Do short stocky dogs have problems?

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Just thinking about this little dog im considering. He has the body of a decent collie but only the height of a small jack russell. His paws are massive and his legs are really thick. He is almost Corgi shaped but with thicker legs. Quite bizarre looking which i dont mind at all, its half the appeal that he is so odd looking but is his conformation likely to cause him problems, perhaps joint problems?

Still so undecided and im afraid it is just me that i have to go through EVERTHING! I need to think of every possible problem.:redcarded:
I absolutely would want to give this dog a forever home so he needs to be right.

The only problems I am aware of for these little dogs is that they tend to think they are big, and get knackered trying to keep up! :bounce:

Personally, I would stear well clear- corgis shouldnt even be bred IMO, they have so many problems bred into them- nature never meant for them to look like they are, and thier joints canot cope with the strain put on them. I think you will definately have joint problems with this wee dog, BUT someone will have to own him... so if you really like him and are prepared to pay the vet bills, bring him home!

4094e769.jpg

Two corgis. Henry and Hector. Our family have always had corgis, yes we've had some issues but all dog breeds do. I watched that bbc documentary about the kennel club and breeding of dogs over the last 100 years - made me cry. I don't know how unbiased it was but certainly it would seem that the breeding of all dogs is an issue.
Anyway, I know you're not asking about corgis specifically, just that the dog you are looking at has the same sort of build so -
The long backs do sometimes cause issues - Henry (black and white) slipped a disc three years ago and we thought he was a goner. It was a particularly rough play session with Hector and my sister's corgi. We think he fell off the patio about two foot down. Over a period of a week he lost all feeling in his back end but after a week at Glasgow vet school he came home and by god can he run (although sometimes his back legs do go in some different directions!!)
Hector is a tiny bit arthritic but its age. He goes lame after an especially long walk, so we just keep them both in regular leisurely exercise and they are fine.
Other than that no.

I agree with FM on the physiology of a dog this shape but I don't think this should put you off having one, minkersmum. As for housetraining and all that, would it not be possible to keep this lad in an outside kennel at your house, too? It would be much less of a huge change for him initially, and after a while you could try having him in the house overnight. This would be the ideal time of year to housetrain him, too, when you can have more pleasant access to the garden and it's not freezing cold!

Btw, for things to "do" with this little lad, my collie x loves agility games, and finds the jumping no problem!

The main issue with stummpy dogs is slipped Knea caps this is evident when you see them throw in the odd skip in when walking . My Jack Russell lived until he was 15 and never had any medical problems other than an abcess. Our German Spitz only had teeth problems and she is 17 (a bit blind a totally deaf but thats age). FM I love your corgis they are so cute.

Last edited:
newrider.com