does anyone else's mares do this?

poniesrule

Oct 3, 2007
South Midlands
Hi.

I was watching my mare,Charlotte in the field earlier that she shares with a gelding the same age as her (in their 20's), and she walked up to one of his poos and sniffed it, dug it up, walked backwards then forwards over it a few times to trample it into the ground, and then urinated on it:eek:

Ive heard of stallions 'stud piling' which is where the stallion marks his territory by defacating on social areas. So maybe, as she is the boss over the other gelding, she is acting stallion like. I dont know!

She is currently 2 1/2 months into being weaned from her foal, and still leaks a bit of milk at times, so could it be hormonal?

Has anybody else witnessed a mare doing this?:confused:

My mare is very similar. When she had a field companion she would pee on top of his dung piles and also if there is another horse's dung on the stable yard she will insist on sniffing it and then pooing over the top of it! I guess she thinks she is the boss of everyone. The bonus of having a territorial mare is that mucking out and cleaning the field are dead easy, she always goes in the same spot and all her dung is in one big pile:D

Mine wee's on the yard all the time when she's in season, she also flirts with the wheelbarrow...hehehe!

newrider.com