Dentists for youngsters

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
The EDT came today to do Mattie and Charlie.

He had a feel around in Charlie's mouth, established that he has wolf teeth (oops, better start saving now) and said he didn't need to do anything else. He said he would have a look each time he came but wouldn't normally plan any actual treatment for a youngster until it was 3. He said, "I like to let the teeth grow in naturally, then I can see what I've got to work on."

One of my fellow liveries said to me the other day, "Of course you'll be getting the dentist to him every 6 months as he's a baby."

I'm happy to believe the EDT, but what do you all think?

eh? Nah. Once a year if they're lucky. Unless there were actual problems like losing weight or general difficulty in eating. Teeth come and go as youngsters. I would not worry unless the horse is looking unwell.

Some folk honestly just want to fuss and throw money at anyone who might be an expert for no reason other than they can.

Reactions: Huggy
If the dentist is going to keep an eye on them when he comes to the others then that's enough, if he notices any problems then he'll no doubt deal with them. Wolf teeth may or may not be a problem later, it all depends on how they come through and what place they're in - by all means save up,but hopefully you'll be able to use the money towards a saddle instead :)

Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
If the dentist is going to keep an eye on them when he comes to the others then that's enough, if he notices any problems then he'll no doubt deal with them. Wolf teeth may or may not be a problem later, it all depends on how they come through and what place they're in - by all means save up,but hopefully you'll be able to use the money towards a saddle instead :)
Thanks so much @carthorse .

Having only owned a horse from age 10 before I am ignorant about teething. I thought wolf teeth were always bad news! And I'm hanging on to Ziggy's saddle for now in the hope that Charlie's Highland ancestors have given him a similar wide flat barrel of a back...

Gosh, no, unless there's a problem, I don't get teeth looked at until I start thinking about bitting them at 4. Lots of big teeth grow between 4 and 5 so it's worth checking that all the caps have come off naturally. When I'm thinking about backing its teeth and bach check first, then you're setting yourself up for success.

Incidentally, Gracie had one wolf tooth and my EDT accidentally knocked it out when rasping.... thankfully it had no or very little root and came out clean.... saved me a visit from the vet. To be honest, not all wolf teeth cause a problem so they don't always have to be removed anyway. Again, your EDT will advise accordingly.

I'd listen to the EDT, personally ;)

Pete still has his wolf teeth and he's 14! It doesn't case him any real issues once we found a bit and bridle set up to suit him.

newrider.com