damaged external hard drive

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Any recommendations for where to send it to be fixed? Having problems reading some of the files and want to get it sorted by a pro so I don't do more damage!

Could be a very expensive option. If it's a logical error i.e the actual hard drive is physically OK but the file system has got itself in a knot then that's fairly easy to sort. If the hard drive is physically failing then you have a bigger problem. Firstly I would get another hard drive ASAP and copy off what you can before the errors get worse. Hard drives can and do fail without warning.

OH says it sounds as if every drawer in the house should have a hard drive in to back up the other drives.

We have three external hard drives, not because I am expert, but because I have never worked out how to make economical and systematic back ups. Every now and then we copy everything so hold multiple copies of the same back up.

This means drives get fuller and so each time we buy a new computer we need to buy a new hard drive to move everything.

How gratifying to be told by Mike that isnt a bad idea. But I hope you can get help Joosie.

For anyone else who is chaotic and systemless like me - Yesterday, I did need to search for and retrieve from a hard drive some image files that had become lost/detached from an Access database. And Windows 7 does amazing searches for lost stuff which wasnt possible when those back ups were first made. In fact my passion for backing up is because writers used to lose their work.

But we have never had a hard drive fail and I am quite anxious now.

newrider.com