Cresty

I kinda thought out overnight best and then back in by mid morning at latest to spend day in. But can't remember who I heard that from, probably a livery who had a lami shetland here a few years ago.

I have owned my wee shetland x for nearly a year and because she is part shetland Im totally paranoid about lami although being part falabella she doesn't seem to be prone to weight issues as such.

To be honest I actually manage Pooh as if she has it.....poor wee thing:redface:. She is in either every night or every day although Im lucky because if she is in during the day she can go into a large turnout arena with a shelter and I don't restrict her hay intake cause Ive heard thats not good either and that you're better soaking all goodness out of it than to have them standing there for long hours with nothing to eat. Not that I do soak her hay cause her weight is fine.

The longest she is out in the fields is for 48 hours but thats maybe once every two or three weeks and its never for longer hours than that. Our grass is so rich that my TB has the same routine as Pooh because the grass makes him fat and mental/unrideable.

So difficult. Am i maybe overdoing it with my wee tiddler though?

What do any of you feed that have to feed in order to get supplements into them? In our case it's Skratch and a joint supplement and it's virtually more powder than chaff currently so was wondering about a tiny bit of something for it to stick to like fast fibre instead?

I give her and my TB Happy Hoof, all 4 of mine get it in the winter but in tiny amounts, and at the moment Im giving the two of them about a fifth or a sixth of the recommended daily amount for their size.

Nothing else given, the odd carrot but Im careful bout that too cause of the sugars. Probably speedi beet with a vitamin powder would also do, our vet suggested that as another option. But none of ours have lami so don't know if the speedi beet would be ok for a lami or not, would think be ok.

Volcy I give Ginger a bit of speedibeet to hide his supplements, it's not molassed and fine for laminitics as it's high in fibre and low in sugar. He also has Top Spec antilam to make sure he gets all his vitamins and minerals and a couple of powder supplements that he won't eat if they're in dry chaff. Speedibeet does the trick though!

I'm on a livery yard so have to stick to yard rules re turnout, but as soon as we are allowed 24/7 turnout I switch Ginger round so he comes in during the day and out at night as the sugars are lower in the grass.

Kay2 I don't think you are being over the top at all, better safe than sorry I reckon!

Last edited:
She doesn't have lami but just being cautious after the vets sweeping statement to my friend on a visit for her TB the other day "with grass like that it's great for you but I hope they are watching the others"

I have been using a handful of mollasses free HiFi/happy hoof/ top spec chop lite depending on what's on offer - it just seems half the powder is out the bucket or up the sides but I'm probably being paranoid as there still seems plenty of skratch to turn my hand yellow after I have added the water and mixed.. I might get some speedi beet in though and try that instead and see what works best.

I think anyone who takes preventative measures is being responsible definately not OTT - from bitter experience its better than doing nowt and dealing with what can happen, ours was not grass related we know that but the warning signs are the same whatever the trigger and to ignore them would be reckless - the hard neck issue is also a sympton re IR and EMS which we all know has the lami association -
we have two now who are lammi prone, and two other natives who are both good doers and are in my mind at risk, one is dealt with the same as the 2 who have had lammi or LGL , the newcomer is possibily in foal so we are dealing with her differently at this time, but she will come into line with the others as far as management goes at some point in the meantime she will not be allowed to become obese just because she may be expecting! Shes on restricted grass with add lib hay and a handful of HH morning and night - checked with vets. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

I have Ben in during the day from about 12 to 9pm, and then he is out at night. He has a small double netted soaked haynet during the day, but he hardly touches it. Probalby spends all his day sleeping and dreaming about the grass outside. He gets ridden most days for about an hour as well. He has some podgy bits but I think he is looking OK.

I tried my wee one on soaked hay last year, not for lami prevention reasons really but more because she seemed to have a wee allergy soon after I got her and I wasn't sure if it was dusty hay or because she rolls in her bedding so much that she was getting a wackload of flippin' dust up her nostrils. (turned out to be the latter altho not relevant on lami thread really :biggrin:)

Pooh would happily starve herself rather than eat soaked hay, i stopped trying after a week.....she just point blank refused to even touch it so maybe your Ben is same and wont eat his wee net cause soaking it changes the taste or something?

I really hope Pooh never gets lami given her dislike of soaked hay:spin:

p.s. I have a long single strand of twine tied to the rafter with an old halter clip tied on.....I hang small nets up on this clip and since its out from the wall it takes her longer to eat cause its swinging about. In the winter she often chose to eat out of this smaller net than her larger wall tied net.

What is IR & ems???

Insulin resistance and equine metabolic syndrome
Lami seems to be prevelant in these conditions and having lami could be a sign your horse has one of these.
Might get her tested when I get vaccinations and teeth done mind you.
I have always felt there is slightly more to her condition than meets the eye.

