Dropped riding hat!!!!

My dad shut the peak of my john whittaker hat in the roof box when we took horsey to Ireland in the summer, the peak snapped a little but I haven't replaced it, I'm not sure if I should although in the back of mind mind I know I ought to?

I first read about the Gatehouse high spec hat in a newspaper article in the Times of 7 June 2003 with the headline
Most horseriders' hats 'fail to protect them'.

The parents of an injured rider Laura Collin were told by the hospital neurologist that their daughter's hat was inadequate for her sport and that riding hats had not kept pace with the development of safety wear for other risk sports. This prompted the Collins to initiate development of a better UK hat, leading to the Gatehouse. The web page reference given in June 2003 to read about tests was the Mark Davies Injured Riders' Fund. www.modify

Probably the following autumn there was a detailed survey of hats in Your Horse and the Gatehouse high spec was chosen as the best buy, smart and comfortable. But a valid point is made that not every hat fits everyone well; it depends on the shape of your head.
I went to my usual saddler (Buttons in Chobham) who stocks many different brands, so you can pick out the one that is the right shape for your head, and the Gatehouse happened to be the one that fitted me.
Later when I fancied a vented Champion, I found it didn't fit. The Gatehouse is the ONLY hat that fits me well.
But it didn't fit my OH. When I took my OH along last Spring to buy a hat, the Gatehouse slipped down over his eyes and hit his glasses. He came away instead with a Charles Owen - also helmet style with a silk.

With hats and body protectors it is no good setting you heart on a particular brand. Safety clothing has to fit properly.

I do recommend the Gatehouse but just one observation. Although I have always had the same size, one of my hats was looser than the others. I believe hat manufacturers use a limited number of shell sizes and then pad them out. Which means you may get some variation between hats which are nominally the same size. Or a shop that is low on stock may offer to pad one out to get a fit for you. I cant be sure this happens, but I would only buy a hat from a saddler whom I trusted and with good stock to choose from and good turn over.

I hope this is helpful.

Hi Everyone! Thanks so much for all the advice. I skipped riding today and went out to shop for a new hat. I tried on a few and definitely the Champion Ventair is the one that seems to fit just right, so I went for exactly the same one. I'll be out riding in the morning and at least I can relax now and know I don't have to worry about if its still ok or not.
Thanks again!

newrider.com