrier. Lunge, tack up, school. See her boxed.

I would be inclined to not beleive a word of what the seller says and want to see it all for myself.

And try to get the seller to make a contract - on the recpeit have something along the line of - 'this horse (name, age, size, colour), to the best of my knowledge, has not problems behavioural or physical, will be entirely suitable for a young child and nervous novice to handle, care for and ride, is good to shoe, clip, box, bath, groom tack-up etc etc etc.

Thanks guys
No vet-she just uses cheapest/whoever is coming to yard for vaccs-already asked that at viewing. Suspect farrier may be the same but will ask
Have left a message asking her for any proof of ownership eg original receipt, farriers bills etc.
Pinks lady-No, didnt do most of that, I know you should but in the real world most of thats not possible. There isnt a field/anyone to hack with etc etc. Grooming/bathing/farrier/tacking bit Im sure is all fine, just fruitloop on grass or in company probably :eek:
Will ask for contract-dont know if it has any legal validity though?

Its a tough one isn't it ?I know of people who were ripped off by people they trusted to find them a good horse.Suppose to a certain extent you have to go with your gut instinct and if you feel strongly enough about the horse fork out on the vetting and try and be there for it, as the vet will tell you a lot more than if you're not present.
When I bought my last horse after seeing a ad from a private seller, I went and turned out they were dealers and sort of 'rough' people, but the horse was well cared for and they volunteered lots of information about her and I really liked her. Had the full vetting by an Irish vet who knew his stuff, he simply said 'thats a very nice animal, but with strong opinions'. Although the sellers misled me about being private sellers which worried me a bit, I now can't believe I was so lucky in getting her, actually think if she'd been sold from a tether off the roadside I would have bought her.
Best of luck :)

Do not give any money until you see the passport.

I know someone (not a friend of a friend - I really do know this happened) who was promised papers - and never got them - the case went to the small claims court and the papers still never appeared - nor did the difference in value they represented. This was in pre-passport days.

If hte vendor is genuine then she will give you the passport and you can heave a sigh of relief. Otherwise you have saved yourself a whole mess of trouble.

Also I am sure the vet will take a blood sample and retain it - but ensure this is done - it will be used it a different pony is delivered, or if the dope wears off after you get the pony..........

Hope I haven't frightened you too much - I am the one who bought 2 yo year old filly at a stud visit with no vetting - so it can work!!!!!!

Last edited:
i'd hang fire on th deposit & the vetting until you have seen all the paperwork you need to see

it really is a case of buyer beware

if you pay for a vetting & the horse turns out to be a totally different age for instance i imagine you'll be none too impressed

unfortunately i know someone who bought a horse to bring on , horse stated as 7 , they didn't have it vetted , when old owner finally produced the passport , ooops it was actually 11

If the seller's mother has the passport with her at work in London why don't you ask her to fax a copy of it to you.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the passport. Does she have the breed papers to hand? I think they're much more important.

Well passport bit irrelevant as failed the vetting at flexion test stage. Was 1/10 lame on normal trot up, exacerbated at flexion but only marginally (right hind) did have slight swelling on leg, pos recent knock but pos worst case arthritis in hock.
Am still (stupidly) considering horse though, such a lovely horse and just right for what I want/need

newrider.com