Everyone else has one!

Laura4543

May 20, 2019
Hi,

I have been riding for about 9 months now - every Sunday for 30 minutes (and occasionally during the week). I live in London so it is very expensive :)

Everyone in the yard (even some of the children) has posh Ariat long boots but given that I am not a grand prix jumper just yet I think buying a pair would be a tad ridiculous.
And maybe everyone else in the yard would think so too. But I do love riding and am committed etc and I do have a bit of money to spare if necessary.

Anyway I have never really liked wearing long boots.

So I have 3 questions really:

1. Why do people wear long boots?

2. Why do people wear chaps (I just wear short Jodhpur boots)? My jodhpurs have a grippy section around the knees.

3. Why do people wear Ariat boots? I have heard they are great but are they revolutionary! At the moment I just wear a cheap pair of leather jodhpur boots by Requisite. I am wondering if everything will change if I buy some Ariat Jodhpur boots? I must admit I would be a bit disappointed if all that was required was an expensive pair of boots but like good quality walking shoes perhaps shoes do make a difference?

Any advice very much appreciated...…..

I don't like riding in jodhpur boots without half chaps as I get rubbed. I always wear long boots nowadays. I have lots! lol everything from Ariat to unbranded. I have lots of Mountain Horse High riders, sadly some of those have broken zips (but that's another story).
I don't think it's odd if you buy yourself some long boots, if you're committed to having lessons and love it - why not? You can always sell them on via ebay or local classified ads.
Personally, I love long boots over jodhpur ones because I am lazy and find it easier than faffing with the half chaps (which get mud under and then flick off all over the carpet:oops::rolleyes:)
I think my first pair of long boots were Mountain Horse High Riders. And then I got some Rimfrost Riders too.
One thing I will say, if you are saving them for lessons only, they should last a lot longer than mine did. Getting mud stuck in zips is nobody's friend! Requisite from Robinsons used to do some long boots at a good price and the Shires ones are a good price also.
I recently bought some long synthetic ones, (zipped) and they are fab, very comfy and clean up nice too - no polish required lol (think they are HKM brand)

Reactions: Huggy
I would not spend Ariat money on boots for a lesson once a week, having said that I live in Ariats :p I have the short boots and wear chaps for riding and I wear mine at work all day too, they are the most comfortable boots for me, when ever I change to others I really feel it after just 1 days of normal wear, Ariats have a much more cushioned sole compared to many boots and I have never had to 'break in' Ariats, just put them on and go.
There is also a bit of a fasion thing with boots, up to you if you want to be part of the 'in' crowd :p
Chaps or long boots stop the stirrup leathers rubbing and pinching your calf, Joddy boots alone are generally just worm by youths (not sure on your age), most people get the calf pinching/rubbing as they get bigger.
Given how little you would be wearing them, if you are comfortable in joddy boots, stick with those, maybe spend your money on a good hat if you haven't already :)

Thanks you for the advice so far! What is the difference between Jodhpur and Paddock boots? Ariat seem to do short Paddock boots and not Jodhpur boots.

Do paddock boots have a zip or laces? Or are they field boots? lol there is so much choice isn't there? I think Jodhpur boots are elastic at the sides and slip on and off? I once had some Toggi ones with a zip at the front - not sure if they were paddock boots?

Thanks you for the advice so far! What is the difference between Jodhpur and Paddock boots? Ariat seem to do short Paddock boots and not Jodhpur boots.
To me, joddy boots have no zip or lace, just elastic inserts at the sides, paddock boots generally have a lace or zip up the front. Field boots are the long ones with laces IMO. I have the tellurides and terrains, more trainer like boots.

I have both. I have Ariat paddock boots (which I wear with chaps) and Ariat long boots.

I have Ariat because they are one of the few makes that I can get on my feet and are comfortable. I wear chaps because the stirrup leathers pinch my legs if I don't. I only occasionally wear long boots and probably won't buy another pair.

I would wear what you want to wear - who care what anyone else thinks :)

Reactions: Trewsers
1. I wear long boots in the winter, they are equileather and so the mud just wipes off.

2. I have Ariat leather gaiters for summer- secondhand £20. Bargain if I may say so myself. :p
Reason, comfort and I wanted leather this time for a change.

3. I have no idea why a particular brand is preferred. But I can say that the Ariat gaiters are very soft leather and they did a size that fitted me. Tredstep is the other make I know that fit.

I honestly wouldn't worry about what others do. I have black jodphur boots in with chocolate gaiters!
I can pretty much guarantee though if you get yourself a real bargain with the boots, you will walk better in the knowledge of said bargain. :D

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I ride in long country boots in winter. Purely because when I'm out hacking they keep my feet warm.
In summer i have a pair of ladies steel toe cap lace up work boots which I use round the farm. I will ride in them to and just put a pair of chaps on over the top to stop my legs getting pinched. I also find that I get black bruises next day on the inside of my calves if I get pinched. Also I find that my legging and jeans ride up from my boots so I have bare legs touching leather and more chance of pinching and sticking to leather. Chaps help to keep them down. I mainly ride in jeans. This would be frowned upon in a lesson, so I wear I do wear leggings for lesson. Leggings not jodhpurs. But my point is dont do what everyone else does. Do because you are comfortable.
I dont own any ariats.

I have three pairs of long boots - 2 pairs of country boots and 1 pair of riding boots - all Ariats. I didn't set out specifically to get Ariats, it just happened that they were the most comfortable boot for me. I have recently purchased a pair of lovely leather Toggi riding boots but I haven't worn them yet - I only got them because they were being sold off by a store that were closing down at £20 (brand new) - result! I'm saving them for when my Ariats wear out lol.

I also have some paddock boots that I wear with chaps in the summer sometimes. In winter I wear country boots round the yard and change into my riding boots for riding, but in summer I don't want to wear my big country boots, so wearing paddock boots and just popping the chaps on for riding is a more lightweight alternative. But, if I'm planning on doing a lot of walking about - poo picking etc - I just put on my normal walking shoes and change into my riding boots for riding. The possibilities are endless!

If you really want Ariats, keep a lookout online, there are quite often bargains to be had.

I have never gotten on with long riding boots. I ride in either riding trainers or Mountain Horse short boots and half chaps.

I love my Ariat riding trainers, but if you're only riding once or twice a week then there are cheaper alternatives. Having said that, if you like them then there's nothing to stop you.

At the moment I can't afford expensive boots, I've got a pair of muckers that I wear with half chaps, and a pair of muck boot company long boots that I got second hand, and they are SO comfy. I only go for long or chaps because the stirrup leathers pinch me. I f you don't have that problem, and you're comfy, don't worry about it. ;)

Reactions: PePo
At the moment I can't afford expensive boots, I've got a pair of muckers that I wear with half chaps, and a pair of muck boot company long boots that I got second hand, and they are SO comfy. I only go for long or chaps because the stirrup leathers pinch me. I f you don't have that problem, and you're comfy, don't worry about it. ;)

I remember when I was learning to ride, mucker boots & half chaps were positively cool ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com