Do you leave fly rugs/masks on over night???

Fab filly

Feb 26, 2009
Hey!!! My little mare is being eaten alive by these horrid things!!! Got her a fly rug and mask.....never had to use these before.....do you leave on all night?:confused:

Only use fly masks at the moment, but at our yard whoever does the evening goes up and takes all the masks off, i'm sure if we used fly rugs they'd be taken off too.

i take off honey's... she seems to only tollerate the fly mask on for upto about 8hrs - after that she seems to come out in lumps over her head?! maybe a reaction to the material? sweat? no idea?! but fine if only on for the day.... (she's an odd horse!)

yeah my pony has had his on overnight. it doesn't seem to bother him and i wouldn't be able to catch him to take it off anyway :rolleyes:

I leave the rug on overnight. In an ideal world I would take the mask off at night but my horse can't tolerate horse flies at all. As well as becoming really distressed he comes up in big lumps and stresses until I put it back on. I just make sure I take it off twice a day for a reasonable length of time.

We mask in the morning and de-mask when i go up in the evening, but i do make sure i put plenty of repellent on as the flies are still in force well into the evening.

I leave Taras on overnight (Mask and lot) because there's a river at the bottom of the field where she likes to hang about, and midges and flies wake up as soon as the birds tweet.
Also, I'm trying to keep her clean :rolleyes:

Yes, we take them all off once a day to check for rubs, inspect eyes etc. but otherwise they wear them 24/7 during the summer. Midgies are worst at dawn and dusk which is about 4am and 10.30pm around here at the moment, and houseflies and horseflies awful during the day. The masks don't make it any harder for the horse to see than without a mask on a very dark midwinter night (when they manage to see to graze and run around just fine).

They all love their fly masks - I take Jackson's off to ride, and when we get back to the field all I have to do is hold it out and he sticks his own head in - he understands exactly what it does and is very happy to be fly free :)

Bronson and Bounty have theirs on all the time - both have sweetitch so need to avoid midges completely. They only get taken off when I ride them, and I check them over then - neither get rubbed by their rugs :)

Phoenix keeps his on 24hrs just now, I was taking it off at night but the flies have been really bad and he much prefers having it on :) When im in the field I wish I had one too lol!

My pony is in during the day and goes out at night. In his stable he has his mask off, and in the evening he has it on as sometimes he will go out at 4ish when flys are still about. Sometimes they are horrendous in the morning too.

I don't think it does any harm to leave them on over night, the horses in my care etc are quite happy to be left with them on overnight. I think it's dependent on the horse, some won't tolerate them for too long though.

newrider.com