Feed Balancers - which one to get

Demson

Mar 29, 2004
Northampton UK
www.northantsnaturally.co.uk
There are so many feed balancers on the market now its knowing which is really the most beneficial.

Blue Chip - while my 21yr old pony is in fantastic health (vet says he's like a 10yr old) I have in the past twice used Blue Chip only for him to start refusing just as I open the second bag.

So twice freinds have given an expoensive bag of balancer away for free lol

I am now thinking of introducing it back into my horses feed

So which balancer do you use, why, and how do you compare it to others?

Cheers
Demson

I'll be watching this with interest too. :)

I use Bailey's Lo Cal for both of mine at the mo but am considering my options for Littles coming into winter.

He's 18 and starting and I'm wondering about getting something more tailored towards the older pony although he won't want anything with loads of calories in it as he is still a good doer.

Come on you feed experts, get posting! ;)

I use the Simple Systems feed. Lucie nuts, pure a beet, lucie stalks and total eclipse. Fantastic for good doers.

I use Baileys Low Cal, and it gives my pony a lovely shiny coat and you don't need to feed to much and It hasn't to many calories in as my lad is a very good doer.

Ok, looked it up.. still not 100% sure but... when my horse had a runny bottom the vet advised Naff pink powder to help balance the bacteria in the gut... If that is what you mean, then I use it, I know quite a few others who use it as well. I'm a bit confused as some of the answers sound like a feed, example Hi Fi, cool mix, calm and conditioner ect...

I used Dodson & Horrells Ultimate Balancer for my girl, mixed with some other stuff. It helped keep her going till she was nearly 33, so I'm a fan. It isn't cheap though, but it did last a long time.

Last edited:
oliver started on baileys low cal 3 weeks ago - is already looking a very dlifferent horse & his coat has improved dramatically - it seems to be very palatable too

Well perhaps like I asked you could explain what a feed balancer actually is.. I'm to old to be embarrassed about asking the question.. perhaps as you have stared the thread you could answer the questions posed by the readers of your thread.. I think others are just as confused about what you are actually asking as I was...

What do you mean by balancer? Do you mean a supplement (e.g pink powder) or do you mean a form of feed that can either be fed alone or mixed with others which contains various vits and mins etc?

Oh demson, you edited your post just above my last one.. you were very rude in it.. good job you edited it!

I use 365 Complete from equine answers..
But I have old boys, that need a bit of help with weight, its cost effected and really works.. I much prefer it to others I have tried such as blue chip and lo-cal..

But I guess its each to their own..

If you want a thread on "What is a feed balancer" thats fine I can start a new one but this is for people who do know what a balancer is and what benefits they got from them in comparison to various brands

If your really keen to know you can always look up balancers on google :)

If you want a thread on "What is a feed balancer" thats fine I can start a new one but this is for people who do know what a balancer is and what benefits they got from them in comparison to various brands

If you had read the reply I gave you will see I have already done that!!:D seems not to many people actually know what you meant.. Were obviously a bunch of thickies I guess!!

I think thats a bit rude tbh

Total Eclipse is a vitamin and mineral supplement but Pink powder, Blue Chip, Think Pink, Baileys Low Cal, D&H Ultimate Balancer are ALL balancers. Tbh I can't see any other listed that arn't balancers :confused:

newrider.com