Feeling deflated .... insurance grrr

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
They've placed a retrospective exclusion for tumours etc because of a small bony lump on her jaw which I didn't inform them of. My vet has confirmed it is totally unrelated to the mass

Last edited:

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Has your vet told them it's completely unrelated? A small bony lump could be nothing more than damage from an old blow. If they won't revise it despite your vet's opinion then maybe it would be worth contacting the insurance ombudsman. I'm so sorry, it's not what you need at a time like this.

Reactions: Jessey

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
(((Hugs))), it's so hard when you know their time is limited & to have this thrown at you too is terrible. I'm so sorry x

Reactions: HorseHelen

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Hence why I cancelled Kia's, called them after we thought he'd been kicked in the face and his jaw was broken. I was under the impression I had accidental injury insurance, nope of the skin wasn't broken or had to be stitched then they wouldn't cover it. I went absolutely berserk, I'd been paying premiums for the entire time I owned him and with that company with no claim for 6 years.

Next time I don't think I'll bother unless I'm seriously competing as for what I have spent in premiums based of what I have spent on vets with Kia or claimed for I'd have about 6k+ spare in the bank right now just with his premiums minus what he's used :rolleyes:

Reactions: tikkitti

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
So sorry to read this, as if you haven't got enough to deal with already:( I only insure mine 3rd party now and have seperate personal accident cover and often wonder if I'm doing the right thing, but it seems more and more I hear of people being let down my their insurance companies at the very worst times. x

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
So all insurance companies aren't tarred with the same brush, and I think Pet Plan are generally considered a good company so this is even more of a shock, NFU have always been excellent with me & paid out three times on Jim when I really didn't think they would. One of those times I didn't realise I had a potential claim & I was out of date, but they told me to submit & paid out, another I'd put in a claim & they called to ask whether I should also be claiming for additional costs incurred. The final pay out was slow but again there was no quibbling, it just took a while.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
This is crappy, I would definitely have the vet write to the insurers directly, mine tried to refuse to pay out on Jess' feet investigation based on her exclusion for cushings but after the vet wrote them a letter very specifically stating that it was unrelated, def not lami and her professional opinion etc. they did pay out, but not until they had that in writing.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Oh Helen, that's just awful, so sorry they are behaving this way and really hope you can get it sorted out. ((hugs)) x

Spot the wonder horse

Showing Diva
Nov 22, 2014
They've placed a retrospective exclusion for tumours etc because of a small bony lump on her jaw which I didn't inform them of. My vet has confirmed it is totally unrelated to the mass
I just re read this, it really doesnt pay not to inform your insurers of any lumps and bumps! I would still get your vet to fight your case, contact then direct.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
No advice but just so sorry to hear about all your stress with it. Like you haven't got enough to think about!!! Loads of vibes something can be sorted.

joellie

Apr 24, 2011
N.Ireland
So all insurance companies aren't tarred with the same brush, and I think Pet Plan are generally considered a good company so this is even more of a shock, NFU have always been excellent with me & paid out three times on Jim when I really didn't think they would. One of those times I didn't realise I had a potential claim & I was out of date, but they told me to submit & paid out, another I'd put in a claim & they called to ask whether I should also be claiming for additional costs incurred. The final pay out was slow but again there was no quibbling, it just took a while.

I just changed last week from petplan to NFU as petplan put my insurance up again even though I have not claimed..I saved £100 going to NFU. I checked with my vet first if they were ok regarding paying out claims and they said they have never had any bother with them and recommended for me to go ahead with them.

I am so sorry @HorseHelen it is just another worry you could do without. I would definitely be fighting them over this, don't let them away with it.