Driving question...

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
I was just wondering following the rise in number of people riding bitless how feasible it would be to drive bitless?

I long-reined May earlier today, in a headcollar because she needs a wolf tooth knocking out before she wears her bridle again, and she was actually more responsive in that than she is with a bit. Which got me wondering how stupid an idea would it be to drive bitless...

Any thoughts?

I have never tried, I have longreined bitless loads but never driven. Funnily enough I was just talking about it this weekend, in principle yes I don't see why not but in reality I think you could run into major insurance issues as no-one has ever proved it is safe to drive bitless, whereas hackamores etc have been around for years for ridden horses, but not for driven. I'm sure it is possible, just not acceptable by the establishment, I caused enough of a stir going blinkerless :rolleyes:

They are blinkered so that they can't see the cart 'chasing' them and panic. However I would not drive a horse that was not 100% happy with a cart behind him anyway so all mine can be driven blinkered or unblinkered and I do all ,my early training in an open bridle for precisely that reason - so they can see the cart behind and learn that it won't hurt them.

To be honest it is largely a traditional thing. The only time I always use blinkers is in a pair where they could concievably fling their heads about and poke the other in the eye with their bit or on a tandem wheeler (the pony at the back of the tandem) where the rein runs near their eye and could potentially touch it or at least be very annoying for them (in their line of vision all the time).

Hmm... hadn't thought of the insurance aspect. When we get Gelfy driving (if we ever do :rolleyes: ) he'll be in an open bridle - mostly because I don't see the point of further restricting his sight. I hadn't really thought about blinkers with May.

The thought of doing anything bitless with Gelfy is a bit daunting - certainly wouldn't like to put him to a cart bitless! :eek: - but I think perhaps we need to experiment with May... :D She's only ever really had a bit in when I ride her, and recently even that's been a bit haphazard. Most of what we do is done bareback in a headcollar at the moment - to save time, more than anything.

I will get one of them driving this summer...

ust found this rather old thread :eek:

but I Do have the answer .... for anyone who has not yet noticed on other posts .... Taz is driven bitless .. and in five years we aint killed anyone lOL ........

100_1947.jpg

insurance company knows and is OK with it !

we even got to go hc in an indoor driving trials :eek:

http://www.dropshots.com/tazzle

Last edited:
Any more news on the BHDTA indoor lot on allowing bitless competition?

no reply yet .. well only saying that it was a "historical belief" that one need a bit for "control" .... but I asked for explanation and evidence to support that belief and no reply.

However also having questions asked in person by someone( a supporter) on the rules committee of another organisation at their next meeting .... so wait and see.

Have the support of a past driving trials national grand prix driver and she would not put her reputation on the line by being my groom :eek: if she did not believe I had some sort of "control".

i ride my welsh pony bitless, and when i started to break her to drive out the blinkered bridle on her and she really freaked out, and she is usually the most placid, bombproof pony i know (done rda and riding school work), so i decided not to use it, she is now ready for a cart (if we can find one at a good price) ad she is long reined in a sidepull or headcollar without a problem, i think she actually prefers to see what is follwing her, its not so scary then.
i havent found theres any lack of control with being bitless, shes alot more responsive and i have to be really light with my hands on the long lines, otherwise the slightest movement on one of the reins and shes turning:eek:

LOL no angel ..... re the lightness. I let someone who had never driven or tried bitless before have a go with Taz this week .... she was amazed that despite the length of rein how light and responsive Taz was.

She was interested in the BB but had heard some folk say that the "release" was not good ............ well I asked her to think ... if there was no release Taz would carry on turning :rolleyes: . she still a little apprehensive re "brakes" though but agrees that if hoss going bits dont stop either !!!!

Good at listening to her re the blinkers too .......... some don't like their vision cut off like that and prefer to see whats coming as you say.

Taz I'm interested in the driving bitless. Do you just use an ordinary driving bridle or do you use something more special?

Rhi has been rode in a head collar and lead rope quite a lot but has not done any form of bitless riding or driving.

It's something that I have thought of but never tried due to the fact that she can be a bit spooky when she wants to be and also the worry over what sort of control I would have when out on the roads and she gets a fright, takes off or anything of that sort (although I've only known her twice in 5yrs of her driving to take off).

Are they acceptable in the driving competitions?

I have wondered about this for a while - and the severity of bits for driving.

Our Welsh B was broken for driving to give her a job (and exercise) when her jockey got too big - and I have stuck to a Wilson snaffle, despite a Liverpool bit being the 'proper' bit for driving. She is perfectly OK in this .

The only time we have had problems was when an experienced driving bod came to help us. He took a strong hold on her mouth (she is used to a light contact) A pheasant went up in front of her - he pulled on the reins - and she ended up upside down with the cart twisted under her!!!

He didn't come to help again!!

I am thinking of breaking my highland to harness - and he goes well in a french link snaffle and is used to being long reined. I am reluctant to put him into a liverpool bit - any suggestions for bits (ot bitlesses?) for him??? ANd where do I find a driving bridle without blinkers - or do you just use an ordinary bridle and driving reins???

Some driving bridles have removable blinkers. Other than that I just use a decent quality riding bridle with Gelfy.

Further to the blinkers thing.. we did try him in blinkers and induced near panic in seconds. It seems Gelfy would much rather work with what sight he has left unrestricted. I see no point in forcing the issue, so we're working in an open bridle.

So far, no issues at all; even dragging things behind him. I've yet to actually put him to a cart, but I don't honestly think it would be a problem now.

Best of luck with Gelfy Chev. Once you see the work you have put in to getting them there its really fantastic.

I've always used blinkers but that could be due to the fact that when I learnt to drive Copz was blinkered as was Pol.

I've had the harness on Peter and had him pulling things too and he is not bothered. Have done it in blinkers as the spare harness does not have removeable blinkers

Mullet has already pulled a sledge around unblinkered - in driving snow!!!

I just need more time and energy to get this driving thing going (help!!)

Hákon works in an open bridle, It was a decision I made with a good knowledge of his personality.

We tried with Iacs in an open bridle, after several litters of kittens we went to a closed on and he worked sense!

My driving instructor that taught me to drive his Welsh Section A - Willow, had a commercial wedding carriage business with two palamino horses (one gelding, one Stallion) pulling a beautiful landau coach. He was also fully qualified in all the relevant quals and did driving trials and driven dressage. His 17hh gelding had sarcoids round his mouth and couldnt wear a bit at all - my driving instructor had a normal driving bridle with blinkers altered to wear a hackamore, so technically bitless with a bit more control. He never ever had a problem with that and he had to be insured for the commercial business so they must have been ok with that.

newrider.com