Disabled sharer/rider

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I am wanting to find out as much as possible for my new young sharer if there is any special help,grants,organisations etc that would be able to help with the costs of any equipment or loan the equipment etc.

I know she does lack confidence currently but I have said both me and my OH will do everything we can to help in anyway we can, So that she can enjoy riding safetly.

I know her disability is in one foot but as we have only just met I didnt want to probe into her business to much. She has only ever ridden in riding schools before so will be learning from scratch the care side of looking after a pony.This is to be her first ever share pony.

If she can get help with the cost of maybe a riding instructor. How will she go on when competing we thought showing and lower level dressage does she just tell the judge?

We have so far discussed a new sturdier mounting block ( i curently use a stool) her own set of sprenger flexi stirrups (I use bent safety stirrups currently) and a handle of sorts between the d rings on a my saddle for extra security but I would need to have something handmade. I know she does struggle with lower leg stability and losing stirrups so would there be any equipment or ideas that could help solve this?

I dont want to be patronising to the young girl I really do want to be able to help her have fun sharing and competing my pony.

Any replies or advice welcome :biggrin:

Last edited:
I can't remember who makes them, but you used to be able to get straps that you attached to the girth and the stirrup to help with leg stability. Also might help finding the stirrup easier if she did lose her footing. The were attached with Velcro that would break open in the event of a fall

There are different para levels for riding. She would have to be accessed. That is something she would need to look into.
She can get items to help with riding, as anyone can disabled or not.

From a personal point of view i have to say when i arrived on my yard and one person had told another person who told another person, i was totally disheartened and i felt very awkward. I know you mean well but i would tread very carefully. Some people don't want to draw attention to anything however slight or major.

For low level competitions no one need even know and that is how the person may prefer it.

Last edited:
To be honest there is not a lot of help for disabled people riding outside an RDA group. She will not have to tell any judges about her disability as it will be disregarded anyway in any competition unless an official RDA/para one.

Depending on her problem she may find cage stirrups safest but to use any non conventional aids in competition would need special assessment and dispensation. Please think of safety as a priority, training straps and sprenger stirrups may not be appropriate or safe. You say she has been riding at an RS, was this as part of an RDA group, if so the group Physio is the best person to ask about aids.

A handle on the saddle is readily available, either by using a flash strap or from the internet. One of my clients brings hers with her and it clips onto the D rings. I personally do not like them and prefer a neck strap if the rider needs a 'handle'

There are different para levels for riding. She would have to be accessed. That is something she would need to look into.
She can get items to help with riding, as anyone can disabled or not.

From a personal point of view i have to say when i arrived on my yard and one person had told another person who told another person, i was totally disheartened and i felt very awkward. I know you mean well but i would tread very carefully. Some people don't want to draw attention to anything however slight or major.

For low level competitions no one need even know and that is how the person may prefer it.

Thank you for the information. I was just asking, I will not be telling anybody there are only 3 families on our side of the farm and I am sure she will choose wether to let them know or not :biggrin:

To be honest there is not a lot of help for disabled people riding outside an RDA group. She will not have to tell any judges about her disability as it will be disregarded anyway in any competition unless an official RDA/para one.

Depending on her problem she may find cage stirrups safest but to use any non conventional aids in competition would need special assessment and dispensation. Please think of safety as a priority, training straps and sprenger stirrups may not be appropriate or safe. You say she has been riding at an RS, was this as part of an RDA group, if so the group Physio is the best person to ask about aids.

A handle on the saddle is readily available, either by using a flash strap or from the internet. One of my clients brings hers with her and it clips onto the D rings. I personally do not like them and prefer a neck strap if the rider needs a 'handle'

EML, I think she was riding in a normal group lesson nothing ot do with RDA. She asked if she could bring her flexi stirrups to ease ankle stiffness :) but I will look into cage stirrups.

Could she maybe have a freelance RDA qualified RI, is there such a thing?

If she had been attending normal RS group lessons I would carry on treating her as totally able and let her choose her own equipment.

This :D

I would only offer her other if you think her or the ponies safety is at risk - always best to start as independent as possible and then look at other equipment - other wise you become dependant on it.

newrider.com