feeding advice for tb

LisaLovesHorses

Mum/skivvy to Victor
Aug 15, 2008
Staffordshire
Hey all! Only a few hours away from the weekend = more horsey hours in the day!

I looked at an ex-racer last night, going again tomorrow, pretty certain I'm going to have him. The girl who has him now is feeding him on chaff and pasture mix once a day. This seems a bit weird to me. My friend says pasture mix is just sugary stuff so not to feed him that but keep the chaff.

What would you guys suggest?

You probably need to know - he's had a few months off work so I'll be bringing him back into work gradually by riding/lungeing for 10/20 minutes four times a week for the first few weeks then step it up gradually.

Chaff is more of a substance bulk feed, its fine to feed to a TB chaff and pasture mix, there are soooooooo many tips of pasture though, did she what kind?

Glad it went ok!! ;)

hope it goes the same for my friend tomoz!

Where's he from anyway? :)

There is nothing wrong with feeding him pasture mix, however if he isn't a particularly good doer you may find that isn't enough to keep his weight on, in which case you will need to change to something more substantial.
Fibre is the place to start, so up the chaff to something like alfa a oil - which has more conditioning properties. Great stuff.
I feed my tb on Allen & Page Calm & Condtion with alfa a oil & supplements, the less good doers on our yard are all on this & wintered really well on it last year.
Unmolassed beet is also good for weight gain.
If you can. avoid cereals & mixes unless really necessary.

Pasture mix is heavily mollassed and can cause hot behaviour in a lot of horses, my Tb goes into orbit on mixes apparently, though I've not given her any myself :D Excess sugar in the diet can also cause problems with weak feet on top of lush grass, but this tends to be a summer problem. Plenty of quality fibre and additional oil if you need it will probably work well and help keep temperament sensible and weight on, along with ad lib hay or haylage :)

newrider.com