Diagnosis unknown..........

tetsmum

Dec 7, 2008
Norfolk
This isn't my horse, but was on the old yard we were at. Consequently the horse was starved and almost certainly badly treated.

It has now moved, but is owned by someone of limited means, and I think with limited understanding of horses. I saw her last week in the nearest town and she told me she thought her horse was dying (in almost those words) - the vets were doing blood tests (she couldn't have them back for two weeks though). I have today driven to see the horse.

She said she 'couldn't keep weight on it' - that's true, this horse is absolute skin and bones - but it's bright eyed, came over to the hedgeline in response to my car stopping alongside the field, and was interested and alert.

However when it walks it's backend and legs are NOT right - it's pastern is 'dropped' so when it walks it's back legs drop too far down towards the ground, and the pastern is almost parellel to the ground - it also 'lost' it's legs a couple of times and it's hoof went down onto the toe, almost like a ballerina - at that point it stood still and sort of 'found it's feet' again - it couldn't keep walking.

Anyone ever heard of it.

Recklessly I said to her last week that rather than shoot it she should give me a call............. I know I can afford the vet bills, it's a lovely horse (my daughter rode it last year for some time and adored it) - it WAS a lovely horse - and I have too much grazing and space for a fourth on the farm I am at........

But I think rather than the weight - which I thought was her problem and why she was saying the horse had no future - I think her problem is the hind quarters.

Anyone ever seen this/ heard of it/ need a better description?

DSLD-ESPA (Degenerative Suspensory Ligament Desmitis/Equine Systemic Proteoglycan Accumulation)

I think I've found it...... and it doesn't look very good at all. Unless anyone knows any different? And has anyone come across it before please?

on first descrition i thought of under active thyroid , horse appeas bright and alert though cant hold wieght and just seems to lose it as you watch thm , the easyist cure for that is iodine in the water , a friends horse had that and within a wee you could see an improvement

The back end could be a number of issues which I don't know much about.

But bright eyed but doesn't hold wieght could be stomach ulcers or kidney issues.

Never heard of it but scared myself reading that website - rosie ahs a lot of those symptoms :eek:

Might be worth looking more into the Dr.Kellon's study in how to manage it?

I f you feel you have the resources to help the horse then go for it :)

If he is that seriously under nourished could his lack of strength be causeing the problems walking?? I have seen horses before who pasterns almost touch the floor be ridden and sound, just their conformation, so perhaps you are just noticing this more now as he has these other problems it is making you look closer????
If you are seriously considering taking him on then talk to the current owner and her vet and see what they have to say, it doesn't sound like the vet is really panicing about it otherwise im sure they would have the bloods rushed through in far less than 2 weeks.

newrider.com