Difficult disiscion...

Feffie

Aug 25, 2010
So from last week the price of my riding lesson has gone up to£19. This is for a one hour group lesson of about 8-10 people. DOn't get me wrong I love the place, I've ridden there since I was around five and have learnt soo much. They have horses for all standards from tiny tots to FEI and my instructor is amazing. However I feel £19 is a little too much I don't want to stop going there but idk :/

Thinking if in the long run it'd be better not going and using the money to perhaps share a horse which would mean I'd be able to get more than one ride a week and go out on hacks etc.

Just wondering what your opinions would be?

Thats why I got a share originally, although at £19 I would have been laughing... at mum and dads I was paying over £40 a hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Up here I was paying £25 an hour

I would look for a share or even become a joint owner like me! It's soooo much more fun than riding schools! A year ago I was riding once a week at a riding school (£22 for a group lesson), for the last 8 months proud joint owner of Harvey. Our grass livery is ridiculously cheap (£35 per month) - obviously there are other costs but he really doesn't cost much to keep in total and because there are two of us we can afford it and it's the perfect arrangement for us! Couldn't be happier...:smile::smile:

Yeah we paid £42 for 45minute group lesson it was £37 for half hour private lesson...CRAZY!

Worth it though, I really miss it. Probably explains why I worked for rides (four saturdays = one lesson) and why I only rode once a fortnight!!! :giggle:

Really wish I could find an instructor like my ones from there up ehre, but no idea where to even start!

Private lessons where I go are I believe £45 for 30 mins, even more if you want a lunge lesson or it inside lol

Would be difficult since I live about a hour away from the rriding school and transporting back and forth wouldn't really be easy.

My daughters RI comes to us, he works freelance on saturdays, at the RS the rest of the week. Lots of good freelance instructors out there.

We pay £20 for half an hour.

I wouldn't really want to try and hunt down another instructor tbh, the one I have I love she knows exactly how much to push me and when to lay off a bit etc, but she doesn't do freelance.

I agree with the other's comments. It would be ideal if you could manage to do both, even if you have lessons every other week or once a month, as money permits, to make sure your skills don't slip.

Do try and find a share - or even an occasional ride to supplement the formal lessons. You may find it easier than you think. A lot of folk find it hard to give their mounts all the work they need, and even if you can't find a proper share (ideal) you may find someone who can give you more riding experience and up your saddle time.

I found a couple of lovely peeps over the last wee while who let me ride (for nothing, I might ad - so kind!) But I do still keep up the lessons (£15 half hour, private). I really like my RI and her fleet of pones, & it didn't seem fair to just dump the lessons because I'd found a ride elsewhere. New rides can throw up new challenges you need some guidance with, and if you're riding someone else's horse it good to be able to solve an issue or improve them with expert help to call on.

I tried local horsey forums, Preloved and asked my RI to keep her ear to the ground for anyone who was looking for a rider. I suggest you try it - there's nothing to lose, and potentially more horse-time to gain! Go for the best of both worlds if your pocket permits!:smile:

That is what I am doing/trying to do.

RS is £20/hour group or £25/half hour private

Shares appear to be 2/3 days a week for £25

I'm in the south wales valleys, more specifically a little village called cwmcarn ^^

I don't have the money to share and have regular riding lessons unfortunatly :( I've been looking for a horse or pony just ride and help out with a few days a week or something btu all the ones I've seen are too far since I can't drive.

How long have you been having lessons? I actually think keeping up with lessons is a good idea. £19 is not much (i pay £30 for 45 mins on my own horse, at my own yard) so i think you are getting an OK deal.

I've had lessons at that place for about 12 years, had a few at a different place for about 2 years before that though.

newrider.com