Electric fencing

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I figured I would share incase anyone is interested, it's one of my upcoming projects.

Hank is pretty good with fences, but will push under them and eat the other side...not that he goes right under, only about half way before he comes back :rolleyes::p but I think if Dan figures out this trick then there will be a Houdini club ;) Hank is doing this under a fence that's putting out 10,000v, so the main power output is working fine, but he has a very think mane (he always pushes under with his mane side on the fence, clever little bugger) and is very hairy in winter and as we are on very sandy soil which gets very dry in summer I suspect the normal earth method (from wire > through pony > the ground > earth stake > energizer, completing the circuit) isn't working as well as it could, even with my huge 5ft earth stake.

So My plan is to run an earth wire around the whole fence, basically another row of normal electric fence string/tape, about 4" from the bottom powered strand. This is not connected to the normal powered bit of fence, instead you connect it to your earth on your energizer, so the circuit then becomes wire > pony (unless he pushes the wires together then there will be a big crack even if it doesn't touch his skin :p) > wire > energizer, cutting out the whole ground bit which is not the best conductor :D

Reactions: Trewsers and Prjsmk
They are clever aren't they?!!! Fortunately Storm is terrified of electric tape / string, live or not! Chloe n Zi need reminding....

They are clever aren't they?!!! Fortunately Storm is terrified of electric tape / string, live or not! Chloe n Zi need reminding....
Jess is normally really good, my friend that dropped us at the coast was amazed that 1 string dipping to about 6" off the ground between posts would keep her in. Then about once every three years suddenly she gets on one and will just go straight through several fences, hormones I think :rolleyes:

Ziggy is very good unless he is genuinely starving. Mattie pretends to be very good then goes under/through the fence when your back is turned!

I am on very sandy soil too so will be interested in how you get on with your new circuit.

Reactions: Jessey
We have six strands of high tensile wire all around our fields. This is our boundary fence around our land. We have two stands of earth wire and 4 live.
We use to have 5 strands with one earth strand but it wasn't enough and the sheep, well more the lambs used to go through. So we added a 6th wire and changed which was earthed. Now they stay put.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com