Does anyone ride in long boots?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
After three years searching, I finally got the long boots I promised myself. And breeches to wear under them.

Dreams come true - but it has been a culture shock to ride in them.

What difference do you think long boots make to your riding?
And is it easier for an older rider or harder?

I learned to ride like any beginner in jods with a double cuff then short boots and cheap suede half chaps. That turns out to be a lot of padding at the ankle. And I've never known anything else. Without it my feet are on air.

I actually love riding in suede half chaps as they seem to enable me to get a really good feel on the horse's side. The only long boots I like are leather ones as they give a good grip. I'm afraid I loathe rubber boots.

yes, it is different. these days i can ride in any footwear, but it took a lot of concerted effort to get there. keep going - once you get used to it you will love them i expect. much closer feel and able to give more subtle leg aids.

i learned in long rubber boots and when i first started riding in short boots one summer i was all over the place, so with my usual bloodymindedness i wore short boots until i could ride in them!

being in australia i'm bias cos it's waaay to hot to even think bout wearing long boots and i love my cheap suade chaps as they are so cumfy and close to the horse unlike leather or rubber boots

I much prefer to ride in long leather boots.

Did try short boots and chaps a while back as couldn't afford leather and didn't want to return to the rubber riding boots. Was all to sea with them!

When I got my horse I had some Moutain Horse Rimfrost Riders as it was winter, managed to ride fine with these.

When spring came a woman on the yard just gave up horses and sold all her stuff. Managed to pick up a virtually brand new pair of Moutain Horse Sportive High Riders for £60! She had only worn them about 5 times max! Bargin:D !

Love these boots now, when I swop over from winter to spring the feel you have in your leg to the horse is really good, my riding seems to improve no end. To be honest last year wore them all year round for riding in rather than the Rimfrost, as the feel is just so much better.

Don't always have breeches, but wear jobs and just fold the cuff down so it is nice a smooth under the boot, so don't have that bulk round the ankle.

I ride in Mountain Horse long boots, which are wonderfully comfortable. Before that I had long rubber boots, or lace-up short boots. I haven't had jodhpur boots since I was a child.

Long boots make me feel more confident and more competent, and they protect your legs from being pinched by stirrup leathers or scratched by bushes or gateposts. Other than that, I don't think they affect my riding at all.

I only ride in long boots at shows, competing etc. And i do find that they restrict movement to your ankle if you aren't used to riding in them. Next season I will have to start wearing them a couple of times whilst i'm preparing at home before I put them on at a show, so i'm accustomed to the feel of them.

I cannot, for the love of horses, ride in wellies, they irritate me, but I can't figure out why :confused:

My all time wearing Dublin jod boots and half boots win again! :) I love them, can really get a feel of the horses side and give me the movement in my ankle that I want/need for riding!

xx

I tend to ride in whatever I have on my feet. If I am really making an effort though I put my MH long boots on. To begin with they felt weird and I had to lengthen my stirrups (which is a good thing), now I love riding in them and find them really comfy.

xx

I found the transition to long boots odd at first, I had only had short jod boots and then suddenly I got bought some Mountain high riders!!! I loved the look of them but wasn't too sure at first, as I felt like I'd no "contact" with the horses side. It only took me a few rides to get the hang of it and now I couldn't imagine going back to short boots. Anyway, on the one occasion I did wear short boots, my jods all rucked up and rubbed and I ended up getting off.

Argh, never realised there was a difference!

I learnt to ride in short boots, but also had long boots as a child, as soon as I hit my teens I wore short boots and chaps as they hid the fact my jods where too small as I was growing at a rapid rate of knots!

I ride in chaps and short boots, but I'm going to get some long boots for shows, I'm really worried now that my plan to get cheapie rubber ones is going to back fire on me!

I always rode with long rubber boots as a child - except when I was at a show and then wore jodphur boots. As an adult, I either wear my cheap long rubber boots, 'Mucker-type' short boots (in the summer, haven't got any chaps at the moment, but will get some) or my Rimfrost winter boots (long). Not really an issue for me what I wear on my feet :)

Mucky jodh boots and suede chaps for me! Im going to get some Muck boot Tynes tomorrow though, and i also have some Saxon equi-leather boots at home. I've ridden with long and short on and off in the past 10 years so it doesnt take me long to wear into long boots.

Your best bet is just to spend as much time as poss in them, round the yard etc.

When I was a kid I used to ride in wellies, jodhpur boots, long boots or plimsolls depending on what I was doing and don't remember it making much difference. My leg position is pretty appalling in all of them.
When I started again as a adult I wore long boots as I had a pair that still fit. Since giving up smoking and 2 stone heavier I now ride in short boots and half chaps as if I do squish my calfs into my long boots I risk cutting off the circulation.
I find it's like body protectors, as soon as I'm doing something like competing and I'm concentrating I completely forget what I'm wearing but if I'm pottering around I can get distracted and worry about my footwear.

What boots did you get Skib?

I love my MH joddy boots and Loveson half chaps.

I bough MH High Riders for my stage 1 exam and they look good and are ok to ride in but I thought I lost the 'feel' in my lower leg - I guess I need more practice.

Since buying my Tyne Muckboots, I ride in them all of the time as they are so warm and comfy.

Ooooh I lerve my long boots! Rubber ones are a bit poo, I find they can wiggle their way off the end of my heel - probably makes my leg position look unbelievably good but it's an illusion! I've got some of the Mountain Horse sportive jobs for shows, I tried using them for everyday use but they fell apart so I took them back & I just use the replacements for 'best'. I've got some very funky Treadstone long boots with fancy laces for everyday riding, they are lush. I find my leg feels very flappy & bizarre when I ride in jod boots or trainers but after over 30 years in long boots that's not surprising really:D

newrider.com