Dressing For Your Age

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
OK I just caught a glimpse of Ten Years Younger, that's basically a programme to totally change how you look. You font look ten years younger, as you didn't look that way previously!

Anyhow, apparently over the age of 35 you shouldn't wear mini skirts. I vaguely recall wearing a couple and I was 20 and I felt like a complete tart then!
But over the age of 40 you shouldn't wear any bold written items, well I am not parting with my Joules tops with the bold number 3!
Does it really matter?
I don't wear vest tops I know people on my yard in their 50's doing that. No matter how hot it gets I just don't like them my shoulders burn. So pretty much have to stay with a sleeve of sorts.

PS If anyone knows how to edit the title please say;)

Lol I remember a programme with a lady who used to wear big glasses who reckoned she could give people a make over - maybe the same show?!
There are lots of "rules" as we get older - some I follow and some I don't! Totally agree about not ditching Joules gear! lol I have loads of their tops with numbers on!!! Hehee. I think the key to dressing for your age is to be confident in whatever outfit you choose. I guess I've developed my own style in my mid 30's and its carried on. Would hate to be seen as mutton dressed as lamb! Don't think there's much danger of that - I rarely show much more flesh then my lower arms and face!! I do wear vest tops around the yard but only cos its been warm and only by myself. I'd not inflict my upper pop eye arms on anyone else!!

This thread has actually reminded me of how much I am missing having a normal wardrobe and place to store my garbs. I seem to be wearing the same outfits on a loop system due to not being able to access our bedroom properly. What with my damaged foot I just can't face hobbling over to the house only to face an obstacle course of dust sheeting, kitchen appliances and god only knows what else!!! On the upside if it ever returns to normal I'll be so thrilled with all my "new" clothes I shan't be wanting any more for a while - they will all seem so novel!!!

To edit title click thread tools and then edit. Think you have to go advanced to change title.

I literally have no interest in clothes what so ever, I just wear a t-shirt and cropped jogging trousers outside of work most the time as they are comfy to run and cycle in. Sometimes I will wear a dress but I don't have any style.

Who cares :p I'm 35, I wear what I like! Sometimes fashion and I coincide, mostly we do not :p Last week I bought a rucksack with a print depicting red onion slices (I sh*t you not!), because I liked it :p I also have a hat cover with skulls, crossbones and a big red bobble!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I'm 51 and also dress how ever I like! If people don't like it well you know what, they don't have to look do they. I agree with Trewsers though, I think if you have a good body and you are confident you can pretty much wear anything. I'm often seen up the yard of an evening in my strappy vest top, but though I say it myself I actually have a good body for my age, one that I'm proud of and I have no wobbly bits above my waist, so why not show it off. I don't often get my legs out though as although not wobbly I do have old lady knees :rolleyes:

One of the things I like about having horses is that it gives me the excuse to wear what I want and indulge my natural tendency towards extreme scruffiness and ignorance of fashion, colour schemes age related dressing etc. I am 47 and since I have dressed as if I am middle aged all my life I think I may have finally hit the right spot!
For years pre-ponies I wore black, black oh and black in attempt to disappear and become almost invisible.
These days I have finally twigged that as a 5ft9 lard arse invisibility is unlikely so I have decided to wear the colours I love, namely pink, purple and blue. My entire wardrobe, knickers included, is made up of these colours.
At least when I fall off the air ambulance should be able to spot me!

I really struggle with what to wear and have done since I was about 40. For work I have a uniform (work in a hospital) and most of the rest of the time I wear jods and t-shirts/fleeces depending on the temperature. I have loads of different coats for riding but not many for work/going out - in fact my two 'work' coats (one summer and one winter) are both actually riding coats, just that I don't ride in them - horsey smell/manure stains not too popular in a hospital.

On the odd occasion I go out I really haven't a clue - even jeans seem very dated these days - and I really don't know what to put on my top half. Hate shopping too, so I'm never going to make any progress!

Oops! I'm 51 and this is pretty much my summer uniform (I do change the bottom half for jods when riding ;) )

My hat silk has a bobble on it.
I don't follow the norms but I do like vintage 1950's mainly.
I don't own jeans unless you include my western jodphurs, I have leggings that you can dress up and sort if tracksuit bottoms.
I have 1 black dress, had for about ten years.

Now I'm in my 70s I don't know what is expected so I'm just carrying on as before. Obviously for being at the yard and riding it's jods and polo shirts, I've never worn vest tops I'm not the right shape, so that takes care of 4 afternoons a week. At home it's t-shirts and leggings or shorts and casual going out it's jeans or a denim skirt. For smarter it's a blouse or shirt and skirt or trousers. I don't possess a dress, the last one I had was 20 years ago. I can't imagine giving up jeans, I'll probably be the only little old lady in the nursing home wearing them. To be honest I'm not really bothered about what I wear as long as I'm clean and tidy and dressed suitably for what I'm doing.

I struggle to take an interest, so when I have to do a dress up occasion its a real trauma. My work clothes are black or navy trousers, waterfall cardies, and various tops that don't need ironing, usually the same 5 on a loop and most came from charity shops. Then its yard clothes jods and tops, or jumpers depending on the season and boots. There is a lady at work in her 70s and she always looks stylish and well turned out, she puts me to shame, especially in the hair department. But I really resent paying £40 for a hair cut, and £35 for a top, so maybe its because I am just mean.

I've just done a bit of googling to see if there was any advice for dressing your age but I couldn't find anything beyond 50 ! Twiggy says "dress your attitude not your age"

Reactions: Trewsers
My hair is my biggest expense - I don't pay much for clothes these days (all skinnies look the same on me!) but my hair is so thin it needs a colour quite often and a trim. Every two months its about £70ish. But its worth it to me cos I feel more confident when its done.
And boots of course I colkect those! lol. They are my one weakness....(wonder when I get older I'll stop my addiction?!)

I've just done googling to see if there was any advice for dressing your age but I couldn't find anything beyond 50 ! Twiggy says "dress your attitude not your age"

Is that because beyond 50 you start to wear nothing and are au natural. :)

Reactions: MAC66
I think that by the time you are 50 you have either worked it out for yourself and wont be told, or you have stopped giving a rats @rse what any body else thinks!!! of course some people reach this stage earlier in life.

Reactions: MAC66 and blazer
I like looking nice. I wear shirts and breeches at the yard uniform for work even my gym stuff matches.

I love getting dressed up and I dress for my figure not my age.

I am in the middle of dropping a lot of weight, have lost 1 1/2 stone already with another 2 to go, (Daisy is going to be one happy pony)
Consequently everything is too big, I put 11 pairs of trousers and jeans in recycling bin last week, so I am only buying a few things ATM. I buy things I like, 3/4 jeans etc, casual like, I got to wondering the other day, if at 55, I am dressing too young, but I like the stuff I buy and I think that's all that matters ;) I haver never worn dresses but look forward to my new trim bod and hope to dress a little more feminine when I reach my target.

newrider.com