Does my hat need replacing?

RhiandRath

Nov 27, 2017
I recently purchased a new HS1 helmet and I have worn it about 5 times. I fell off today whilst jumping and landed on my side but my head followed and bumped on the school surface. I’ve had a headache all day and bruised ribs. My question is, my head didn’t hit the floor that hard and it’s a new hat- would you still buy a brand new one? Most of the advice seems to suggest even dropping it warrants a new one. I’m not sure if I’m being over cautious in getting a brand new helmet, but also don’t want to compromise when it comes to my head...

I fell off and hit my head years ago and still have the same hat, did hit on the grass not a hard surface, if i had hit it on a hard surface id have replace it

Unless you can get it checked - some manufacturers offer this service - then I'd definitely change it. As @OwnedbyChanter says there could be, and probably is, damage to the internal structures which may stop it performing adequately in a future fall. It's just not worth the risk, you only have one head.

@Prjsmk I'd have changed your hat too.

From someone who knows first hand how horrible a bad concussion can be please replace your hat asap. There may well be internal damage even if you can't see it and although a new hat is expensive, it's surely better to pay out for a new hat that could potentially save your life, you only have one head, look after it.

@Prjsmk I fell on grass too and ended up with a very nasty concussion - it doesn't matter what surface you fall onto, if your hat has a bump you really should replace it.

Reactions: Prjsmk and Trewsers
I too got knocked out falling onto grass, and spent a week in bed with a debilitating concussion. My boss in Portugal fell in a sand school with a deep surface, was in a coma for a week and still suffers the effects 8 years on. Neither of us had ANY visible signs of damage on our riding hats, not even a scratch. The surface you land on is irrelevant, if you hit your head, replace your hat!

newrider.com