Dan's at it again

Sounds like he may have had a good jolt the other day if hes a bit wary. If hes out again later I'd separately energise that bit to booster the bit. Let's hope not though.
I suspect it was last night he had a good jolt or six ;) as torn up as the ground is, it looks like he was pinned against the fence before he managed to get under it.

The fact hes been staying put makes me think he had one the other day. Maybe now hes learned. You'll get there you just need to be smarter than him.

The fact hes been staying put makes me think he had one the other day. Maybe now hes learned. You'll get there you just need to be smarter than him.
I don't think so, he put himself back on Monday morning (the last time he got out), it was right in front of me and no fuss or bother at squeezing under the fence. He has been through several phases of escaping since he arrived, and every time it is like flipping a switch and there doesn't seem to be any reason to it, he suddenly starts and suddenly stops.

A week and a half of behaving, and then out this morning :(
I did find one of the plastic posts had its hooks broken off so the fence was sagging there, it wasn't broken last night and he doesn't normally break anything when he gets out.
He knows he's not meant to be there, he has been angelic to catch for the last week, but this morning he gave me the right run around, I couldn't get within 10m of him before he'd take off. He finally stopped by the broken post, so I was able to lift the fence up from 10m away and he immediately put himself back where he was meant to be and went back up with the others :rolleyes:

You've probably spoken too soon and he'll be out tmw. At least it's the weekend. Oh and he'll wait till you take the headcollar off just to rub salt in the wound.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
You've probably spoken too soon and he'll be out tmw. At least it's the weekend. Oh and he'll wait till you take the headcollar off just to rub salt in the wound.
Yep probably, I had 2 horses visiting last weekend and fully expected to find him escaped and hanging out with them at some point but surprisingly didn't. I know, it will be Sunday or Monday because I'm away and my horse sitter will be complaining about it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Huggy
So there have been a couple more escapes, but just the odd once here and there. My additional fence inside of the original inside fence seems to have thwarted him somewhat as every time he's been stuck on the new 'inside track' not actually loose in the middle of the tracks, so a partial win I guess, and at least he can't give me such a run around in there :) I've been strip grazing the new inside track to get the long grass off it, hopefully once it's right down then he will give up as it won't be so appealing to get in there :)

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
So there have been a couple more escapes, but just the odd once here and there. My additional fence inside of the original inside fence seems to have thwarted him somewhat as every time he's been stuck on the new 'inside track' not actually loose in the middle of the tracks, so a partial win I guess, and at least he can't give me such a run around in there :) I've been strip grazing the new inside track to get the long grass off it, hopefully once it's right down then he will give up as it won't be so appealing to get in there :)
Thank you - just started my Monday morning with a laugh. I'll be laughing on the other side of my face soon, as we've just fenced off the acorns.

The ground was SO hard, I had to hammer big nails in to make a hole for the fence spikes. It's pouring down now, so at least I can get them in properly when I go up later. That'll be AFTER I move Hogan out!

And out every day since my last post, I give up, at least now I just call him and hold the fence up and he comes back so no chasing involved. I have a friend coming over with his tractor next week to top the middle for me, which will mean that fence can be properly powered again (it shorts loads on all the long weeds/grass at the moment) and then perhaps I can keep him in!

I feel for you! I think he's channelling Ramsey - went on all year with him - spring/summer = grass, autumn/winter = acorns. They survive it, but I often wonder how we do. It does create a funny mental image though - you resignedly holding the fence up, and dan resignedly plodding out. ;) ......

2 hours trying to get part of the fence working last night, after replacing everything but the actual energizer I gave up and it was still only putting out 2,000v :mad: get there this morning and I can hear it now working fine (cracking onto the gate that wasn't touching properly) and the little sod was trapped :D he'd gone from the outer track to the inner one and then hit the electric, least he hadn't made it to the long grass in the middle :) I really can't wait to get my field topped so I can sort the fence properly and put a stop to his antics :)

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
I don’t know if you’ve tried these but I found they worked for me! I tied a bit of string from the front of the muzzle side to side (so like a loop) then another bit to the top between the ears from it like an upside down Y shape. This prevented the muzzle being pushed over my ponies nose and hanging round his neck whilst he scoffed!
The other thing I did was to put a strand of electric rope zig zagging from the top of one post to the bottom of the next and so on. It creates more of a solid look and bubbles tended to be far more wary.

newrider.com