Dan's at it again

Dont stress @Jessey. I saw your fb post so I guessed you were at your wits end. Its unfortunate it's coming into winter maybe you should have bitten the bullet and lost the mane over the summer and a clip down the middle of the back.
You will win. Hes just one step ahead at the moment. Laugh it off.
Not stressed so much, at least this time of year it's becoming less of a threat, I'm just on for the challenge he's laying down :D

Clipping and hogging is on the list for next year if I can't get him sorted by then, though they will be going into the middle in 8 weeks or so anyway so it might be hard to know. I posted on facebook hoping for some out of the box ideas, if it weren't for Jess' skill at putting legs through fences it would be so much easier. I am also, in my mind, developing a pony mounted conductor from a wire coat hanger and vet wrap :D something that sits over the withers and sticks up like an ariel to ensure the fence gets him :p He's lost a bit of weight lately, but I really don't want him getting that big again next summer. Also on the list is buying one of the seriously juicy energisers with adjustable pulse rates, 1.2j makes me yowl, surely 5j should make him think twice ;) the Voss ones are also dual power, so if push comes to shove I will beg mains power from a neighbour temporarily and run several extension leads across the field between us to get it there and see how he likes that! I have also got my man that topped for me last month prepped to come a couple of times, earlier next year, so that hopefully I can keep the field down and the fence at full whack throughout the year :)

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
It stops being funny after a bit, doesn't it. Ramsey was a demon for getting through, under and over stuff. When he was young he'd jump the post and rail. He also (even the winter before I lost him) would go through the electric fencing. Even though we fenced off the acorns , I still had to pick them up every day, because that little beggar would get in. None of the others followed - always just him. I once put him in a little starvation paddock beside the barn, with post and rail, and a sliding bar instead of a gate. Kept finding him out, gorging on the long grass, bar still in place. I hid to watch and see how he got out - head under the bar, dropped his withers and shuffled under it. He was also the one that got out onto the main road at 2am - again, none of the others followed. So, when I say I feel your pain, I really, really do!

Reactions: Jessey
I was thinking about how to out smart the beggar whilst I was a work today. I do have an idea similar to what your thinking. I'll message you tomorrow.

I laugh but only because I have a stash of bunting and a couple of little tent kites for the same reason :D
Trouble is, familiarity breeds contempt - I think Ramsey was daunted for about 10 days, then they were a waste of time.

Well, since I added the steel wire on Friday evening, he's stayed put. I didn't shut him in the inner track, just disconnected 1 end of it from the power to encourage him to go in there but I haven't even found him in there so don't know that he's even tried (he doesn't normally get himself back out that I can tell). I'll leave it there for a bit and see, I'm not celebrating yet ;) I didn't put it any lower than the bottom row was, I don't want to make a rod for my own back (in that I have to keep a really low strand on all the time) if I can avoid it so wanted to start with it not looking much different to what was already there.

Still no escapes, either it worked or he's just in one of his time off phases from it :cool: If it worked I will be very surprised, I simply replaced the bottom strand along 1 side of the middle fence, its a square so it would make little sense if it truly has stopped him.

Hahahaha, so apparently they are just tag teaming on me :p I called them all down for their dinner and see Hank winding his way through the willow trees. After tea I went up to check and sure enough the single bit of electric fence has moved up the tree (is just wound around it) and there's a little path through the tree and down into the ditch and up the other side :D

I've been debating extending their field down a bit, perhaps I'll have to put more brain power into it :)

We've just electrified our 2nd fence round the oak trees - there's a suspicious track of footprints (Hogan size) wending it's way up and down. It would only have been a matter of time. Even though we pick them up every day, there's tons of acorns down by the next morning. I'm glad Hogan's not as smart and determined as your lot!

newrider.com