covered in bumps?

eventer757

Feb 6, 2009
My TB mare's skin is very...lumpy i guess would be the best way to describe it. It's not everywhere, but covers a good portion of her hindquarters and stomach. Some of it is sensitive to the touch as well.

My first thought was a reaction to fly bites since she seems to have really sensitive, thin skin. It doesn't seem scabby but then again, I didn't get too close to the skin since it bothered her and she'd move away. Could it be a bad case of rain rot coming up too? We've had a ton of rain the past week or so and that's when I've noticed it popping up.

I took pictures but it's really hard to even see a difference unless you're up close and can feel it :(

Thanks for any ideas :)

one of ours had a reaction to something last year - he came up in lumps sounding the same as your TB. Without seeing them or a pic of them it's really hard to suggest anything.

My boy comes up in bumps whenever the midges are out in force - he was terribly lumpy this evening - if they come up after the rtain when the midges are out could it be that?

Here's another vote for midgy bites, especially along the top line (with a concentration around the withers) and under the belly.

I've also seen bad bumps when a horse has rolled on baby thistle plants :rolleyes:

My TB gets all lumpy, too - I'm sure it's flying pests as this year he's been out in a fly sheet as soon as I noticed bugs out in force, and so far he's in a much better state than last year. The worst part this year is his face and his throat, so I've ordered him a mask as well.

Thanks, everyone :) I'll get her a fly sheet as soon as I can and see if that helps. Is there anything I can put on her to soothe the bites?

She doesn't have any around her face, though, which I thought was kind of weird :confused:

I have noticed with my boy the bumps dont actually come up until he has rolled, and therefore itched, it may be that she hasnt started rubbing her face?

If you just want to sooth the lumps themselves I would recommend gold label wonder gel, or if you cant get it straight forward aloe vera gel, its wonderfully cooling and soothing and will help reduce the bumpiness.

If you are looking for something to also help with the midge repelling I have just discovered Equimins Biting Midge Cream, only £7 for a big tub and it really seems to keep them off him at the same time as being nice fo the skin.. Only trouble is as with anything that helps with midges its quite greasy so great for manes and tails but not so good for backs when you want to saddle up!! It smells really nice too which is a big plus after years of grotty benzyl benzoate which smells dreadful!!

Thats just whats worked for my boy, along with regular spraying with citronella and vinegar, but I am sure loads of people have other recommendations! If she has sensitive skin it might be worth doing a little patch test before coating her in any products...

A horse on mi yard comes up in lumps nd bumps every year all arond her belly nd back!
we just give her an allergy tablet in her feed or bread!
it works,,bt we still dnt no how she gets the lumps nd bumps from!?
give it a try! :) :D

Last edited:
K, so I'm 99% sure it's rain rot since it's scabby and hair's coming out.

The thing is, Tara's an already moody mare, she's in heat, the affected areas are sensitive so she jigs around when I try to pick the scabs off, AND she HATES water, even if i sponge it on.

Any ideas about how I should go about treating it?

If it's rainscald then it needs bathing with an antifungal wash at least once a day. Not much you can do about her being grumpy about it but she night realise it's helping... good luck!

newrider.com