Dettol as a fly repellent

nicolawx

Legends Never Die
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
www.youtube.com
I've heard many people rave about how Dettol works wonders with the flies.

Does anyone know how much to mix with water as i'm really interested in giving it a go with my SI mare.

I have tried it and it is effective ....... for a while. Like all fly repellents it only lasts a short while. I sponge it on rather than spray it, that way I know it will not go on sensitive areas. Do not soak the coat down to the skin as it may cause problems.

It needs to be well diluted, barely enough to make the water go white. So long as you stick to a weak solution I think it is less toxic than repellents based on citroella oil

I've used a fair amount of it on my two this summer
- I use a capful per bucket & sponge it on anytime they are sweaty. Never had a problem & they always have impeccable skin/coat. As with all things, a patch test is necessary!

Please folks .............

A cap per bucketful is plenty strong enough, no more ok.

As said a patch test should always be performed as well ...

Wondering what ill effects could occur?
After all they market it as safe to use on human skin (diluted of course) so unless a horse happens to be sensitive don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a slightly higher dose to benefit from the smell/anti-fly properties ... ?

I started using it after reading soots exeperiences with it for stopping itching and also reading a horse magazine article.

Gets a massive thumbs up from me and has been great this summer for flies and stopping the wee sweet itch vol gets, he would rub his tail if stood in - squirt of dettol has stopped this completely and help heal any rawness that was there before i used it.

I did a patch test first. I use 50 ml dettotl to 1 litre of water and i use it in a spray bottle but also have a sponge to apply if needed.

As said a patch test should always be performed as well ...

Wondering what ill effects could occur?
After all they market it as safe to use on human skin (diluted of course) so unless a horse happens to be sensitive don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a slightly higher dose to benefit from the smell/anti-fly properties ... ?

My apologies, my last comment was not directed at you. You clearly do these things with caution, hence your advice about a test patch, and when I said that I had youngsters in mind who might use it at a low dilution.

Over the years I have seen the results of some people using chemicals (Mainly cleaning agents) on their horses. A horses coat is a very delicate thing and the protection it gives to the skin can be easily eroded. Dettol is a relatively safe dsinfectant but we are putting it to a use that it was not intended so we should be a bit cautious how we discuss it in public.

Unfortunately we will not get any advice from the manufacturers either. Some time ago I contacted them to get some guidence on dilution levels when used against streptococcus bacteria when cleaning around stables in strangles cases. Their service department replied with this very detailed and helpful information, it read .........

' Sorry, we are unable to help you on this.'

And there was me thinking they knew all about killing bugs!

Last edited:
newrider.com