Does anybody know if it is legal..............

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Or if there is anything law wise in place to stop somebody splitting their house in two and selling half or renting half? My brother is thinking of doing such but before he goes down the planning route (which costs and arm and a leg and they won't give advice for free anymore according to their website) I thought I'd ask on here - maybe somebody has done similar or knows somebody who has? I guess a solicitor would know - but they don't give advice for free either - anybody have any clue? I always think it's worth asking on here first - you never know who knows what.....................Thanks in advance.:smile:

our YO did it - split their home in two and extended on the one they were to have - a bit of a nightmare on the extension side though (more due to location and planning than the original house itself) but it turned out alright in the end, don't think any problems legal wise - the initial split and alterations once the plans went through seemed to go smoothly - as I say just an issue with the extension they put on which caused a few delays.
think there was a few hoops to jump and planners to keep happy, the planning process took longer than the work itself as is sometimes the case, they can be jobs worths!

For me I think and money spent checking and finding out any potential pitfalls is well worth it.

I think you need planning permission the split the house in two. You may get away with it for rental but not if you're selling

He's already got pp for the extension - but he wonders if there's anything to stop him living in one half and selling the other - his council website isn't very helpful - you have to pay for a consultation these days. When we did ours it was free to go have a chat with a planner and then you paid a fee when you put the pp forms in.

I've known it done, particularly with larger, older houses. There are many ways of dividing, but most require planning permission.

You are probably right, I think he will probably have to pay the fee and see what happens. I can't believe you can't just go and have a chat with a planning officer any longer - you have to jump straight in and pay a fee and fill all the forms in. Seems daft if you might get knocked back?! I know a lot of councils vary though so it might not be all over England.

Planning permission is usually required as the sewerage, utilities etc have to be separated and extra bathroom/kitchen installed.
The local council will also want to alter Council Tax billing and I dare say HMRC might be interested as well.
Proper legal advice is what they need, there are some solicitors around here who offer a free half-hour initial consultation - might be worth a look around to see if there are any in your area??

ETA: I have found people on this site to be very helpful in the past - might be worth asking on there
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Law/

Last edited:
Planning permission is usually required as the sewerage, utilities etc have to be separated and extra bathroom/kitchen installed.
The local council will also want to alter Council Tax billing and I dare say HMRC might be interested as well.
Proper legal advice is what they need, there are some solicitors around here who offer a free half-hour initial consultation - might be worth a look around to see if there are any in your area??

Thanks, it's for one of my brothers - I will pass this on. :smile:

newrider.com