Farrier problems

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I have had the same farrier for the last 6 years or so for sox. He is very good, he knows sox very well, his quicks, his issues.
Normally i will message him when i need him to trim sox or around the 6 week mark. Within the next two weeks he will get back to me with a date and time. He turns up early most times.
He last trimmed him in Dec. I messaged him at the 6 week mark. Nothing. 8 weeks nothing. 10 weeks nothing. This wasnt like him at all!! Spoke to a friend to Remind him and he has said he knew and needed to fit him in. This was around week 9. I have rang him a few times, told him he was lame and needed him to come along. He did my friends boy today and he said that sox is the only one up this way so its not really worth him coming all this way for a trim. Sox is now on week 14.

All the good farriers are full and are not taking on anymore. I am unsure what to do.
Do I:
Say i will pay him more to cover fuel?
Make sure i book in for next time? Keeping the money the same?
Or find a new farrier?
20240102_162746.jpg

If you can find a good new farrier that's what I'd do, in fairness it probably isn't worth him travelling a distance just for one trim. Who shoes others on the yard? You stand a better chance if you can say that you're on a yard they already visit.

If you can find a good new farrier that's what I'd do, in fairness it probably isn't worth him travelling a distance just for one trim. Who shoes others on the yard? You stand a better chance if you can say that you're on a yard they already visit.
They are already full thats the problem

That's why I said one that already shoes there, speak to them saying that they already visit and since it's only a trim you'd be happy to tie your visits in to their existing clients on the yard - you need to emphasise trim only and fitting in with existing visits.

Reactions: lauren123
I’d do whatever you need to do to get him trimmed this time, pay extra/promise him your first born child, and explain you’ll work on finding someone to take over but he really needs doing now.

Is anyone else on your yard looking for a new farrier, perhaps if you got him some more work there he’d be willing to keep coming?

If not you are stuck with finding someone new, perhaps ask around local yards for who they use, or you’ll have to get on the farrier registry and start calling round some.

Reactions: lauren123
I would look for a new farrier. Really sounds like he doesnt want to do soxs. Are you on local horsey fb pages. Id keep looking at what other people put up.

I often see people in my area looking for a farrier asap as there horse has lost a shoe and there normal one cant get out. I look at who gets recommended.

newrider.com