Epics and Edge differences help please

rockymountain

Jun 3, 2009
Falmouth, Cornwall UK
Hi

I am after some advise really - I hope you can help

I have a horse that has a Rotated Pedal Bone on her front right foot, this was found in August 2010. My vet wanted Imprint shoes on her and my Farrier suggested Boots. I purchased a pair of Glove boots ( which are really nice ). Th eproblem that I am having is because of the rotation her toe is being taken back to the white line every time she is trimmed which is every 5 weeks - Her hoofs are very slow growing.

When I put the Glove boots on I have to use a rubber mallet and tap the toe in, to make sure the bot is on all the way, this is Ok with the left front but the right front she keeps pulling her leg away when I tap so I think that it is really hurting her when I do it.

I have asked the vet to do some more x-rays so that we can see if there has been any inprovement as the last x-rays were done in Augsust 2010 and for the farrier to be there when we discuss.

I was going to see if I can try some other boots that are easier to get on without using a mallet the Easycare in the US have recommended the Epics or the Edge he feet ar 110 wide and 115 long so they said to go with the Epics.

Can anyone suggest what the difference is between the boots as I have no idea and they are expensive so I want to get this right.

I need something that is easy to get on and is secure on the hoof ( will not get sucked off in the mud ).

I will need to have pads in the boot . She is a gated horse so mainly trots a lot.

I do not want to go down the Imprint line but will if that is the only option left for me and then probably the shoes on the front hoofs.

I do not want to shoe an unsound hoof although the vet has said that many horses have rotated pedal bones you just cannot tell unless you have an x-ray and the rotation on all horses will vary. I am just trying to do what is going to be more comfortable for my horse.

Sorry for this long winded message

I thought you did not want to use boots? Is the horse fully sound yet without them yet? i.e. has it recovered from the laminitis? If not you should not be riding it as you will only perpetuate the problem.

You certainly should not need a mallet to put the Gloves on! If she is pulling her leg away when you hit it then yes you probably are hurting her. Don't do it! If the Gloves are a correct fit they slip on easy and even if a little tight they will fit snuggly when the horse puts it's weight on them (in fact that is how they should fit with a slight V in the notch at the front, hence the name 'Glove'). They are a riding boot rather than a therapy boot in any case.

You need to follow your chosen experts advice. The imprint shoe when combined with the proper Vettec support is not the best but not a bad option for a horse with rotated pedal bones.

You can tell if a horse has rotated pedal bones without a radiograph but obviously it is better with one as you can see more clearly what is going on (assuming it has been taken correctly). You really should be having them taken prior to each trim if possible.

You need to get the horse properly sound and then long term management will be the key to keeping her so.

Call me if you wish, the door is always open.

We have had 2 bouts of winter lammi - no rotation but ballet toe issues, the first time took 6 months of 3 to 4 weekly trimming to get right, the second time I invested in a pair of epics, same trimming regime and he was sound in 3 - the problem was mainly in his legs (soft tissue) when the angles changed on trimming but the boots made sure he was comfy, with having the gaiter they kept on an gave a bit of support ( lost once when foot shape changed), they can be a bit tight to get on but have the straps at the back that you pull them up at the heel with so that helps to ensure fit, we have the pads in but only because he has little feet and right in the middle of the two smallest sizes, the pad helps lift them and fit better. We hardly use them now, have used them this winter on the hard ground for a couple of days after his trim.

Have heard brilliant things on the imprints, they where never discussed for us but again as said no rotation and more soft tissue/leg issues during the remedial trim process, but if they had I would probably have gone with them, either way I wish I had gone with the boots the first time.

Hi

Thanks for the replies

Jaimie Hi - Nice to hear from you , I hope you are well? Happy new year to you.

Basically she has never had Laminitus whilst in my care, she had it in the past to what degree I do not know as the previous owner is now not in the country and have not been able to get in touch with him.

She is being trimmed every 5 weeks , the toe is being taken back to the white line at every trim on her right hoof, the remedial farrier does not think that she needs shoes, he thinks that she will be fine with just boots.

I got Lindsey Setchell - Hoofing Marvellous to come over and fit the Easy Care Gloves, which she did. She had been in the Gloves with the 6mm pads since around August, She is lightly ridden around 3 times a week.

The Vet says that Imprint shoes would be a good way to go but the Farrier does not think that they are necessary. The x-rays were taken back in August and now I am getting some more taken to see what has changed. The farrier and the vet will then have a chat to see what the next step will be, hopefully we will see some change for the better.

The Epics are so that I can place the hoof into the boot easily without too much pushing and twisting and especially no hammering. I will also use the 12mm pads.

The farrier has said that she can be ridden as long as it is in the boots, watch her weight and do not put her out in the frost/sun - wait until the frost has melted before putting her out. She weighs just over 400k.

She might not ever be able to manage without boots once this has all cleared up, that I do not mind as long as the boots are comfortable for her.

If there is no improvement in the x-rays then I will have the Imprint shoes fitted, then once the treatment is finished, I am not sure if I will boot or might end up shoeing the front feet but that I do not know. I will wait and see nearer the time.

I know this is a very slow process.

Keep well

The main difference between the Edge and Epic is the closure mechanism, the Epic has the cable and clasp mechanism and the Edge uses the jubilee clip style worm screw and ratchet. The Edge also has a much better tread on the bottom.

I own and use both and my preference would be for the Edge.

Thank you, happy new year to you too.

I hesitate to comment further but For Connie's sake and for those reading who are in a similar position...

Your horse is a low grade chronic laminitic. I've seen her twice (in April and again in June) and both a vet and at least one of the farriers who has worked on her has said the same. This condition needs to be carefully managed in terms of diet, environment and exercise as well as the correct trimming.

It would seem she suffered an acute attack sometime back in July/August when you rightly involved a vet. Since then at least two local farriers and another (good) barefoot trimmer have been involved and from your postings you have followed advice from various sources on nutrition etc.

Whilst I have total sympathy with you, especially as you are a relatively novice owner with an ill horse, I hope you don't mind me saying that I think you have fallen into the trap of consulting too many 'experts' and tried to follow bits and pieces of advice from each of them whilst possibly not following any of them to the letter.

This horse's problem is laminitis. It needs to be addressed and managed correctly. Until it is you should not be riding her. You really need to decide which expert you trust and allow them to address the problem using the methods that they recommend and are familiar with. If you are still in doubt I would suggest you follow your vets advice (assuming you have faith in them, otherwise find another vet).

Let them do their stuff, and give it time because feet do not come right quickly, especially in a case like this.

Good luck, and give her a hug from me. I hope she is feeling much better soon.

Last edited:
newrider.com