Cracks in sole

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Ed has always had great feet - no cracks, nice shape, strong etc. However, over the last week or two I've noticed that there's a couple of small cracks on the sole and a bit of hoof is likely to break off shortly. I'm assuming this is to do with the very dry weather - anyone else having similar probs??

He's on supplements to make sure he has adequate vits/mins. I sometimes coat his hooves in Kevin Bacon ointment.

Last edited:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its what I had then dont worry!!!!! I stressed the same - madam looked like her soles were cracking out from her frog in a spidery way????

I asked the trimmer as I too paniced but its a good sign apparently - means there is new sole growth coming through so to speak and it cracks away to leave the new sole

If it's the sole then there's nothing to worry about, it's dead stuff exfoliating which is perfectly normal. It tends to build up during dry spells, especially when the sole is somewhat protected from wear with a shoe on.

Ok - thanks both, that's reassuring. I've not noticed it before, but it's only my second Summer with him and it's so dry this year.

I will of course check with my farrier when he visits next week!

newrider.com