Don't You Have A Home To Go To?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I accept my location means we will get extra traffic on a Bank Holiday and its half term.
But the volume of vans that passed us were more than a working day! Don't people have homes to go to. Even Tesco passed us twice, on a bank holiday. Do you really need shopping delivered today.

As an aside we are getting Aldi so I exect they will also be delivering alongside Asda :)
I can't moan about excess couriers as I am partly responsible for those to.

But I guess the sad fact is people don't get days off like they used to. In a tourism area there is no such thing as a day off, but we have had all winter. ;)

Hahaha, I had my shopping delivered today as OH was glued to his work and we'd run out of things yesterday. Plus, it saves petrol;) But I know what you mean. Bank hols are just like any other day now. I think they had the annual duck race and steam fair in the village, that would be busy too. I avoid going out on bank hol - it's just too busy for me - not that I go anywhere that often.......:D

Oh God I remember this when I lived on the Norfolk coast....our cottage sat on the convergence of three footpaths and bridleways.......it was once just in the summer and weekends it was a pain, but it became more and more of an almost daily insurgence of happy walkers and their cheery 'good mornings and is this the way to.....' I managed the plastic smile and helpful directions but I feffing hated them all!:p

Its just like any other Monday to me, except work is busier. We don't get any extra pay anymore and don't even close earlier like we used to.

You see Ale I feel you should get time and a half. It's a public holiday. Else why have it.

Last edited:
It's actually not a statutory requirement for employers to give their employees Bank Holidays off, or to pay extra to people who work on them. Holidays / holiday pay are a contractual matter and employers have the right to decide their own terms.

When my parents had their shop, they used to have one employee at a time on part-time hours. They were never asked to work Bank Holidays and most of them were happy with that. But they had one once who insisted that she WANTED to work Bank Holidays but had to be paid double :rolleyes: Uh, no.

Reactions: Ruskii
I work in a supermarket, Bank holidays, glorious sunshine outside, peeing it down, and all people want to do is come shopping !!! Obviously they don't have horse's and nothing better to do [emoji57] [emoji57]

Reactions: newforest
I'm not a fan. I live in the New Forest and getting anywhere involves being stuck behind a flipping tourist who stops in the middle of a single track road to take a picture of a pony.

Get out my way and pull over.

Yes I'm grumpy. I promise I am not normally this miserable !

I'm not a fan. I live in the New Forest and getting anywhere involves being stuck behind a flipping tourist who stops in the middle of a single track road to take a picture of a pony.

Get out my way and pull over.

Yes I'm grumpy. I promise I am not normally this miserable !

I used to live on the edge of the New Forest and I 100% agree. What used to hack me off even more were the disapproving looks when I would bang on my car door to get the ponies to stroll out of the way so I could go on my way. The ponies weren't the slightest bit scared or stressed but if I didn't do anything I'd be weeks late for work:rolleyes:

On one level I so miss the New Forest but this reminds me why I eventually left :(

My parents used to live in Branscombe in Devon. It was fine years ago but eventually it got so busy in the summer and other holidays that the village would frequently be gridlocked. They moved in the end which was a shame as it was lovely.

I used to live on the edge of the New Forest and I 100% agree. What used to hack me off even more were the disapproving looks when I would bang on my car door to get the ponies to stroll out of the way so I could go on my way. The ponies weren't the slightest bit scared or stressed but if I didn't do anything I'd be weeks late for work:rolleyes:

On one level I so miss the New Forest but this reminds me why I eventually left :(

Whereabouts were you ? I live in the Southern parts and going through Brockenhurst or Burley can be a nightmare. I avoid Lyndhurst altogether in the summer :(

We are lucky here that we are far enough away from the touristy bits to avoid them, though our town used to get gridlocked daily but since they improved the A11 it's way better. I don't mind people asking for directions, since wearing my equisafety (polite) gear I get stopped on almost every ride for directions or local info, I just smile, explain I'm not the police and help as best I can :D

Try telling woolly socked walkers that there really is no public footpath and that if they go any further they'll just meet a dead end - over and over and over again.......:p Most take it in good spirit but I've had the odd bolshy one that insists there's a path right through drive and through the front field. There's bulls on the other side - go ahead.........;)

Reactions: Ruskii
We are within sight of the beach. We do get asked if it's possible to get there from the fields. Sure if you jump ;)

The nearby farm has signs on the gates no this isn't a footpath. Our place has private on it and they have actually walked by the footpath.

Reactions: Trewsers
I'm from Cornwall and it's a nightmare in tourist season. But tourism is what keeps the county alive so you can't really complain. I'm more annoyed by the wealthy Londoners coming down and buying the houses that the Cornish can't afford!

Whereabouts were you ? I live in the Southern parts and going through Brockenhurst or Burley can be a nightmare. I avoid Lyndhurst altogether in the summer :(

I was in Bartley but my then sister-in-law lived in Lyndhurst so we sometimes had to brave the traffic even in the height of summer for family birthdays etc. We used to go the back way through Minstead and Emery Down but even then it was a nightmare. I used to ride out at Fordingbridge and whilst I miss the superb hacking and the lovely, lovely riding school, I don't miss the tourists and weekenders!

I'm from Cornwall and it's a nightmare in tourist season. But tourism is what keeps the county alive so you can't really complain. I'm more annoyed by the wealthy Londoners coming down and buying the houses that the Cornish can't afford!
Thats happening here as well. They are building 130 houses nearby only ten are what they call affordable.

The rentals around here cater to a local populas of outsiders who have far more disposable cash than the likes of me and all the time I'm maxed out renting I have no hope of saving for a deposit to buy something, I have only managed to get viewings on 2 places, 1 has a whole day of back to back viewings booked so looking unlikely I'll get it and the other is 10 miles from the horses and 20 from work :( not ideal

The rentals around here cater to a local populas of outsiders who have far more disposable cash than the likes of me and all the time I'm maxed out renting I have no hope of saving for a deposit to buy something, I have only managed to get viewings on 2 places, 1 has a whole day of back to back viewings booked so looking unlikely I'll get it and the other is 10 miles from the horses and 20 from work :( not ideal

Oh poo - hope you manage to find something near your horses. How disrupting for you.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com