Encouraging forward movement under saddle

shandy84

Oct 10, 2003
Essex
community.webshots.com
Kira is doing well with her groundwork, walking out in hand regularly, longlining in the school no problems, however have a really odd problem, as much as she is happy to go forward on the ground under saddle she's willing to do a lap of the school and then gives up stands still and refuses to move.

She isn't worried or upset she just seems confused as to what I am doing up there. I haven't unfortunatly got a helper to assist, but she's just the same with another horse leading her? Anyone any ideas.

Her saddle fits well and we have no issue with that??

Gosh! My old mare used to do this when I first backed her and I completly forgot about it until now! I used to take her out on a ride and she would just stop. I used to try everything, but she just grew out of it in the end and realised it's far more exciting to go forward!

There's no real slamming, you'll be walking and then slowly slowly (nomatter how much I vocally and physically encourage her) she slowly drops to a halt, then peers round at me :rolleyes: really amusing but not really very helpful

My horse used to look round at me like that when I backed him, he was like right mum what now? I can't remember if he ever stopped with me though... Have you tried just sitting there and waiting? As a youngster she is probably going to get interested in something else and walk forward eventually, so harness that, tell her shes a good girl and end it there after a few steps in the direction YOU want to go in. I luckily had someone to help me for the first week or so walking on the lunge so he got used to being independent without a handler by his side, which had been a constant before.

heheheeee... So you have tried it then :p Hmmm. Shes not daft is she this young lady :D I don't know what else to suggest then without you having a helper, only thing I could think is perhaps her balance isnt quite there yet with a rider, I know my friend when she backed her horse, the first time she got on he felt really quite wobbly and unbalanced, she stuck with the groundwork for a few months and tried again and he was much better, it was as if he was telling her he wasn't ready yet.

Hopefully someone more experienced will have some suggestions for you.

Maybe she is just being cheeky and seeing what she can get away with? Could you carry a schooling whip and give her a flick when she feels like she's going to stop?:)

Are you trying to ask for forwards by squeezing with your legs? Does she understand it? Verbal cues can work but I've known a few horses just not get them when they're coming from up there, maybe picking up on some body language rather than the words when asked on the ground.

I taught my loan pony that didn't get 'walk on' and had the brakes stuck on to walk from a tickle on the bum with a schooling whip on the ground and then used the same ridden. Once she'd got that it wasn't difficult to use leg aids at the same time and gradually transfer to just legs and she ended up a really forward going little pony.

Or if she just stands there quite happily and unbothered by your attempts to move her, and just doesn't bother even trying to figure out what you want then clicker training can be very motivating.

go out instead? is she safe enough to go out anywhere yet? if you wait it out, make sure she stands 'to attention' all the time, ntot slouching and daydreaming. standing is much less attractive when they have to stand up straight and pay attention,

We could go up the little lane, it's about a 5min walk? Any further and we'd be looking at main road work, or if I ask nicely I may be able to access some fields that were hayed earlier this summer so lots of grassy expanse? She is safe out, but does like to look at the traffic I am a little concerned about stoppage on the main road :eek: the other option is start out on foot and mount up a mile down the road when we hit bridleway?

I know this may sound silly mehitabel but how do you get her to stand up when she's ignoring leg, voice and rein? She is generally standing nicely but on occasion has been a bit slouchy?

Thought of another one.. annoy her into going forwards and make standing still less attractive. She can stand all she wants but with neck bent to one side, won't take long for her to want to straighten out which she has to do by moving her feet. As soon as there's any movement let her straighten out and walk. If she stops then bend again.

another vote to ride her out, its the best form of education, you can do pretty much all of the things you can do in a school.
how about some early morning rides (really really early 5am mornings) when theres little or no traffic and just take it from there (and gradually get later and later :p)

is she forward going generally or is she reluctant?
she just needs confidence to move, if shes going "i dont think i can mum" then make it fun, go for a whizz up a field and if you enjoy it she will enjoy it- she will stretch and realise she actually can do it.

schooling is really boring in an arena :eek: or is it just me who thinks that :)

I wouldnt ride her out until you are confident in an enclosed space!!

she clearly doesnt understand what laps are she probably only thinks she has to do a bit and then stop. try turning her on the spot and going the other way, then if she stops the other rein do the same, also try to sit back when you ask forward and always give with your hands, because doing the opposite will teach her bad technique from the start and mixed signals. Im finding with milly i have to be extra clear because it takes 10 times as long to get a horse out of a bad habit than it does for them to learn one! as im finding out. good luck.

Will she lead off Bramble, or follow her? Could be worth making use of Bramble with your sharer riding her, and you and Kira following behind, then alongside, then in front, with Bramble ready to take the lead again if Kira gets sticky feet?

enclosed spaces are just that, if the horse isnt comfortable working there (at the moment, not forever this will be a short term thing before they forget and enjoy been ridden then move onto the next quirk)

you have to move the walls (mental and physical) to make them want to go, circles will be difficult in an unbalanced youngster and will jsut put them off because it is difficult.

newrider.com