Volcy I give Ginger a bit of speedibeet to hide his supplements, it's not molassed and fine for laminitics as it's high in fibre and low in sugar. He also has Top Spec antilam to make sure he gets all his vitamins and minerals and a couple of powder supplements that he won't eat if they're in dry chaff. Speedibeet does the trick though!

I'm on a livery yard so have to stick to yard rules re turnout, but as soon as we are allowed 24/7 turnout I switch Ginger round so he comes in during the day and out at night as the sugars are lower in the grass.

Kay2 I don't think you are being over the top at all, better safe than sorry I reckon!

Top Spec Anti Lam send my mare off her feet.
I only give her NAF slimline now and am loath the change to anything else as it agrees with her but will be trying Global Herbs to see how I get on with that.

How is everyone this morning? much same here, Charlie is sore on his front foot again, post trim and wet weather syndrome again - he was fine when he went out in the morning, sore when he came in last night and very sore this morning - nappy on and left in - small swelling below his hock again today - squichy and not near bone, so bute given - The weather was :poop: last night - his paddock was flooded when went to get him in - I got caught in the storm up at the field - horizontal bl**dy ice is all I can describe it as, had just got Acorns rug on so he is okay this morning - fields are designated wetlands again - hopefully thats it now till next week - just get them draining off and it comes again:stomp: not good for soft footed pony- or lamiprone when the Sun comes out on this lovely wet grass...........:timebomb:

Think we had the same weather as you last night. Mine were all in their jammies by 5pm.
Heidi seems fine and going to turn her out for a few hours nuzzled on the old grass. Scared to put her out without one. Feet are stone cold even with being stabled. Crest still hard but guess that wont come down overnight.
Was a tad concerned last night as she had not poo'd much, only one during day but 2 overnight but she is really on strict rations, tiny hay nets and 2 speedi beet feeds. I need some bloody valium already.
Off to order Global Herbs when I can do some price comparison, I'll get the money back off her owners but she is in hospital just now.
Your poor pony, this is not good weather for his tootsies at all.

Top spec anti lam has mollases and a few other nasties in it, find it bizarre how many mollases feeds are marketed as safe for laminitics!!!

Silver cannot tolerate mollases and she does not has insulin resistancce or Ems or cushings.

As for the crest, silvers gets wobbly, then goes lumpy (I liken it to corrugated metal/cardboard - it is solid lumps with gaps/ridges in) then at worst goes solid. We are only at the first stage but enough to have her in for two days.

Think we had the same weather as you last night. Mine were all in their jammies by 5pm.
Heidi seems fine and going to turn her out for a few hours nuzzled on the old grass. Scared to put her out without one. Feet are stone cold even with being stabled. Crest still hard but guess that wont come down overnight.
Was a tad concerned last night as she had not poo'd much, only one during day but 2 overnight but she is really on strict rations, tiny hay nets and 2 speedi beet feeds. I need some bloody valium already.
Off to order Global Herbs when I can do some price comparison, I'll get the money back off her owners but she is in hospital just now.
Your poor pony, this is not good weather for his tootsies at all.

I get my Global Herbs from Millbry Hill on line - I get 2 tubs so I get Free postage - think it was 17% off last time I looked

Top spec anti lam has mollases and a few other nasties in it, find it bizarre how many mollases feeds are marketed as safe for laminitics!!!

Silver cannot tolerate mollases and she does not has insulin resistancce or Ems or cushings.

As for the crest, silvers gets wobbly, then goes lumpy (I liken it to corrugated metal/cardboard - it is solid lumps with gaps/ridges in) then at worst goes solid. We are only at the first stage but enough to have her in for two days.

Its so silly but it agrees with some and not others like everything else with this bloody condition.
Thanks for that description, its what I have tried and failed to describe. Hers has gone solid. Gutted I missed it as I noticed her belly first but it was fast.

I get my Global Herbs from Millbry Hill on line - I get 2 tubs so I get Free postage - think it was 17% off last time I looked

Thanks, will look at them.

She's out in my schooling field with the Dinky muzzle having a strop.
Exercise I guess :tongue:
She can use the rubber bottom muzzle but doesnt seem to get this one.

Thanks, will look at them.

She's out in my schooling field with the Dinky muzzle having a strop.
Exercise I guess :tongue:
She can use the rubber bottom muzzle but doesnt seem to get this one.

Aw bless - tell her its for her own good! Sure she will get the hang of it eventually - once she stops stropping and works it out:giggle:

Muzzle not going well, she can eat in it but has now decided to just jump put of the paddock thats electric fenced now.
She's out grazing without it now but on the longer grass thats not stressed.
Bloody ponies!

newrider.com