do horses...

Mine have to know their names, If you are driving two or more horses and one is doing something like jogging when the rest are walking, shouting WALK at all 3-4 is not fair. You must address the individual.

Andy, who is generally better behaved in harness than Charlie, gets really upset if you shout at Charlie without making it clear it's Charlie who is getting the row, not Andy.

Andy is at the back doing his best, and Charlie is out there in front pratting about on his toes! You have to address Charles Buttons Esq personally.....and he knows it.

My others have responded to their names but Roo completely ignores me if I call. However, he does respond to me when he SEES me... he will whicker and walk or trot straight up to me, so I'm probably not helping with the name as I don't bother calling it anyway! :p

I think it may be to do with the sound and pitch of your voice, I don't know if they specifically know their names but they definitely recognise the sound that you make when you do call their name. Toby responds to 'Tobyyy' in quite a high pitched voice when I call him, and his fieldmate will just have a look to see who's there and ignore it after that; but if I say 'Flynnnn' in the same tone, he will come whilst Toby just looks offended that I'm not paying him attention ;):D. He will also respond to 'Toby' in quite a low-pitched voice when he's about to do something naughty which is handy :p (think Father Ted saying 'Dougalll' :D). Although I'm not sure if Toby knows that me saying 'Toby' means I'm saying his name, but he definitely knows that the sound and pitch I make means I want his attention :).

I find myself using a different tone of voice (or instructions given with the name first) so that horses know when I am talking to them or their riders. The horses are generally better at picking up on this than the humans (or so it appears to me!)

Yes my horse definitley knows his name! Or maybe as other's have said it's the sound of my voice.....I'm not sure, but I do know that when I call his name he comes racing across the field leaping like a kangaroo!! :p

Im sure some of the horses ive rode have known their names!
however, one of the horses, you could shout anything and he would still come happily trotting over :)

I think some of them do but my horse looks up in the field whatever name i shout. But if someone else shouts she wont. So i think its just my voice she recognises.

newrider.com