Dan's at it again

Oh my, what a nightmare. I just this morning witnessed a yearling on the yard ducking under a mains powered fence to escape. For some reason he's started releasing himself from fields after being happy with his companions for a long time. Goodness knows why, he's been cut so it's not as though he's feeling his hormones. Anyway, he was so quick getting under the fence, to say he's probably about 11.2 ish at the moment and the bottom strand is maybe 18" off the floor. He was putting his head under to nibble at the grass at the other side, next minute woosh, under and out in a flash without even a peep from the fence - and that fence gives you an almightly kick if you touch it accidentally. Whether he was lucky to get in between pulses or he's got some kind of private earthing system I don't know. But until witnessing that I'd never really understood how you couldn't make a fence electric enough to keep a pony in.

I honestly can't see a solution that will suit both Dan and Jess, but I do hope you find one. The minis we had on our yard were fenced in with that interlocking metal barricade fencing (can't remember the proper name) but that would be no good for Jess. Nightmare.

Reactions: Jessey
Harras fencing is on my list of possible options! but he's such a twit, he's stayed put since I put Hank with him on the next section of track round from where they were :rolleyes: And he did let me scratch his bum briefly last night. Dan doesn't escape from or too anyone else necessarily, the couple of morning he'd escaped the pen he was stood by the gate, no where near Jess or Hank (which he could have just walked down to) and there's not even any grass there, I'm sure it's just 'cos he wants to.

Sheep square would be my choice on the outside of the post and the leccy wire on the inside of the fence. That will keep him in and mean he can’t get legs through it if that’s your worry with the sheep fencing. Alternative to the post and rail

Wee monster I hope you get something sorted x

Reactions: lauren123
Sheep square would be my choice on the outside of the post and the leccy wire on the inside of the fence. That will keep him in and mean he can’t get legs through it if that’s your worry with the sheep fencing. Alternative to the post and rail

Wee monster I hope you get something sorted x
I've seen legs through sheep wire on several occasions, my arab used to regularly remove his shoes on it :rolleyes: I would only consider stock type fencing if it was the smaller holed stuff like 'Keepsafe' and that's expensive. He's still staying in currently, it's like a switch flips :rolleyes:

At my old yard they had small holed high fencing. It had a wire along the top which was just stapled on not electric. So when yard owners tb horses got bored they hung there heads over and started leaning to reach long grass on the other side. Eventually they wrecked the fence and my horse one day managed to get his foot in the knackered fence and ripped one shoe off. Hes only ever pulled two shoes in the 13 years I've had him.The other foot he got trapped and pulled the shoe very loose. I actually had to untangle him.
A livery yard I worked at had sheep stock netting, again not electrified so horse were always hanging over and get there feet stuck in it.

Reactions: Jessey
Bo would do slides into the fence (electric along the top or not, and the front feet would go in at ground level or higher (he was a hyper menace!) and I found him with both front feet attached to the fence on more than one occasion, and shoes were all too often hanging from it when I found them, he was a particular nightmare with it, i kept thinking he'd learn but he never did :rolleyes: My friends mare had to be retired (insurance loss of use) after squealing and striking a front leg into sheep wire, we were all right there and watched it happen but we just couldn't get to her in time :(

He stayed put for a whole 4 days, but yesterday I put them all back together on the full track late morning and he was out by the evening :( and I still can't catch him, I just have to open the fence and herd him back. I'm desperate to muzzle him, I could lasso him but that may be so traumatic that I'll never catch him again (he's such a sensitive soul) or maybe he'll realise he won't get away with giving me the run around. I've been going very softly softly thus far and that hasn't worked, it's been nearly 10 days since I was last able to catch him properly.

Out in the middle again this morning, I move the fence and he puts himself back on track :rolleyes: I get him in the pen and he does a few laps (because I stood in the middle) before head down and run at the fence, out on to the track. Put him back with hank too, repeat but out of the exterior fence, then he tried the same tact with the perimeter post and rail (head down and run at it) gave that a good wobble but it held. I didn't let him leave the corner but didn't approach either, he tried ramming through the trees and barbed wire beyond it, tried the post and rail several more times and eventually after about 10mins seemed to realise he was beat and let me catch him. I gave him lots of fusses, some pony nuts, a foot trim (no clue when I'll next get him) and muzzled him. I'm really hoping he'll realise when I catch him I'll unmuzzle and feed him and this sillyness can stop!
I feel a bit bad for him, Hank is chasing him and biting and Dan can't bite back :(

It's strange how he's started behaving like this isn't it? I don't recall him being so difficult at the start? Wow you managed to trim his feet? You are good! Was he okay about it? And not too wriggly?

He was an angel once I caught him :) and I was able to walk up to him twice this morning after I let him loose (though several other times when I was just passing his vague direction he ran off).
He's gone through a few little phases of it, a week after he arrived (last March), a bit in the autumn, then was a nightmare for a good month in the winter, and when jess first started her pen rest in March (that time separating him and hank worked to cure it) but in between he's perfect. I do wonder if it's hank harassing him that pushes him to it, but his old owner said he's been like it since weaning!

Reactions: Trewsers
He was out (in the middle /still within my boundary) again this evening but the muzzle seems to have swayed his position, he called me as I arrived and came straight over :D at least if he's getting out he can't stuff quite so much and is keener to come back and be caught.

Reactions: Huggy
Wearing your muzzle as a necklace on day 2 o_O and out again, didn't even wait for me to move the fence before putting himself back today :mad: I quit!

newrider.com