Engaging & Interesting Horse Books?

YASMiN___X0

Mar 3, 2009
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
I'm desperate for something new to read, got about 100 books in my room having all been read atleast once, i need some new ideas!
I'm not after "pretty pony" books i.e. Katie Price's lot, something a bit more compelling? I've read Monty Roberts' autobiography and read another called "Whispering Back".. has anyone got any other suggestions? Don't often read horse books tbh so would like some advice...

...yes, i am a slightly geeky 18 year old lol.

Jilly Cooper series (Riders, Rivals, Polo and The man who makes husbands jealous) Are certainly not 'pretty Pony reads' (though I hope you are over a certain age, or else I might leave them until you were slightly older if I were you..!!!

Also, William Fox-pitt autobiography and Pippa Funnll's I have read and Mary King has now just brought one out.

Chosen by a horse - Don't know who by, is a sweet american book. Very touching.

I find Kelly Marks ''perfect Manners' reads more like a book to enjoy and than the normal horsey factual books.

xxx

I reckon you'd seriously enjoy some Mark Rashid, Horses Never Lie, Considering The Horse, and A Good Horse Is Never A Bad Colour in particular. In novel / autobiographical format rather than a text book and incredibly readable and thought provoking :)

"From our side of the fence" by Sandy Lagno
"Ruffian - burning from the start" by Jane Schwartz
"The Grey horse - the true story of Desert Orchid" by Richard Burridge

Oh, and yes, all of Mark Rashid's books, they are brilliant! :)

Oh yes, another one for Horses never lie by Mark Rashid... Also, I brought a book by someone (or I should say a couple) who trained with Kelly Marks. Cannot remember... Oh hang on, I will go and look for it.... It's called Whispering back by Adam Goodfellow and Nicole Golding.

x

I just read a book called 'The Horse Dancer' - borrowed it off a friend and wasn't expecting much but it was flaming fantastic! Read it in 2 days, lovely story.

I reckon you'd seriously enjoy some Mark Rashid, Horses Never Lie, Considering The Horse, and A Good Horse Is Never A Bad Colour in particular. In novel / autobiographical format rather than a text book and incredibly readable and thought provoking :)

Beat me to it!!

I love Mark Rashid, have just got the latest one 'Whole heart, whole horse' only just started it but can tell it is going to be another great read.
Certainly thought provoking. :D

I didnt think much of Pippa Funnels autobiography, loved William Fox-Pitts, and just finished Zarah Phillips but felt it was more about her family then the horses.

You HAVE to read the horse whisperer, and although its a kids book i started the heartland ones as a kid...and finished them as a verging on adult adolescent lol, there is even a series on e4 now, but ive missed most of it :( On that note, i think im going to have to get the chestnut hill serious that i didnt know existed!

I loved when i was little 'Blind Beauty' by KM Peyton, the kid wanted to race, horse was blind in one eye..they went on to succeed, ok so its a bit fairy tale lol, but her step father i believe? was a bit bonkers etc, loved it when i read it, i was about 12 though so may not be as good as i imagined! LOL

I loved anything by KM Peyton when I was a young teen, haven't reread them since but certainly loved them when I was younger.

I keep meaning to get hold of Mark Rashids books.

The other thing I really enjoy, and have done since a teen, is old horse books, anything from the 19th or early 20th century, very enlightening and if you read them with a pinch of salt in some cases can be incredibly informative as well as entertaining. Or of course if you want to discover that people have been discussing these issues for thousands of years read Xenophon!

newrider.com