doggy desensitisation =D

crazyhorse97

nervous nellie...
the farm hous next to the yard has an adult irish wolfhound and to absolutely GORGEOUS puppies!

The only thing is, King doesn't like them. They bound up to the fence when bringing him in or turning him out, and there is nother way to his field. He is usually OK with me coz i just dont move when he freaks, and kind of ignore him and tell him to get some b***ls (hard for a Gelding i know but :p), but on he is brought in by someone else at the yard (different most days) he sillys and twirls when they bound, and there is quite a lot of horse there when he does that! i would hate for anyone to get hurt or scared of him because of his sillies. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get him more used to these dogs?

Today me and rhiannon264 had him next to the dog, he shot back, wrneched my shoulder and came straight ack to investigate them. I dont know as he is scared of them, but more unsure as to what they coz they HUGE!!!

Thank you!

xXx

I'm afraid its time, patience and lots of reward and treats. Do as you did today of taking him to the area where the dogs are and just stand with him rewarding him when he is good (brave) and being patient and calm when he's upset. There is no shortcut sadly.

my o/h's mum has an irish wolfhound hes a nutcase lol, and massive, its like havin a pony in the house!!! i duno how u'd go about introducing your horse to them x

Last edited:
Yes, if he gets good with you then there is no reason for him to be scared whether you or someone else is leading him. Once you've got him good, get lots of other people to lead him past and give him a treat too!!!

newrider.com