Do Calmers Really Work?

donnamm

Feb 23, 2006
Hi. My TB is going through his "time of the Year" when he goes fizzy when he goes onto the summer pasture and rich spring grass. In the past I have given him a calmer (NAF Magic one year, TopSpec another..). I only ever buy the one tub each spring as by the time Iv nearly finished the tub he is much better.

He went onto the summer grass on Saturday. He was lovely to ride on Saturday but since he has turned into a little horror.

Im not sure I am going to buy another calmer because I dont know if they actually work, or its just the fact that after 4 - 6 weeks he is used to the grass and the sugar content if it starts to decrease throughout the summer, so he goes back to his usual self. What does everyone elase think?

i used a calmer called ex stress on my last mare - and found it worked very well
i have used NAF MAGIC on my gelding and found it made him very moody - i switched to wendals special calmer and was pleased with the results - i cant tell you if it has really worked as it may be pycolgical but i havent dared take him off it to see if he goes beserk without it!!:eek:
the only thing that i KNOW definatly works as ive seen it work right before my eyes is Rescue Remedy x:)

I put my pony on D&H stroppy gelding two weeks ago and it is appearing to start to work as his behaviour is different. It has camomile and things like sculcap which one of my human friends takes and she says they make a difference to her so might work on pony too!

My god...I literally just logged on to start this exact same thread in regards to my stallion!! How strange!

I am seriously considering putting Spirit on a calmer as he is so stressed at the moment with everything thats going on with moving.

Following this with lots of interest!

How do you give Rescue Remedy...have heard of this being used before but not really looked into it.

S x x

I think the question 'do calmers work?' is too great a question to ask.

You need to think about what the active ingredients are in any given calmer. Naf magic and blue chip kalmer use magnessium in theirs. I just give straight magnessium and that worked wonders.

Having said that, Joy has not been interested in bucket feeds now the grass has come in and I find her no more hectic than she was without it so maybe she has grown up!

There will no doubt be horses for whom the magnessium based calmers don't work. Magnessium calmers will only work if there is a magnessium deficiency in the diet to start with, or so I beleive.

So if the magnessium ones don't work then look to calmers with other active ingredients insteed and see if they work and so on down the line until you have either found something that works or have rulled them all out :p

There are several on our yard that cannot recommend Oxyshot highly enough, they are absolutely raving about it's brilliance.

I have witnessed it's brilliance on one horse and it was truly amazing how much it calmed her down, the horse is plain dangerous when being turned out for the 1st time in summer but this year walked out like an angel.

I used Steady Up with my TB when I was combatting nerves. The more nervous and wound up I got, the worse he got, so the calmer really helped because he was so chilled that after a few minutes in the saddle, I started to relax.
Since working on it, he's come off calmers but I won't hesitate to use it again if I feel it's necessary.

If there's no magnesium deficiency, someone I know recommends adding a mugful of camomile tea to their feed every day, but I have no idea whether it has any long-term calming effects. :confused:

Yeah ive read that about the magnesium based calmers...think you can have blood tests to se if it is that...or you can do it by trial and error.

With Rescue Remedy I think you can out it in the water aswell but im thinking you would have to put loads in for it not to dissappear with dilution?!

I put it in his feed night before last (after I posted on here!) and he gobbled it all up and DID seem more chilled...but I could be imaging it!!

S x x

I was going to try the NAF Magic. Hmm. Might try that oxi thing though Sounds good?:D lol

You can but a few drops of rescue remedy on your hand for them to lick off, or you can put it in a bucket of water but we have automatic water dispensers so cant use it that way:S

I use dodson and horell's one - Placid for my TB
Its a herbal calmer, Forest was calmer in his stable but it takes 2 weeks to kick in because its just herbs. He was a lot easier to ride aswell, however he is off it at the moment and we are back to having trouble ridden wise but is still calmer in field and stable as he is seperated out from other horses.
He is only silly if he eats too much sugar or cereals, and is a poor doer!:rolleyes:

I actually found that one really good for him as I didn't want to pump anu chemical based things into him so herbal was a good route for me and he is calmer on it. And it is reasonably priced and lasts me about a month and a half.

NAF Magic worked for me.. I also liked Global Herbs Thoroughbred Calmer.. I accidentally found a cure though! (Well - sort of) .. No cereals. I took G off any cereals (to help his cellulitis) and replaced his diet with a version of Simple Systems - No cereals but plenty of Alfalfa, Oil, Speedibeet and grass nuts for energy .. Hey presto - less mad horse within days..

I do still use a calmer but only on show days at big shows - then I use Supreme DeFuse.

Could someone explain to me how they work? Seems a bit like ADD medication for kids. Never understood them, and google isn't being helpful.

Ring Naf helpline and they will explain whats in Magic and how it works Etc!
Equine America have bought out a new product called magnitude, and we wont stock in our shop purely for the reason that you shouldn't feed pure magnesium, as after a while the hair will start to fall out. If you ask Naf on their helpline why you can't feed pure magnesium they will explain too.

Hope that helps.

Ive just started on magnitude after having a bronking session but then found out it probably a saddle/back thing rather than mental issue. Wheres the stuff about magnesium making hair fall out? is that NAF marketing ploy?

Nope, when the Equine America Rep came into the shop. He was saying it was there best seller and out selling anything else they sell. And we said we wouldn't stock it because of it being Pure magnesuim...and he said well thats up to you and we said well why have u made a product that makes hair fall out and he said Dont ask me im just the rep and wanting to sell the products!
We were not impressed!

Nope, when the Equine America Rep came into the shop. He was saying it was there best seller and out selling anything else they sell. And we said we wouldn't stock it because of it being Pure magnesuim...and he said well thats up to you and we said well why have u made a product that makes hair fall out and he said Dont ask me im just the rep and wanting to sell the products!
We were not impressed!

I have never ever heard that before.

Can you give me some more information :confused:

newrider.com