Dan's at it again

Try a shires comfort one Jessey. They dont have any metal clips. I pop a bobble round the 2 Velcro parts,it will still pull apart if they are caught on something but stops them rubbing the Velcro undone. He is certainly giving you the run around!

Try a shires comfort one Jessey. They dont have any metal clips. I pop a bobble round the 2 Velcro parts,it will still pull apart if they are caught on something but stops them rubbing the Velcro undone. He is certainly giving you the run around!
I'll have to pick one up, that's the first time it's been clean off and a good thing too as he obviously got the clip caught on the net.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
I know you hate it but I’d stick fence him in with two or three leccy strands I front of it so that he’s getting zap and still not getting through. He won’t get legs through it if it’s on the outside of the post and the leccy is in the inside.

Stella was the same. Only thing that kept her in was stock fencing with leccy and a good strong energiser/battery infringement. Anything else got wrecked and burst through including wire

I know you hate it but I’d stick fence him in with two or three leccy strands I front of it so that he’s getting zap and still not getting through. He won’t get legs through it if it’s on the outside of the post and the leccy is in the inside.

Stella was the same. Only thing that kept her in was stock fencing with leccy and a good strong energiser/battery infringement. Anything else got wrecked and burst through including wire
It's not Dan getting legs caught that I'm concerned about, it's Jess and unless leccy is several feet from a solid fence she will get legs in it. To be brutally honest Dan will find a new home before I would put in unbreakable fence likely to hurt her.

One of my fellow liveries has adapted a grazing muzzle (I think it's a Dinky) to make it Shetland-proof. I'll ask her what she did, I know you're really handy.

Reactions: Jessey
One of my fellow liveries has adapted a grazing muzzle (I think it's a Dinky) to make it Shetland-proof. I'll ask her what she did, I know you're really handy.
That would be great, thanks :) the make of the muzzle may be as important as the modifications.
You cant part with Dan. Hes good for Hank. Just not for you at present.
I'm not entirely convinced Hank is good for Dan though, it is always Hank chasing Dan when they 'play', they are good when separated from Jess but when all 3 are together it becomes pretty incessant, I do wonder if that is the reason Dan goes under fences. Rehoming him would be an absolute last resort, I don't want to, but if he were to start getting lami then I may not have much choice if I can't keep him contained.

I spent yesterday mowing the side of the fence he seems to prefer ducking under, disconnected it from the rest and put its very own energizer on it, which meant he was still in the right place when I went back last night, but he was out again this morning :( He is getting zapped, just doesn't care.

Last edited:
With his thick coat he may not be getting zapped. Plus he might be getting in between jolts if hes that quick.
Theres so much overgrowth on my fencing at present that I expect theres very little current going through but I've got some persistent sheep that keep going through my temporary 4 strand wires at present. It's doing my head in as there keen enough to get out but they then stand the other side kicking off that they cant get back. They go so fast that they dont get jolted. I have to walk down the bank every night to get them back.
Only for a few more days though then there moving onto the field we just cut for hay last week. Theres no electric fencing in there and proper solid fencing. There stuffed then. Haha.

With his thick coat he may not be getting zapped. Plus he might be getting in between jolts if hes that quick.
Theres so much overgrowth on my fencing at present that I expect theres very little current going through but I've got some persistent sheep that keep going through my temporary 4 strand wires at present. It's doing my head in as there keen enough to get out but they then stand the other side kicking off that they cant get back. They go so fast that they dont get jolted. I have to walk down the bank every night to get them back.
Only for a few more days though then there moving onto the field we just cut for hay last week. Theres no electric fencing in there and proper solid fencing. There stuffed then. Haha.
Perhaps his coat is protecting him sometimes, but I've seen him jolt from it a couple of times.
but I will clip the little bugger if he will let me near him with clippers, he's generally a very anxious soul, does fine with routine things but anything new seems to unsettle him and that's normally when he gets hard to catch.
He does put himself back the same way he gets out now at least :rolleyes:

Musing on options here, would a few really good belts be enough to stop him, or make him think twice? For a short time I could put up a fence outside of the pen to keep Jess away, then use hog wire (twisted steel electric wire) and put in 3 or 4 strands, run it on a separate energizer so the 10,000km energizer is only running 200m of highly conductive fence, then come up with some kind of wire coat hanger on a headband design to guarantee a bloody good zap the second it touches the fence. This may sound cruel and a little sadistic, but I would much rather be cruel for a few seconds then to have him suffering for weeks/months with laminitis.

If you've got a seperate energiser to target the spot hes going through I would put it on.
Yep I did that on Sunday, spent all morning mowing the fence line, disconnecting the bit he targeted from the rest and put separate energizer on it, he was out again the next morning, but hasn't been since, although I never reconnected that energizer after removing it to go fetch him.

and another 2 visits with him still where he is meant to be. It really is just like a switch flips, the last time I found him out was Monday morning and I changed nothing after then.

Reactions: Huggy
Still in last night but out this morning, not in the normal bit tho. This morning he was outside of the outer leccy fence (still inside the solid perimeter fence) and was quite upset by it, he tried to come back in but looked like he couldn't bring himself to do it and chickened out. There was some torn up ground in the corner by the Hank Hut right under the fence and Dan fluff on the fence, my guess is he was pinned in the corner and forced out on this occasion :( I had to move the fence and go and catch him and lead him back past it, even then he was twitchy and then raced past the fence line.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Sounds like he may have had a good jolt the other day if hes a bit wary. If hes out again later I'd separately energise that bit to booster the bit. Let's hope not though.

newrider.com