Extra checks tonight?

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Just wondered if any of you will be running 'extra' checks at the Yard tonight
really?

My two didn't seem to worry last year and can either go in the stable or
stay out, whatever suits them really, but I still think I will be putting in
a few extra runs to the Field to just check they are OK and happy tonight, I am not that far away, there is a large Firework display not a million miles away from them this
evening, they are sure to see them 'going up'.

They will also be getting slightly larger haynets than usual to keep them
occupied:happy:

Not tonight unless I actually hear fireworks. Last year it was just the village bonfire which is tomorrow. I will check once after the fireworks have gone off.

Mine will be checked last thing tonight and tomorrow night. I used to do 2 hourly checks, but always found them grazing as they're really not bothered at all! And, at least so far, there's very little going on tonight. Not sure if that's caused by the fact that it's Friday, it's raining, or we're still in the middle of a recession!

Mine are shut in their stables for a few hours, which means no wine with my dinner :giggle: I'll go and let them back out at about 11.30. The same tomorrow night as well, just to make sure!

Been down to check on ours and found them happily eating and ignoring the fireworks two fields away :rolleyes: The landowner lives on site so is keeping an eye on them anyway.

Put ours in early and went to the pub, just nipped in to check on them and they seemed fine, but as we were checking on them the parking mayhem had spread as far as our field, some total halfwit let off a banger and May managed to headbutt me in her panic!!:banghead:

Interestingly while she doesn't like bangers being let off on the other side of the road a few minutes later she was happily watching a little fireworks display going off a little way away!

Finally managed to get out of the field entrance when the police arrived and closed the road to stop anyone else parking on the verges so it's unlikely I will manage to get back later!!

Last edited:
it's been quiet here too. The display locally isn't until tomorrow night. even then where the horses are it isn't that audible and doesn't bother them. Mine get more freaked out by unexpected visits so we won't be bothering them! it was different on the old yard which was on the edge of a housing estate, then there was mayhem. but it's far quieter where they are now.

i too think the recession has kicked in and people aren't spending on fireworks, area i live in is full of numpties who used to be setting off fireworks for days. Not heard one this week!

I have always checked in the evening on firework night.Not sure why to be honest as none of mine up to now have ever shown the slightest interest of sign of being bothered by them,but makes me feel better to know all is well.

My current field is in my village and few yards from residential area,so do hear/see a lot of them,and was maybe expecting highly strung silly pony to be having a small meltdown,but he was fine when I went down earlier.Well he was fine until I got there anyway,my torch freaked him out far more than the fireworks!!

Loud bangs and coloured lights in the sky are fine apparantly,but mum carrying a torch requires much spooking and running away,and general suspicion on his part,silly pony!!:giggle::tongue:

Went to check Rafi as its the first bonfire night that I've had him but he was fine. All the horses in his block were calmly munching away except for the usually grumpy one, who was hanging over his door watching a nearby display, ears pricked and looking very interested - he was actually staring at the sky waiting for the next flash!

Mine are at home with me and I am leaving them out up the field away from any houses.

If I hear the fireworks getting bad I will take the quad up the field with a whole bale of haylage and hopefully that will take their mind of things.

Our YO does late-night checks anyway and are doing extra interim checks mid evening too tonight to check on the horses (who are all in at night in an American-style barn so can see each other).

The added wrinkle we have tonight is that our geldings moved into their winter fields today which meant they were ankle-deep in grass, so a few of us are worried about colic as well as fireworks. Kal certainly didn't eat up all his tea and was quite "funny" about his belly when I was doing up his rugs, but he had produced a poo by the time I left him so fingers crossed! I have another livery putting his hay in his box for me at 7 so she'll report any colicky behaviour and then YO will be checking as I mentioned.

Oh - and Kal can see right out across the yard and fields from his box (he's at the entrance to the barn) so can see any fireworks on the horizon. I must say that when the neighbouring farm held a shoot this afternoon Kal didn't bat an eye at all the shotgun fire.

I HATE fireworks.

N

Last edited:
I'm not soing extra checking but I've given Lily some pony-nuts in her stable ball to take her mind off it - the racket she was making with it when I left probably means she won't even hear the fireworks!

Both of mine are in, as normal. One ignores the fireworks, the other seems to think they're put on for his personal entertainment!

newrider.com