Do I get my horses passport back after death?

I had this dilemma to with Scouts passport and to be honest its been 3 weeks now and I haven't sent it back, I'm sure he won't be the only horse to have gone "off the radar", just can't rick that they won;t send it back to me, hugs to you I know how you feel x

Oh. Ok. I rang them and was told they didnt usually send them back but if i enclosed a SAE then it would be returned.

I might not bother if most people dont. Dont really want to get it back with 'DECEASED' stamped across it in massive letters or anything tbh.

I think they want them back to avoid passports being used on other horses. They often get stolen from horseboxes etc, so have a value on the black market.
Although they say, they will send it back, I doubt they will, rules are rules

But if you have already destoryed the passport yourself *wink wink * they cant do anything about it :) We 'burried' our old horses passport with his ashes ;)

Like you said they will send it back if requested, but unfortunatley they do stamp deceased on every single page, not very nice.

I sent mine back and requested to have it returned. It came back with DECEASED stamped right across it in huge black letters - totally obliterated it :(. TBH the sight of it upset me so much I wish I hadn't bothered so if I were you I would just hold onto it x

I just held onto Skippys. If I was you I would just keep a hold of Curlys. Its just one more stress you dont need.
Hugs to you just now ((((XXXX))))

i never sent bonnie's back. we were told the same, if we wanted it back send an SAE and they'd return it. Then i forgot :eek:

The Passport never actually belongs to you and remains at all times the property of the PIO. It is a legal requierment that they are returned on the death of an equine. The majority of PIO's will return it.
HPA returned one to me recently, no SAE required, and deceased was written in small letters and is not really eye catching at all.

I reckon in 15-20 years NED will have a lot of extremely old horses!!:p

How about just writing it on last page yourself, and when vet is next on yard, just ask him to sign it.:)

newrider.com