Difference between Dutch Gag and Pelham..

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
I'm interested to know how the action differs and why one or other works better for different horses..... all part of my learning :biggrin:

Ed is normally (99%) of the time ridden in a french-link hanging cheek snaffle. For all local hacking, shows, schooling etc.

However, in a sponsored ride situation (group mentality on grass!!) he becomes very strong. For that I ride him in a hard-rubber mullen pelham, with roundings (sorry, but not advanced enough for two reins) and a leather curb. Once cantering it is still impossible to pull him up, or indeed slow him.

My friend, who rides alongside (and is much more experienced than I) says he tooks his chin under and opens his mouth - thus, avoiding the bit. She used to hunt a big welsh X and couldn't hold him in a Pelham (as he did the same action), but she found a dutch gag much better.

I totally realise that different bits work for different horses/people, but am interested to find out more. Ed has been ridden in his Pelham for years.... by previous owners (only in faster situations, including hunting), but I just don't feel it has much control.

Any thoughts please...

(Oh, forgot to add, that we think a flash might also be useful, as currently always in a cavesson).

My suggestion would be to try 2 reins as with roundings it confuses the action, whereas with 2 reins you can use the curb when brakes are needed! For example with roundings, there is constant pressure on the curb and poll and with too much/constant pressure horses will often tuck the head in/get behind the bit and go to escape the pressure. Two reins can be a daunting thought but you soon get used o them :wink:

Other option would be trying either an elasticated curb or curb chain.

A dutch gag should also be used with 2 reins, so you ride mainly off the snaffle ring and use the bottom rein for extra brakes when needed.

I don't really agree that using two reins would make any difference, the main result would be additional leverage on the curb rein which is likely to make the horse tuck their head in even more. If you're using a pelham as brakes I personally think the roundings vs 2 reins discussion is rather academic. Same goes for 2 reins on the gag to be honest.

Both bits work in a fairly similar way, both apply mouth and poll pressure, with the pelham adding the curb too, so in theory it's stronger and more severe. I'm not sure a dutch gag would be any different on this horse, as both act to lower the head. But you can always try, it might be that some of the evasion is about the curb.

A cheltenham gag, which is very severe, doesn't have the same head lowering effect. Probably one I would use with two sets of reins to be honest.

A flash might also make a huge difference, although the idea of using a strong bit and a flash together is a bit:unsure: Maybe dutch gag and flash would be something to try first? I wouldm make sure the horse is comfortable in its mouth and doesn't have any tooth problems before clamping it shut though.

The pelham like kc said ideally should be used with two reins, the top ring acting like a snaffle and the bottom ring will engage the curb chain and poll pressure to lower the head and increase the pressure around the jaw. Excessive use of the curb may be the reason your horse is tucking his head in to evade the pressure.

The Dutch gag opposingly will work to raise the head so this may be an option, again the ideal would be two reins but you may find you don't need more than the top ring, it's trial and error.

The dutch gag isn't actually a true gag ;) It has the same head lowering action as the pelham :) Both have the reins attached to shanks which provide leverage over the poll via the cheek pieces.

Yann is correct - dutch gag not technically a gag as it is fixed... it's a halfway house but still useful.

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_riding_training/tack_apparel/bit_gallery/gagbit_021405/

A pelham is also a halfway house, some purists think it's useless but it works and proof is always in the eating.

A pelham uses a curb chain and the true gag does not. You can use just the gag rein on a gag but just be light as it uses poll and tongue - you could end up flying off the horse if it stops and you're not ready!

I use a pelham as it's not so severe as has a more encouraging action as it uses poll, curb and bars.

It's fun trying though, I love bits!

Thanks all.. I'm going to try the dutch-gag and flash option first (one ring below snaffle ring) and take him on a quiet hack - see how we get along.

As I say this will only be used for faster situations, not schooling or general hacking. For that we will be reverting to the fench-link hanging-cheek snaffle...

When my thoroughbred RIP had real foot issues, my friend persuaded me to take her very old 14.2 anglo arab on a fun ride with her and her cob. She was ridden in a dutch gag ordinarily on the snaffle ring. I have to say, I had a problem holding her even on the lower ring. How about trying a Kimblewick? Slightly different action to a pelham and you could put a curb chain on if you needed to for events. A friend had a similar problem to you and tried a Kimblewick which seemed to do the trick.

Or try a Dr Cook's or other bitless alternative? Really might be worth a go you know :tongue:

:giggle::giggle::giggle: Would happily try in the school, but most certainly not on a faster ride across country - you need to see how fast he can go (and it's not something you ask for :biggrin:) :frown: :giggle:

When my thoroughbred RIP had real foot issues, my friend persuaded me to take her very old 14.2 anglo arab on a fun ride with her and her cob. She was ridden in a dutch gag ordinarily on the snaffle ring. I have to say, I had a problem holding her even on the lower ring. How about trying a Kimblewick? Slightly different action to a pelham and you could put a curb chain on if you needed to for events. A friend had a similar problem to you and tried a Kimblewick which seemed to do the trick.

Hi SJP1 , thank you for sharing your experience!! A kimblewick is another bit that has been recommended to me... will definitely consider that one to try along with the dutch gag... I know of a shop that will loan them out for a small fee :biggrin:

newrider.com